Golf GTi 16v Mk3- gearbox problems - Simbad
just purchased a golf GTI 1995 2.0 16v from an auction.
bought bilnd and it has its share of problems= could anyone make suggestions before i book in for work or put it back through auction....

Gearbox- at first driving seemed ok but 15 mins into drive home found i couldn't find 5th and then all of the gears seemed to be out of place, it was as if the whole box had shifted 3inches to the right ?? left it in drive for a day and it seemed back to normal but there is obviously something not right- could it be mounting or linkage or is it likely to be internally screwed?

ABS- light is on- that is all i know for now- seems to brake ok but light is continually on.

I know its vague but if you know these have common problems then maybe it will make me keep the car?

Cheers- Simeon
Golf GTi 16v Mk3- gearbox problems - allandm
Had this problem with my ibiza. The gear linkage from memory has a bracket it pivots on mounted on the back of the box, it is kind of hard to get at but if the bolt comes loose on this it can move, effectively losing ability to select gears at each side. Cheap(free) fix if this is the case. Get it up on ramps and have a look.
Golf GTi 16v Mk3- gearbox problems - Peter D
Its sounds as though the nylon bush that you can see down the back of the engine/gearbox has cracked/worm out or missing and the linkages are slopping around. The ABS light is probably being triggered my a duff sensor or a corroded induction ring probably on a rear wheel. The corrode and become loose and spin on the hub thus fooling the ABS. However is your light is on all the time even before you start the engine, Isuspect a senor is away or a corroded connector. Regards Peter
Golf GTi 16v Mk3- gearbox problems - Simbad
Thanks to both of you for the advice- was thinking of running back through auction but seems might not be as bad as i thought.

Thanks again.