53 Vectra SXI Servicing - Craggyislander
Hi Guys

I put the Vectra through its first service at my local Vauxhall main dealers today. It cost me £187...

Anyway, they have refilled the sump with semi synth 10w40 and I queried this with them as it doesn't seem to mention this oil grade in the handbook.
The service manager I spoke to said that they use this oil as "in the past" they have had warranty problems with customers topping up with incorrect grade oil.He also advised me that this oil would be perfectly ok to use for up to 1 year or 20k whichever is first.
So my first question to you would be is this ok , do you agree with this chap?

Second question concerns the Vectra service interval indicator.

On this car when the ignition is off , you can press the trip meter reset button under the speedo and the remaining mileage before the next service will show in the window under the rev counter.
This now does not light up at all when the button is pressed.
I queried this with them and they said it is working , its just recalibrating itself and will start to count down soon. Is this true? I would have thought it should show 20000miles or similar.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

PS They also changed the top rad mounts as they were creaking away like a cheap haunted house front door.... :o)
53 Vectra SXI Servicing - Dynamic Dave
The oil recommended on the Vauxhall website is 5W-30, but it also says "See Owner's Manual". However, I notice that they also recommend 10W-40 for earlier engines.

vauxhall.co.uk/ownership/servicing/engineOils.jhtm...+

As regards the service service indicator, when I press the trip button it shows how many miles are left before a service. I believe the service indication is purely based on the environment on which it's driven nowadays. So they *could* well be right that it's recalibrating itself.

That reminds me, I must get my rad mounts changed at some point. On tickover when the gearbox is left in Drive, I also get a vibration noise from the front end.
53 Vectra SXI Servicing - Marc
I have a Vectra C also. I thought the service indicator monitored the condition/deteriation of the oil. Therefore use of an unsuitable oil would cause it to be inaccurate.

The service schedule for the Vectra C is 20k or 2 years, whichever comes first so an oil that is only good for 12 months is not suitable.

However, your service indicator may well be resetting itself as they say. I don't know for sure as I've not had mine serviced yet. Mine's apparently due at 18k.
53 Vectra SXI Servicing - John S

The correct oil for a Vectra C petrol is fully synthetic 0-30 to the latest vauhall spec. as given in the handbook (a link has been given on this site before but I can't find it)if the car is on the flex service intervals. The semi synth used is, as DD says, the spec for the earlier cars, and not recommended for a 53 plate car. I'm surprised a Vx dealer has used it. That said the use of fuuly synthetic oil to A3 B3 specs is aceptable with a reduced oil change interval. Check the handbook, and get back to the dealer and complain.

I don't believe the service indicator works by actually monitoring the oil itself. I beleive it looks at operating conditons, monitoring cold starts engine speeds etc to estimate the likely oil deterioration.

JS