That bong! (VW Polo) - Roberson
Hello all,

Ever since we bought the Polo some time ago (99/00?) it has had a strange quirk, which no one knows for certain what it is.

The problem is, whenever you turn the wheel onto full lock, particularly when going backwards, there is a pronounced 'BONG' coming from up front. It is a single bong, which can be felt throughout the car. It occasionally happens when going forwards too, but nowhere near as bad. From the outside, the noise a bit different, and from what I can remember is more of a 'clunk'

I had asked the mechanic to have a look the last time it was in for a service, but as I had added a lot of extra tasks onto his list, he never got round to it. Like I say, the problem has been around for a while and doesn't get any worse with time. It has been suggested by my father, that it is a seized strut top bearing; does this sound like the symptoms of a shot bearing?

Incidentally, it never does it again when returning the wheel to its 'dead-ahead' position and the car also has a tendency to stray to the left. Tyre wear is even on both sides.

Any ideas are much appreciated

Roberson
That bong! (VW Polo) - Peter D
This is most probabley the strut top bearing resisting the turn and preloading the coil spring then letting go thus the resonant Bong you hear. sometimes this is due to the bottom 1/2 trun broken off the spring so an inspection would be wise. Jack it up fully and check the spring is located in the cup correctly and the end is not missing. Regards Peter
That bong! (VW Polo) - storme
try this,,,get a cable tie,,,and tie it round the suspension spring,,just to hold it in place..
it if stops the noise,,you will know it is the spring shifting..if it doesnt stop it,,just remove it and look else where,,do both springs

and the above answer is ver y good as well,,listen to the guy,,he knows his onions :)
That bong! (VW Polo) - Peter D
To check the bong after inspection for a busted spring, park the car on 1cm of sand or 3 or 4 carrier bags, it makes it so much easier to trun the steering and a lot less strain on the component parts. Regards Peter
That bong! (VW Polo) - Roberson
Thanks for those replies so far.

At the second before last MOT, it failed on a broken spring, where a good half of one 'turn' had sheared off. Actually it was picked up AFTER the MOT by the guys servicing it!

I'll have another look at this spring (it was not the one that had failed last time) and see if it is broken. Incidentally, when the car is up on ramps (wheels suspended) and the wheels are turned, the noise doesn't occur?

Thanks again.