Getting oil out of a mat - Antony
Hi,
I had a new container of oil (upright) on the floor behind my seat, temporarily as the boot was full. I had to top up the oil, but the container later fell on its side and a little oil has leaked onto the mat, although the carpet is fine. I have not been able to get the oil out of my mat (carpet-like material, rubber base) despite soaking it in hot, soapy water - any suggestions? Or am I looking at getting a new mat, as it smells pretty bad?
Thanks,
Antony
Getting oil out of a mat - mfarrow
White spirit works for me. Takes a while for the smell to go away, though.
Getting oil out of a mat - Andrew-T
Petrol or WD40 would work too. Any solvent for oil would leave a pretty strong smell for some days at least. The most volatile thing might be butane, but there would be a pretty high fire risk - as there is with any of them.
Getting oil out of a mat - Andrew-T
Come to think of it, remove as much oil as you can with paper towel or somesuch, then treat the remainder with Swarfega and rinse off with water.
Getting oil out of a mat - steveo30
i use aerosol carb cleaner on upholstry....beleive it or not , its great...the spray nozzle gives you power where you need it, it just blasts oil and grease away

smeels for a couple of hrs then gone...no residue

try it
Getting oil out of a mat - buzbee
In any spillage like this the first move should be to absorb out as much as possible into kitchen role paper. .Keep using fresh paper and pressing it down on to it until no more can be extracted -- very hard pressing towards the end of the process and you may need several rolls. .Then wet it with solvent, agitate it, and repeat the process. .You will be surprised how effective this process can be. .You could also try a wet and dry carpet cleaner that uses cleaning additive.
Getting oil out of a mat - buzbee
Snap
Getting oil out of a mat - Schnitzel
I have used carb cleaner/ brake cleaner type aerosol solvents in the past, they worked well, taking only a couple of minutes, and probably a whole roll of kitchen roll, but what the heck?

But as you have rubbery backing, may be worth testing it doesn't dissolve or 'rot' that by testing a small area.
If the solvent is likely to ruin the mat, I would use caustic soda and hot water, but make sure you wear gloves for both or your skin may become permanently hypersensitive and will probably fall off in chunks with the latter.
Getting oil out of a mat - SlidingPillar
Cat litter!

Not a joke, highly absorbant, easily crushed and vacuumned out.

Then Swarfeger or Manista (I prefer this one - kinder to you hands!) and water.

Caustic Soda, may affect the dye stuff, petrol the backing, WD40 is oil, white spirit may work, but is oily. Any aggressive method test on area that can't been seen first. Since carpets change colour wet, wait until dry properly before deciding.
Getting oil out of a mat - Marc
Autoglym tar remover. It really works. Bought a used car once with what looked like a few inground oil marks on the carpets and mats. Rubbed this stuff in with some kitchen roll and it just dissolved onto the paper. Didn't smell bad or bleach the carpet either. It's probably about a fiver a bottle though.
Getting oil out of a mat - Antony
Thanks for all the replies! I will probably go with the kitchen roll to get the worst of it out first, and then decide on the follow-up. Cheers.
Getting oil out of a mat - defender
cant you just put it in the washing machine,not too hot and the detergent will remove the oil?
Getting oil out of a mat - mfarrow
Getting a bit into "I have a question" here, but I'd never put a rubber-soled mat in the washing machine. It makes the load incredibly unbalanced, makes a lot of noise when spinning, and I'd feel for the poor drum suspension! If you're going to do it, turn the spin off if possible.