Breaking/Scrap value - bobda
I have (my girlfriends) a 2002 Saxo 1.1 which was involved in a head on accident about a month ago.

There is no insurance claim as the other driver bailed.
She has been told to scrap it, but it's still on the driveway, lowering the tone of the neighbourhood.

The front is unusable (I think) as is the drivers door. All the other doors are in good condition and it had only done 17000 miles so the interior is still in good nick, as was the outside of the car.

What is the best way to get value out of it? There has been a man round who offered £200, which we refused.

I've taken a few bits off and we're planning on selling them on ebay (wing mirrors, rear lights etc) But how much can we realistically sell it to a breaker for and how should we go about doing it?

Pics...
alfa145.com/upload/DSC00426.JPG
alfa145.com/upload/DSC00427.JPG
alfa145.com/upload/DSC00428.JPG
alfa145.com/upload/DSC00430.JPG
alfa145.com/upload/DSC00431.JPG
alfa145.com/upload/DSC00433.JPG
alfa145.com/upload/DSC00439.JPG
alfa145.com/upload/DSC00440.JPG

(She was ok, by the way)
Breaking/Scrap value - richy
Bob, where abouts are you? if local to Shrewsbury then I may be able to help.
Local-ish.

The car is in Southport.
I'm in Liverpool.
Breaking/Scrap value - richy
Not to worry then Bob, I would only be making pocket money out of it anyway. Not worth the travelling.
Breaking/Scrap value - BobbyG
Obvious question, but was she not covered fully comprehensive insurance for a 2/3 year old car?
Nope, it was TPFT.

The other car's insurance company got in touch last week and asked if she was pursuing a claim against the other car's insurance.
We thought they needed to identify a driver first, and as far as we know, the police haven't done that yet.

It's all a bit of a mess, really.
Either way, the car's getting scrapped.
Breaking/Scrap value - daveyK_UK
im interested in a few bits before you do?

does it have a cassette or cd player?
also after the window positioner interior knob thingy.

also interested in your wheels and the wheel trims.
It had a CD player.

Unfortunately we've taken it out and are more than likely going to be keeping it and putting it in her temporary car.

The wheels may be hard to arrange. If it's getting scrapped after selling bits from it, then it'll need to be taken on a low loader, and I reckon we'll need the wheels on for that! Plus, the front O/S took a hefty whack, so I don't know if that wheel is still totally straight.
You're welcome to the wheel trims, though, but they are a bit scuffed! :)

Do you mean the front electric window switches? If you do, I can get them out for you.
No,
i meant the piece of plastic used to arrange the position of the side mirrors from inside the car.

i know its a tiny piece - but its missing of my wifes fleet car and its going back in a few months.
she will be charged full whack for it otherwise if spotted.

how much for this piece and the trims?

also, i sometimes travel to ainsdale, southport with work (infact i might be their on friday) - how far away form ainsdale are you?

Ah, I know what you mean.

I think those bits are attached to the mirror directly, we were hoping to sell the mirrors as a whole unit.

I'll ask the girlfriend, though, because it's her car.
The car is in Ainsdale itself, near the station.
Breaking/Scrap value - Ex-Moderator
This thread bothers me, although I can't put my finger on exactly why. I'll put in some thoughts on the insurance possibilities here and then I think that sometiem tomorrow I shall remove references to circumstances from the thread and return it to talking about breaking & scrap value;

Firstly there are very few possibilities here;

Driver was legitimate insured driver of the vehicle in which case their insurer will pay.

Driver was not legitimate driver in which case either he gets done for stealing it or owner gets done for aiding and abetting no insurance - which even these days is nto a good thing.

Car was stolen in which case you need to check it was reported as such with the police.

Option 1, then why wouldn;t you claim ?

Option 2, then why wouldn't you go to the small claims court ?

Assuming option three, then see David's note below.

If there is some possibility of a claim, then you better get that vehicle inspected before you get rid of it or take it apart, and preferably give the tp insurers the option of looking at it.

You'd better also keep a check of how much you get since that will need to be deducted from the loss amount.

I don't understand why you are not pursuing a claim. You should get some serious professional advice, and since there is the potential that some law breaking took place, then this isn't the place to get it.

Mark.
Driver was legitimate insured driver of the vehicle in which >> case their insurer will pay.

We don't know who the driver was. They ran away from the scene (on foot).
Driver was not legitimate driver in which case either he gets
done for stealing it or owner gets done for aiding and
abetting no insurance - which even these days is nto a
good thing.

The driver of the car can't be prosecuted, see above. The car wasn't reported stolen at the time of the incident, the police went round to the registered address, the same evening, but there was no reply (they could simply have been out, though).
Car was stolen in which case you need to check it
was reported as such with the police.

As I say, as far as we know, it wasn't, and still isn't, reported stolen.
Option 1, then why wouldn;t you claim ?

