VW Passat 2001 - Electric Window Problem - wonderwheels
My passenger side electric window has stopped working.VW Passat 1.9TDi (2001).It has 57K on the clock.It stopped working a couple of weeks ago when I was putting it "up".It went very slow, got stuck,"clunked" at totally stopped.You can move the glass by hand now.If you operate the switch you can hear the motor driving (very rough)but the window no longer moves.Sopke to a VW garage today and a guy had a quick look.He operated the window and said the regulator was away.What I would like to know is;

1)Can I do this myself with a bit of effort.

2)Is there anything else I need to do?. It sounds as though the glass has came away from the runners.

Thanks
VW Passat 2001 - Electric Window Problem - trancer
Common VW problem, however a former backroomer who worked for VW claimed it was a design "feature".

Many have fixed it themselves and there are a fair few websites around with good info on tackling the job. Do a few web searches for VW window fixes etc. I have seen very good write ups on it in the past along with detailed photos of the process but I don't remember where exactly it was as I tend to peruse a lot of(too many?)motoring websites/fourms.
VW Passat 2001 - Electric Window Problem - AR-CoolC
The glass is held in place by two clamps, these are attatched to the mechanism via a plastic block, it's the plastic block that has broken. Dealers generaly sell the complete mechanism at approx £60(plus labour), as the blocks are not available as a seperate part.
The company I work for do sell the blocks as an aftermarket part, and as your car is now out of waranty then this would not be a problem.
I'm sure the mods wouldn't be too happy with me using this forum as a sales pitch so I won't put the company details here.

(Glass-Tech)
HOw do I go about obtaining these blocks.Let me know.Thanks. What about the "rough" sound though?.Is that normal?
VW Passat 2001 - Electric Window Problem - P 2501
Former backroomer who worked for VW said it was a feature.

LOL.
VW Passat 2001 - Electric Window Problem - trancer
Honestly he did, and even gave the reason why it was designed that way. Apparently if the window becomes frozen in the tracks the plastic blocks are meant to break away rather than damage the window motor itself. Sounds like a good idea, except for the fact that the blocks were recently breaking in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (where I used to live) which hasn't seen a good freeze in at least 15 years 8-). He was a good natured sort though and didn't seem to mind the flak he used to get from irate VW owners when he had absolutely nothing to do with their problems.

From info gathered in the American VW forums I lurk in replacement metal blocks can be purchased seperately from VW main dealers. I have no idea if it is a VW factory part of if the dealers themselves are making them available.
Contact the Mods who will be able to say from my e-mail address where I work.
Then contact either your local branch or the main freephone number.

Sorry I'm appearing elusive but I want to stay on the right side of the mods.

(Glass-Tech)
VW Passat 2001 - Electric Window Problem - Dynamic Dave
Wonderwheels,

You have email.
AR-CoolC

Just spoke to my local branch who said they didn't have info for the Passat as it was a new "procedure" but said that they only supply and fit and quuoted me for a Bora of £87 + VAT. Would that be correct?
I've contacted you directly.
VW Passat 2001 - Electric Window Problem - Ex-Moderator
AR-CoolC,

Given that you've been around here for a while;
given that I've frequently seen you helping people and putting effort into doing so;
and given that I've never seen you touting for business,

....then you can take it that I shall be fairly liberal about you posting references to your own company; so don't worry unduly about mentioning it when its appropriate.
Cheers

I will keep them to an apsolute minimum, as my reason for popping into the back room is purly out of an interest for all things motoring.

Just to update: I phoned VW Customer Service after seeing a posting on an American VW site.I asked if there was ever a recall on this problem with VW windows (in this case the Passat).I was told that there wan't a recall but compensation would be offered as it was a recognised fault by VW in Germany.The car has to be less than 5 years old and have covered less than 60K miles.If this is the case they will refund 50% of the part and 50% of the labour.In my case this is a saving of around £80 (£77 for the regulator and 1 1/2 hours Labour £85 inc VAT = £162).Labour charge is ridiculous!!!!!
VW Passat 2001 - Electric Window Problem - Halmer
You have to pay for the flashy new showrooms that VW are stipulating (like moi).