VW Phaeton.Cheapest auction price? - Retro
This week Autocar have a used test of a Phaeton that has lost 18K in 9 months and 10,000 miles. It is up for sale at a VW dealer for £25k.

This got me thinking, has anyone seen a 2003 car go through an auction or trade with some miles on it? If so what price?
VW Phaeton.Cheapest auction price? - bradgate
A few weeks ago I noticed a Phaeton W12 (list price £68,000) advertised at a VW dealer for £36995.

That, almost unbelievably, is £31k depreciation in less than 12 months, or £90 per day.

That £31,000 will buy you a nearly new BMW 530d or Porsche Boxster, a new Discovery or 3 nearly new Mondeos.

Is this the world depreciation record?
VW Phaeton.Cheapest auction price? - patently
Another drop of near 50% and I'd consider buying it.
VW Phaeton.Cheapest auction price? - bradgate
Another drop of near 50% and I'd consider buying it.

Probably get there by April, at the current rate.

is the phaeton the biggest orphan in the history of the motor industry?
VW Phaeton.Cheapest auction price? - philipb
The other big problem is bound to be service costs.

My parents made a mistake back in 1997 of listening to Quentin Wilson's advice and buying a second hand Lexus LS400 . Stunning car, amazingly fast, completely silent and a snip at around £17,000 at 5 or 6 years old. The self-opinionated Mr Wilson told them (on Top Gear) that a Lexus could be serviced for the same cost as any other Toyota.

No it certainly couldn't. Despite the car having good provenance and my parents very gentle driving style, the servicing costs were enormous.

My parents p/xed for a new Honda CR-V the following year, which while not as stylish has cost a fraction to run, proved 100% reliable and has hardly aged at all.

I'm sure that all £50k+ cars come with commensurate servicing costs.