BMW E46 Boot Rattle - drayton
I have a 2001 BMW 325 Cab.
Going over uneven road (raised ironworks, minor bumps and the ever increasing number of sleeping policemen) there is a rattle which appears to come from offside rear of the boot. It only happens as the offside rear wheel goes over the uneven road. The nearside rear does not cause any noise.
We (me and garage) have stripped out the boot leaving nothing loose to cause rattle. Also took battery out to check if housing was secure, which it was. Garage suggested leave car with them to strip down boot. Had not got time and do not want to spend fortune on garage costs that are mechanical.
Has anyone had similar problems?
BMW E46 Boot Rattle - Dude - {P}
How many miles has this vehicle covered as rear suspension bushes may need checking out ??
30000 miles.
Noise sounds as if coming from boot but is just as likely to be a problem elsewhere.
BMW E46 Boot Rattle - Dynamic Dave

You sure it's coming from the boot, and not resonating from the underside of the car. Exhaust or shock absorber mount for example?

BMW E46 Boot Rattle - storme
hi

take some advice from someone who knows :)

get someone else to drive your car,with you sat in the back..you are probably the only one who can hear the noise,,so u are "in tune"with the noise. so only u will trace it :)
i have spent many hrs argueing with bmw dealers about "a noise"

it is very frustrating!!!
so u get in the back,,and u trace it..and good luck

u might,,like i was ,,be suprised where the noise really was coming from...but because i was the only who could really hear it,,only i could trace it :)
Thanks for replies.
Just found a BMW forum site and it seems this is a problem that has occured on new vehicles where the shock assembly needed to be tightened.
Looks like you were right, the shocks need checking.