Exhaust Mk2 Golf GTI - mattieboy
Hi all

The rear silencer on my Mk2 GTI has started to get a little noisy, and so I'm about to replace it. I've always taken my car into exhaust centres when things like this come up, but the prices are beyond a joke - £100 or more just for the rear silencer. It used to be around £30 for my old Nova. I've never changed an exhaust myself before, but seeing as the rear silencer can be reached without getting the car up in the air I thought I'd try it.

My question is, is it worth going for a genuine VW part or are there any other suppliers who are worth a look? I don't want a bit of tin that will only last a short while, and as I'm fitting it myself I don't mind paying a little extra for some quality parts.

Also, is there anything to watch out for when changing the exhaust?

Cheers

Matt
Exhaust Mk2 Golf GTI - keo-the-dog
can be a horrendous job to do on the floor, original is good but if you dont mind a bit extra cost get a stainless job never replace it again...cheers...keo
Exhaust Mk2 Golf GTI - Robert Fleming
My genuine exhaust and clamp was about £42 from VW, IIRC. Get a new rubber hangers too (£5 quid at the most).

An original part will last 8-10 years, be surprisingly heavy, sound right (very burbly at idle, quieter on the move) and look right too.

I've replaced the whole exhaust (beyond the downpipe anyway) with OE parts, and it was no more expensive than a decent quality exhaust from GSF.

Plenty of other things will go wrong with a Mk2 by now, so it's nice to fit and forget an OE exhaust.

Exhaust Mk2 Golf GTI - Phil G
I picked up a stainless scorpion full syste w/twin exit for mine for only £90. Doesn't sound too max power and is fit and forget.