vw corrado/golf gti eng. temp. problem - TedB
Is there an Idle Stabilisation Valve on the 16V Corrado Engine/Golf Gti and where is it located? This was suggested as another possible solution to a Eng. Temperature problem I have on my Corrado 16v 2.0i.

I replaced the Heater Matrix on the Corrado a couple of months ago and have had problems since...I don't know if its related to the job I did, I don't believe so. Heater works fine. The Engine is racing at approx. 1150 to 1200 r.p.m. once it comes up to normal operating temperature. The Engine Temp. guage stopped working and evidence clearly showed it was overheating. A mate kindly gave me a replacement gauge but I had to figure out what was causing the problem before fitting the replacement one. I also have some coolant loss but despite many checks there is no evidence of coolant loss anywhere in the engine bay.

A couple of friends and some Tech. Motor club members suspected the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, it also influences idle stabilisation I understand, is this true does anyone know?. I replaced this but to no avail (the one that feeds the Temp. gauge). The Temperature Gauge works now but the Engine continues to race all the time, very embarrassing in traffic!!!!. I think it might be only a matter of time before the gauge overheats again.

Eng. Temp. gauge yesterday evening indicated a reading of anything between 95 and 105 deg. after 15 mins of driving in Traffic, fan seems to be coming on ok, however engine was racing at approx.1100 to 1200 r.p.m. I let it idle when I got home, after 2- 3 minutes engine stopped racing, again the fan was coming on intermittently as it idled.

The thermoswitch and Thermostat were both replaced approx. 9 months ago.

Have any of you come across anything like this on a Corrado or Golf Gti?

Thanks.
vw corrado/golf gti eng. temp. problem - cti
try

the-corrado.net

forum
vw corrado/golf gti eng. temp. problem - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
There are two coolant temp sensors, one (which you have replaced) which merely drives the gauge the other is the sensor for the engine management system (the blue one). If this has failed (common) the ECU may be seeing a 'cold' engine and in simple terms is holding the 'choke' on.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Yes, I know the one you are referring to, one mine it's brown actually, think the blue is for the VR6, I had it out at one stage all right but didn't replace it, it's unlikely though that both sensors would go together surely?

The interesting thing is that the car runs fine until it reaches operating temperature, then the Engine racing starts, it's also at a pitch far higher than when choke would be on.

Thanks.
is this a club?