Plastic lenses and aftermarket bulbs - Humpy
I was considering changing my full beam bulbs to an 'off road' spec of about 100w.

I have done this on other cars I have owned, on the basis that I shouldn't ever have the main beams on when any other car is in front of me so it's not going to do any harm. However, looking at a website today, there was a warning not to use these kind of bulbs with non-glass lenses. I imagine on the basis that high wattage = high temp and, thereby some warping of the polycarb lens.

It makes sense, but I wondered if anyone had any experience or technical know-how to corroberate/rubbsih this theory. The wattage of the bulb has doubled, but what does this mean to the temp in the housing, what is the melting temp of polycarb??

It is so much more comfortable to have these powerful main beams on the country roads that I do most of my driving on.
Plastic lenses and aftermarket bulbs - Altea Ego
Its not just the heat. The increase in UV and other frequencies can make the lens cloudy.

Fit driving lamps?
Plastic lenses and aftermarket bulbs - Humpy
I'm going to get som eof the osram silverstar for the dipped beams .

Frankly, as far as I can see, it's all the roadfilm that builds up on the lenses in this winter weather that is the main inhibitory factor to the nrightness of the headlights.

Maybe I'll try the foglamps on at the same time!!! ;)
Plastic lenses and aftermarket bulbs - Andrew-T
Without wishing to offend, might I say that while I understand your wish to see better, I would hope not to be one of the cars 'in front' as I would certainly be able to see much worse, however quick you might be with the dipswitch. Headlamps have grown steadily in output over the years, presumably in self-defence against opposing headlamps. Please don't just add to this.
Plastic lenses and aftermarket bulbs - richy
Will end up melting the reflective backing (usualy plastic on modern cars even with glass headlights) and the wiring (designed for 55w not 100w). Why not check your headlight alignment is correct with your car on a level surface in front of a wall.