Volvo 850 again... - bobbylad
Hi all

Further to the auto box query I've found a couple more....

(Volvo 850 GLT M reg, 2.0 20 valve, auto saloon)

There are two diagnostic units adjacent to the washer resovoir. On unit A (with the fly lead) instead of an led and rubber button I have some soldering, a mounted led (looks functional) and two small circular contacts that would have been beneath the original rubber button (obviously the mounting cap that held the original button has been knocked off/damaged.

The dash warning light works ok and goes off after engine start.

Question is...to read any possible codes can i use something like a flat screwdriver blade end to 'jump' across these two circular contacts? would this replicate the action of the original rubber button?

Second question...the switches to the right of the shift selector for 'Sport/Economy' and 'Winter' are in one switch block but don't appear to work correctly. The 'Sport/Economy' button is very stiff and is stuck in the 'Economy' mode (no bad thing) and messing about with the 'Winter' switch did result in a 'W' icon appearing in the dash once, but it's intermittent. I know the box had two new solenoids (?) fitted last year (have the receipt) could the refitting have been carried out badly, resulting in these switched becoming jammed?
Or could it be more sinister, like a deliberate bodge job so these functions weren't accessible?

Thanks for reading this far.

All advice appreciated.

Bob
Volvo 850 again... - pettaw
I would post your question on the Volvo Owners Club forum. There's a guy who made his own LED thingy that plugs into the diag socket, and it sounds like maybe someone has done that on yours.

Also the solenoids etc don't sound like uncommon problems, so I would ask for advice there.

You have to register to post but its free and they're all very friendly. Just Google for it.