Golf GTi Mk3 Cutting out - A Ferguson
I have a 1997 Mark 3 Golf GTi with 71000miles on the clock. Approx every 300-400 miles the engine will cut out completely with no warning. Whether, just started or warmed up, speed, seems to make no difference. Once cut out the engine will spin freely on the starter but will not fire. After waiting 2-3 minutes the engine will then start with no problem. Sometimes it will cut out 3-4 times in a few minutes/miles then does not happen again for several hundred miles.
An independant garage has check the self diagnostics and the only information from the fault code is "Engine shut down without drivers instruction". I have had the relay for the fuel pump replaced as I was told these can "stick" but this has made no difference. Any thoughts would be appreciated to save me replacing all the engine management sensors one by one then finding it is still not fixed.
Golf GTi Mk3 Cutting out - GGH
My Mk3 GTI cut out in heavy rain ,in car washes, and sometimes when using the windscreen washers. Problem was cracked/tracking on the inside of the HT turret of the ignition coil. Tracking showed up well on a pitch dark night when the coil was damp. Cure was a new coil.I hope this is of some help to you.Regards GGH
Golf GTi Mk3 Cutting out - Peter D
You will have to find what is missing when it will not start. Carry a spare plug so when it cuts out next you can connect the plug and crank it to test for HT. I suspect the distributor induction coil to be at fault thus no signal to the ECU or the ignition amp. Regards Peter
Golf GTi Mk3 Cutting out - FireHawk2
If your Golf is cutting out when driving for no apparant reason; wet, dry, cold, hot etc - it is relay 30 for sure, I had EXACLTY same prob in my '97 Mk3 GTi! This is the Engine management relay.

If it intermitantly won't start from cold, change 162 (i think) - this is fuel pump relay! My friends '96 Mk3 Gti had this prob and we fixed it yesterday! (So did my bosses '96 Gti a few months back). It's obviously a commen fault with the Mk3!

Hope this helps
Golf GTi Mk3 Cutting out - Cornish Lass
Hi.

My hubby's golf (a MKI) had this problem a few years ago. He had electrics, relays etc checked, and as you say, it seemed to happen very randomly without any apparent cause - could be idling, or travelling at speed (rather dangerous on a couple of occasions!). One of his workmates suggested fuel starvation. Fuel pump etc was OK. In the end he replaced fuel cap with one of the temporary plastic ones which appeared to cure the problem. There is either a breather in the tank or the original cap which can get blocked, causing vacuum in tank and lack of fuel. May be worth a try!
Golf GTi Mk3 Cutting out - A Ferguson
Thank you firehawk2-absolutely spot on. Engine management relay now replaced, fifteen hundred miles covered and no problems. Sorry its taken so long to respond, wanted to make sure it wouldn't recur!
Golf GTi Mk3 Cutting out - Robert price26
I am also haveing this problem I’ve changed the relay also I’ve put new coil pack on
And distributor and Cap so what else could it be can any one help me please
Golf GTi Mk3 Cutting out - ggh1

If you have the AGG engine, the crankshalf sensor wiring perishes where it joins the sensor causing the engine to cut out. Renew the sensor.