tyreweld, how temporary is it? - Drew20
does anyone have experience of how long this temporary tyre gunking lasts?
The nail is about an inch from the wall of teh tyre so is unrepairable in the usual way (so Im told). I do have a can of tyreweld knocking about though and was wondering if this would be any use for a repair.

the car is destined for scrap in a year or so and I'm not keen on spending too much money but if the tyre would last 12 months I'd be happy

ta
Drew
tyreweld, how temporary is it? - martint123
Long enough to get you to a tyre fitters to replace the tyre.
Read what it says on the can. ISTR "Emergency get you home repair"
tyreweld, how temporary is it? - Dynamic Dave

As already stated, tyreweld is a "get you home" repair. Besides which, if you're planning on leaving the nail in the tyre, it will eventually wear an even bigger hole, or quite possibly fall out and give some other poor sod a puncture.

Some people advise against this, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money on the car as it's on borrowed time, pop down the breakers and pick up a tyre. Try and get one from a car that has been scrapped because of rust worm, rather than one that has been in an accident.
tyreweld, how temporary is it? - defender
proper gunk or stop leak will last the life of the tyre it will also stop you getting any more punctures on that tyre ,we use it on heavy duty tyres up to 110psi loading with great results,take the nail out,put gunk in and put the hole to the bottom while inflating=problem solved
tyreweld, how temporary is it? - storme
i used it once,,it last 3 yrs :)
tyreweld, how temporary is it? - tyrexpert
can`t agree with martin or dave enough. never ever use emergency products as a permanent repair. as the nail is already close to the sidewall it could easily cause a sidewall blow out in time, then you may be as scrap as the car. plus the poor sod coming the other way. dont agree with buying scrapped tyres,they are the only thing between you and the road. Budget tyres are so cheap now that even remoulds struggle to keep with them on price..
tyreweld, how temporary is it? - Cyd
I've used Tyreweld twice in my motoring past. On both occasions to plug a small hole made by a nail. Both times the tyre was less than half worn and went on to end up fully worn. The cars in question? A 1.3 Marina with 155R13s - hardly high performance. And a 200BHP Rover SD1 3500V8 with 205/60R15s. In the case of the rover the repaired tyre was on the rear (the driven wheels). You'll need to replace the valve inner after application.
If the hole is large, or on the side wall then tyreweld is unlikely to be any help (IMO).
IMO the warning on the can is there to protect the manufacturer from litigation in the (unlikely?) event someone, somewhere has a repeat blowout on a repaired tyre and tries to blame them.
tyreweld, how temporary is it? - Cliff Pope
Put in an inner tube. Retrieve it when you wear the tyre out, and save for another occasion.
You can't put a tube in a tubless tyre. Tyres designed for tubes have a smooth inner surface - tubless ones are quite to very rough inside and will abrade a tube in no time. Also the nail or the hole it made will wreck the tune in no time.
You can't put a tube in a tubless tyre. Tyres
designed for tubes have a smooth inner surface - tubless ones
are quite to very rough inside and will abrade a tube
in no time.

Not true. I've had tubes inside tubeless tyres for years. When I recently bought a set of new Michelins they gave away free inner tubes to stop older alloy wheels losing air.

>> You can't put a tube in a tubless tyre.
Tyres
>> designed for tubes have a smooth inner surface - tubless
ones
>> are quite to very rough inside and will abrade a
tube
>> in no time.
>>
Not true. I've had tubes inside tubeless tyres for years. When
I recently bought a set of new Michelins they gave away
free inner tubes to stop older alloy wheels losing air.

using a tube to repair a puncture is in breach of the British standard requirements.Trading standards would walk all over anyone who sold them. Whilst a tube can work perfectly for years, be aware that if another puncture occurs with a tube fitted deflation is instant!!!!!
Whilst a tube can work perfectly for years, be aware that if
another puncture occurs with a tube fitted deflation is instant!!!!!

Why? Punctures in tubed tyres are no more likely to be instant than in a tubeless, surely? Remember getting punctures in bike tyres, and pedalling on, stopping to pump them up every 100 yards, hoping to get home without having to stop and get the repair kit out?
The tubes I had fitted to standard tyres were not a local garage initiative - it was a Michelin promotion, to pursuade people with alloy wheels to buy Michelin.
Why? Punctures in tubed tyres are no more likely to be
instant than in a tubeless, surely?

the reason the tyres deflate almost instantly is if you look at the valve stem on a tube it has 3 or 4 grooves in it. this to allow the air to escape which is trapped between the tube and tyre when first inflated ergo puncture the tyre/tube combo and air under pressure escapes very rapidly indeed. Michelin have never ever done a promotion of car tyres and tubes together in at least the last 30 years. ask them on their website. i think someone may have been seriously economical with the truth.
tyreweld, how temporary is it? - Cyd
I thought that if the puncture was in the tread then it could be repaired okay??? Have you taken it to a repair depot?

Also, don't leave the nail in the tyre too long. The nail can get very hot due to friction and can move with the flexing of the tyre. Both these factors can cause the puncture to get worse, with the worst possible scenario being a sudden blow out at speed.
tyreweld, how temporary is it? - defender
some tyre sealant products(as found at www.caravan-car-tyre-repair.com)are not only emergency fix products and help safety by maintaining stable pressures in tyres and avoiding punctures and dangers with it for women travelling alone etc.tyre sellers dont like it as it means less sales and dirty hands when it does need to be changed
Cliff, I have put a tube in many times without any problems .
cyd I also have repaired holes in the tread up to 6mm without any problems
tyreweld, how temporary is it? - mfarrow
What about the spare?

Tyreweld the one with the puncture so it keeps inflated in the boot and hence passes MoT and keep a can in the boot just in case.
Quote from the Dunlop Tyres advice website:

" Dunlop tubeless tyres may be fitted with a tube if necessary except for 65 series and below"

tyreweld, how temporary is it? - Pugugly {P}
Might lead to insurance difficulties when the wheel comes off (IYKWIM. Mark RLBS might enlighten.
tyreweld, how temporary is it? - Stuartli
keeps inflated in the boot and hence passes MoT >>

A vehicle doesn't have to have a spare tyre checked as part of the MOT, worn or otherwise. The boot area examination is to check for possible structural damge.

To the best of my knowledge, a tyre temporarily inflated with the help of TyreWeld is normally rejected by puncture repairers.

If there is a hole in the sidewall it cannot, by law, be repaired and using one with TyreWeld would be a most foolish move; in addition if anyone had an accident whilst using this particular tyre on the vehicle their insurance is likely to be/almost certainly invalid.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
>>A vehicle doesn't have to have a spare tyre checked as part of the MOT, worn or otherwise>>

That should read: "A vehicle's spare wheel and tyre are not part of the MOT, tyre worn or otherwise."
"A vehicle's spare wheel and tyre are not part of the MOT, tyre worn or otherwise."

Unless it is slung underneath and then it must be secure. ;)

tyreweld, how temporary is it? - PhilW
"if the tyre would last 12 months I'd be happy"

And if it doesn't, you might not either. Please don't gamble on it - go out and buy a cheap new tyre. £30 should ensure your (and family's?) safety and peace of mind for a year.

>>Unless it is slung underneath and then it must be secure. ;)
>>

Probably already been collected by some local toe rag...:-)