Car less than 2k? - The Ring
Backroom,

What would you buy if your looking for something cheap, reliable, dont want to spend too much money (i.e not over 2k but willing to spend slightly more if the right car comes along) and something my mom would consider still to have some street cred? This will be a little run about car locally, so preferably cheap on fuel, any help or ldeas?

Thanks in advance
Car less than 2k? - Aprilia
Not sure what has 'street cred' these days (I'm over 40...). I would suggest a Nissan Almera or Toytoa Corrola, if you hassle-free motoring.
Japanese option seems the most logical to me too but i think she wants as much out of the money as she can i.e new as possible, how old will an Almera be for example for that money?
Car less than 2k? - spikeyhead {p}
Whilst Jap cars are more reliable, once they start going wrong, and cars in the sub £2K catagory have the potential to be, then its ease of maintenance that's more important. £400 for a mass flow sensor, as mentioned in a thread on here a few days ago would almost write of a Jap car bought at this price.

I'd go for an Astra or Mondeo, no more likely to go wrong, as they'll be newer than the equivalent Jap at this price, and much easier to maintain.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Car less than 2k? - Kevin
A classic Morris Minor?

Kevin...
Car less than 2k? - BobbyG
Not sure about the street cred but I have a diesel Saxo with all the toys that would fit the rest of the criteria, good about town, frugal etc.

Maybe look at one of those?
Car less than 2k? - carl_a
Not sure about the street cred bit but a Nissan Micra sounds perfect for your needs.
Car less than 2k? - David Horn
Not a little car, but you can pick up the Daewoo Leganza CDX for peanuts nowadays. I've been borrowing my dad's (my arm isn't very strong following a shattered wrist, so I find automatics easier to drive) and it's an excellent car. Comfortable, fairly nippy, drives exceptionally well for a car its size.

Only thing is that it's fairly big and the 2.0 auto isn't terribly economical. I like it, though.
Car less than 2k? - Stuartli
The problem with buying such low cost cars - especially from local news advertisements - is often because the owner realises that something major is wrong or about to go wrong and has decided to get shut asap.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car less than 2k? - T Lucas
I've been using a little '93 Civic 1.5 vtec saloon for the last 6 weeks or so,part of a job lot,so cost almost nothing,red lines just under 8k,goes like stink,with cold a/c,very grey inside and it must have some kind of street cred judging by the number of young lads that keep asking if its for sale.Fill to fill,and thrashing it to within an inch of its life,42MPG.
I would only consider a Japanese car driven on a budget costing less than 2 grand.
Astra could be logical option too, could get a 1.4, Mondeo on the other hand would start at 1.8 so wouldnt be viable. Im thinking as this will be the third car to the household, how about a CAT D repaired vehicle, professionally inspected beforehand, but they give you alot more car for your money, anyone had past dealings with such cars?
Car less than 2k? - nick
A classic Morris Minor?
Kevin...

That's what I run for local trips. £2k will buy an excellent one. Parts so cheap they're almost free and sub £100 fully comp agreed value unlimited mileage insurance make up for the extra (easily diy or local mechanic) maintenance required. Reliable too if maintained properly. So little to go wrong. No depreciation either.
Car less than 2k? - Avant
"This will be a little run about car locally"

If so, have a look at a Ford Ka - plenty of street cred as you look at it either as the smallest cheapest Ford or a statement of functional good design. They're also a hoot to drive, brilliant about town and much more relaxed than you'd expect on a motorway.

If you're looking at an early one (they go back to P-reg) make sure you get one with power steering. They all had it from late 1998, so £2000 should get you probably 1999 or 2000.
Car less than 2k? - AndrewMarc
I have just bought an s plate ka for 1k (i got it cheap cos from a friend) I paid £300 for a full service which included the plugs being drilled out (which always happens). I love it. It is a very simple little car great to drive and surprisingly large inside. It will also sit at 85 on the moterway and still pull. Buy a ka
Car less than 2k? - Badger
Plugs will not need drilling out in future if a touch of that copper gunge is smeared on the plug thread. I never replace a plug without it.
Ka seems to be another good option but i think in the first instance shes looking for something five door, if in that price range she cant find anything decent for that type of money then she may opt for a 3dr, and like you say i think think Ka might be the right way to go, cheap and easy motoring.
Car less than 2k? - daveyK_UK
you can pick up 51 plate kia rio's and hyundai accents (which might have the 5 year warrenty on them) - for under 2 grand bottom of the range mind.

Car less than 2k? - Sofa Spud
VW Passat B4 estate with I.9 TDI engine. By now even low-mileage examples should be under 2K.

www.armyvehicles.dk/images/vwpassat1stn.jpg

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Car less than 2k? - barney100
A Volvo 440 might fit the bill well. Saw one in a garage in Eastbourne with 35k on it and some warranty too for about £1500,so you have £500 left from your £2000. My daghters first car was a Volvo 340 and it wenr for 2 years with little fuss.