Because there needs to be an identified driver for a 'normal' claim to go ahead.
Option 2, then why wouldn't you go to the small claims
court ?

I think that's the same kind of thing as the Motor Insurers Bureau, which is what it's going through, at the moment.
Assuming option three, then see David's note below.
If there is some possibility of a claim, then you better
get that vehicle inspected before you get rid of it or
take it apart, and preferably give the tp insurers the option
of looking at it.

It's already been inspected by an engineer, who has produced a detailed report, stating that it is a write off. Her insurers are out of the picture, as they would only cover damages caused to a third party. We've told them about the incident and they have said there is nothing they can do.
You'd better also keep a check of how much you get
since that will need to be deducted from the loss amount.

The advice from her solicitor was to scrap it. The engineer also added that it was worth £175 scrap. We're just trying to maximise the amount she gets back from it.
I don't understand why you are not pursuing a claim. You
should get some serious professional advice, and since there is the
potential that some law breaking took place, then this isn't the
place to get it.

Thanks.
It is being dealt with by a solicitor, though. That's who told us to scrap the car, and that's who said that it was fine for us to strip bits from it.

Maybe I should clarify the whole situation...

#It went to a solicitor who started all the MIB proceedings. The MIB compensate people who have been involved in a no-fault accident with an uninsured vehicle.

An engineer was appointed by the solicitor and he assessed the car. It was determined a write off, stating the repair would cost £4300 (the car is worth about £4200), and that was assuming no damage to the gearbox/engine. (The box is knackered, I've tried it, and the engine block is dented )

But two weeks ago (three weeks after the initial accident) she received a letter from the solicitor saying that the other car was insured, and it would probably be worth pursuing a claim against the other insurance company.

THEN....the next week, the other vehicle's insurance company called her up, to ask if they could send an assessor round to view the car. They also ask if she is claiming off the other driver's insurance.
This is the confusing bit, because as far as we are aware, the police haven't identified the other driver, and the other car hasn't yet been reported stolen.

She told the other insurance company that we'd stripped some bits off it to sell, and they said that was fine and understandable.

Hopefully, it'll go through the other insurance company, that way the claim will be settled sooner.
Breaking/Scrap value - Cas
Can't be of help with the scrap, but have something that may be of use with insurance claim. My sister was involved in a motorway collision with a joyrider a couple of years back. He legged it, but there was a claims avenue through a public fund in N Ireland (where it happened) that covers this sort of thing. She got her money back this way for the damage to her car plus injuries, despite the owner of the other car not being the driver and the joyrider never being found.

Worth checking out to see if your girlfriend could do similar.
Breaking/Scrap value - DavidHM
Before you do anything further, did you have legal expenses cover with your TPF&T, or was it a question of seeing insurance as merely an expense and keeping the premium as low as possible? If you have legal expenses cover, it may be worth using that to pursue the other car's owner (via his insurers).

This is lifted from the Davies Lavery website - bear in mind that this is a firm that is quite well known for their insurance practice - tinyurl.com/59j4x

RTA Insurer
An RTA insurer must pay an unsatisfied judgement obtained against their insured - even if there has been a breach of the policy condition. The moment an insurance certificate is delivered, the issuer will be an RTA Insurer in the following cases:

• There has been a breach of the policy condition
  • The driver of the insured's vehicle was not covered by the policy
  • The vehicle was being driven by an identified thief
  • The policy has been cancelled, but the certificate was not returned
  • There has been a non-disclosure of material fact
  • The accident occurs within 15 days of a lapse of the policy - alternatively, a renewal notice has been issued, but the insured has no proven contention to renew it.

Bear in mind that if you do have any compensation, that amount will be deducted by anything you receive for parts that you sell off the car, so it may not be in your best interests to break anything now, until your insurers (and/or the CAB or, as a last resort, lawyers) have been put to work.

It will be difficult to get funding through a conditional fee agreement because of the low value of the car (about £4,000, less its scrap value, of say £1k), which puts it below the £5,000 level where costs are normally recoverable.

However your partner was injured of course then the claim becomes primarily a personal injury one and the funding rules change in your favour, allowing you to go for a 'no win, no fee' agreement where only £1,000 of personal injury compensation is required and the financial loss through the damage to the car is easily added on to the rest of the case.
  • Breaking/Scrap value - bobda
    I've just found this on the MIB website (www.mib.org.uk)

"Your claim should be directed to the insurers of the [other] vehicle as, even though the policy may exclude the driver, the insurer's statutory obligations under the Road Traffic Act 1988, Section 151 should require the insurer to deal with your claim.

However, if the insurer rejects your claim you should complete an application form for a claim under the "Uninsured Drivers" Agreement and forward it to MIB, together with copies of the correspondence with the owners of the vehicle and the insurer."