Tyre Centre Service - Mattster
Had to go to a well-known tyre chain for a couple of tyres to be fitted today. Fortunate enough to know someone who works for well-known tyre manufacturer, so got tyres from him and used card to get tyres fitted for £5 each (tyre fitters have agreement with tyre manufacturer).

Tyre-man expresses annoyance at having to do it at all, and refuses my request to switch front and rear tyres around (due to low value of transaction).

Sure, if he's not getting a subsidy for this, he's probably not best pleased, but such is life. There's no need to make the customer feel bad. And refusing to switch the tyres around is just plain childish. It would have taken about 2 minutes and there were no other jobs waiting.

--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
Tyre Centre Service - Badger
No trade likes labour-only jobs. You were probably lucky to get it done at all.
Tyre Centre Service - Badger
PS And if the card was a credit card, then the company had to pay commission on the fiver as well. Cash would have kept them sweeter, and a bung for the fitter on the side would have lubricated things.
Tyre Centre Service - Schnitzel
When doing such things, I usually hold the note rolled up a bit discretely, and say waggling the hand with the note in it "I don't need a receipt or anything."
I would have given them £10 cash for that job, without causing embarassment. Everyone there's a winner!
Tyre Centre Service - Altea Ego
So you paid 10 pounds for two new tyres - Fitted?

Make the customer feel bad? I dont class that as custom.
Tyre Centre Service - Civic8
If they replaced your tyres. As fast as I had 2 punctures repaired..They dont deserve any extra. Young jobsworth that did them tried to say my tyres were illegal..far from it..Nail in each tyre.£32 and 2 hours later car back on the road.Would not have minded if they were busy. Tell a lie. I was fumming when I left
--
Steve
Tyre Centre Service - tyrexpert
you paid virtually nothing and got virtually no service. seems like a fair swap to me.
Tyre Centre Service - Mattster
Some of you are missing the point here. Sure, for £10 (not including the tyres BTW), I wasn't expecting to be shown the champagne lounge. I did pay cash, so there was no money lost to the credit card company.

If an arrangement is made between two businesses (i.e. manufacturer and tyre fitters), then proprietors have to accept that as a condition of running the franchise. That's just how it is.

What I'm saying is that there's no need to be grumpy with the "customer". It didn't harm his business and it didn't cost him anything. The place was empty anyway. And refusing to do another 2 minute job is just plainly idiotic. I would have been too embarassed to do that in his position.

Life is about being nice and not just about making money.
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
Tyre Centre Service - Drivethru
I agree with you, it is very poor business sense on their part. If they had done the job for you, you would be telling people how good the service was and recommending them so they have done themselves no favours either.