Buyer bites back! - BMDUBYA
Went to a car supermarket yesterday, drove a very nice nissan primera 2.2 diesel.
I didn't intend to purchase the car then & there, however I did intend to consider it overnight. After the test drive, the sales guy could clearly see that I liked the car, and proceeded to get me to sign on the dotted. I refused as I have a car to sell, which I'm trying to sell privately.
He asked what I would accept, my car is up for sale at £3000, I said I would like to go no lower than £2500. Off he went to see his manager, I nearly fell of my chair when he came back, the most they were willing to give me was £1000, even though he had shown me on his computer screen that £2100 was the lowest price. There was no deal to be done, so off I trotted.
Today he calls me up and tells me "The manager has given authorisation to do 'silly deals' to get the stock moving, as they've had a really dreadful weekend, and he would be willing to offere me £2500 for my car as a part ex" I said that I would consider it, however I have since trawled Autotrader and found better specced cars for around the same money if not less. However if he had agreed £2500 for the car, I think I would have gone for the car, it was nice:-)) I think the moral of the story is to ALWAYS think before you buy and DOUBLE check your market!
Buyer bites back! - GrahamF1
On the subject of car supermarkets, I thought I'd just relate the tale of purchasing my 1999 Passat TDi 110 Sport in October 2003.

Nice helpful salesman, not pushy, let me do everything I wanted to and answered all my questions. Once I'd decided I wanted the car, we shook hands and he passed me on to someone else to sort out the money.

My impression of the way it worked was that there wasn't really any room for haggling at car supermarkets. HJ's buying guides say so, and the price seemed a steal compared to similar models on autotrader - so I didn't haggle.

The guy asked how I'd like to pay, and you should have seen the look on his face when I told him "Switch, please". He was desperate to get me to take their finance package, and when he finally saw that I wasn't silly enough to be persuaded to take it instead of paying in full up front, he couldn't get me processed and out the door fast enough.

The ultra-low price made it fairly apparent that they make all their money on the finance packages, obviously as someone paying in full I wasn't considered a high-value customer!

To cap it all, I asked the salesman what the audio setup in this car was before my test drive. He told me it was just a straighforward radio/cassette, which surprised me in a 'Sport' specification Passat. And indeed this appeared to be the case. But unloading my shopping a week later, I leaned right into the boot to retreive a bag from the depths and there attached to the ceiling of the boot was a CD changer! You can't see it unless you lower your head to the level of the boot lid, they must have missed it!
Buyer bites back! - The Bear
It sounds like another in the long list of selling scams used by our friendly and helpful motor traders. My wife was offered £500 more for a trade in by phone. She went elsewhere, did better and put it down to experience.
Buyer bites back! - Altea Ego
Nissan cant give Primera's away. The dealer is arrogant and downright rude by showing you the book value and then the offer. All in all he should be told in earthy anglo saxon terms to go forth and spread his seed elsewhere.
My apologies, it was an Almera, dont know why I keep saying Primera, they're horrid. Although RF's comments still apply:) Mind you I do quite like the Almera Sport +.
Buyer bites back! - tyre tread
Erm, the Primera is "horrid" while the Almera you quite like.

I looked at lots of alternatives and from a value for money and diesel bang for bucks basis the 2.2 Primera can't be beaten. I ended up with a new 2.2 dCi SVE for silly money from a big dealer in Derby via a broker.

Not THE most attractive car on the planet I grant you but I can think of a LOT worse.

Just cracked the 5.5K miles in mine since took delivery on 7/12 and only complaint is fule economy isn't up where I expected it but I'm hoping it will improve as it loosens up!
"but I can think of a LOT worse."

What?

Buyer bites back! - Adam {P}
You missed an opportunity there RF.

You're slacking...
--
Adam
Apologies TT, didnt mean to offend, oops. I'm looking at the old DI engine and not the newer models that have the Renault Dci engine.
Buyer bites back! - Aprilia
"but I can think of a LOT worse."
What?

One of those cars that has a 'bottom' grafted on.
Buyer bites back! - Stuartli
>>Nissan cant give Primeras away.>>

Puzzling really. All the Primera models have been excellent, well built cars and the latest models can be found at giveaway prices.

In fact Ford based the then new 1993 Mondeo's suspension on that of the original Primera and made no secret of the fact.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Not really,

They are pig ugly, not that good to drive, not that reliable, all in all in bears no history or legacy from the previous Primeras
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I seem to remember that the latest Primera won a shootout with the Mondeo and some other marque's offering in an Autocar road test just before it was launched.
Not really,
They are pig ugly, not that good to drive, not that
reliable, all in all in bears no history or legacy from
the previous Primeras

Er, where does your information come from?

We can argue about appearance, but the Primera is pretty good to drive for a family saloon. Reliability seems to be excellent so far (apart from the crank sensors which have all been replaced under warranty) and the car owes a lot to its predecessor P11 series. In particular the excellent new petrol engines are a development of the legendary SR20-series and the Diesel is a development of the previous 2.2. Lots of chassis design features have been carried over.
My information?

Three days and 600 miles in one. I had it on test because I wanted one (so badly because of the toys)
Bearing in mind this was the same month as testing the goona, mondeo, focus, mazda 6.

It was slow, thirsty, uncomfortable, unrewarding, - possibly the most depressing thing I have driven in 30 years (and I had a maestro). It wasnt me. My wife hated it, My son hated it, the dog hated it and a 150 mile passenger wanted to return by train.

Pretty good and family saloon dont make it in my book.

Excelent reliability?

Trim falling off. Problems with brakes, electronics are all below par. If there was more sold you would hear more of the problems. Ok its probably on par with Renault, but its not on par with Nissan.

More sold - Ah yes there is thing. So pig ugly they cant sell them. A facelift after 18 months?
I was prepared to ignore the pig ugly looks, but underneath its looks was another porker.
Sorry, but your comments are well OTT.
I've driven Primeras too (2.0SE). Very comparable with a Mondeo; a little quieter than the Mondeo, but doesn't handle *quite* as well. Stick a blindfold on a passenger and they wouldn't know if they were in a Mondeo, Vectra or a Primera.

Can you say what is wrong with the brakes, electronics etc?

The Primera engine and chassis was designed in Japan by Nissan and was, I believe, the last Nissan designed prior to the link with Renault. As such it would be 'uncontaminated' by Renault engineering.
Buyer bites back! - Pugugly {P}
pig ugly

getting a bit close now...
OTT? you think?

If I had one I would gladly swop it for Adams booted Focus.

Buyer bites back! - Adam {P}
Well. You could try - I'd sooner have your old Maestro* than that....thing.

*Or even, if I was desperate, the Goona but never the Primera!!

;-)
--
Adam
>>Pig ugly>>

Ah! Love is blind.

Surely you've seen the rear end of the Megane hatchback by now....?

Just what can be done to cure such looks is emphasised by the Megane coupe...:-)
Buyer bites back! - cheddar
Not going to get sucked into this one though reckon it is to do with character.

Laguna and Megane have character
C5 has lots of character though more like Magnus Pike than Robbie Williams
Mondeo is a safer option, not strong character on face value though once behind the wheels it is great to drive
Vectra is a bit antiseptic
Avensis is very antiseptic
Primera is totally characterless

Regards.
Buyer bites back! - Mondaywoe
So.......C5 has lots of character but more like Magnus Pike than Robbie Williams! Magnus Pike is certainly a blast from the past - hands up who remembers him.

Dunno who this Robbie Williams guy is, though..........must be some second rate minor celebrity......

:-) :-)

Graeme (not necessarily disagreeing, you understand)