Fine Weather Xantia ! - Jack Regan
Hi there,
My dad has got a 1995 Citroen Xantia 1.8sx. It has an annoying problem in that if it's left outside overnight, it struggles to start and sometimes end with the alarm kicking in. If it's left in the garage overnight - no problem (unless it's left for a few days). It has had a new battery fitted so can't be that.
Any ideas ?
Cheers !
Fine Weather Xantia ! - Dynamic Dave
It has had a new battery fitted so can't be that.

Unless of course the new battery fitted is a duffer. It can happen.
The alarm kicking in and struggling to start suggests that the battery is flat.
If you've got a multimeter, measure the battery voltage when everything is turned off, and then again when the engine is running. You should see approx 12 volts with everything off, and approx 14 volts with the engine running. Anything less could indicate a faulty alternator, or poor earthing.
Fine Weather Xantia ! - Hugo {P}
Do you know how to disable the alarm?

If not, this advice won't solve your problem but may reduce your stress levels whilst you are solving it.

Around the top RHS quarter of the engine bay you may find a flap over a key switch (like you ignition switch). Stick the ignition key in it and turn it to disable the alarm. I had a spate of this with my 2.0 16v VSX (1993 MY) so off went the alarm.

Of couse it may only be the 2.0L that has this, but it's worth a look.

So far as your main problem is concerned, Dave sounds spot on.

Hugo
Hugo -
Something else I can try there ..... THANKS
Thanks Dave. I have a multimeter (just need instructions on how to use it !!!) then I'll have a look. We did take the car back to the place where the battery was fitted, and the guy tested it and he SAID it was OK, but offered no other advice as to the problem.
Thanks again
Fine Weather Xantia ! - mjm
This sounds like a case of the damp getting in. The alarm will only cut in when the battery is near flat and the voltage has dropped significantly.
I would suggest the following are more likely causes:-

1 Damp in the connector taking the signal to the coil pack.
2 Condensation around the spark plug connections on the ht leads causing shorting to earth.
3 The fuel pump relay may have a poor connection due to damp or corrosion, or it may be on its last legs.(they have a hard life)
4 The fuel pump itself may have a poor connection for the same reasons. The pump is in the tank but there is an external connector on top of the tank which is acessible under the rear seat, under a plastic cover.
5 The ECU sends a signal to the pump to run for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on. On my Xantia you can clearly hear the pump. This builds up pressure in the system. If this is not happening then either the ECU has a fault or a connector has some damp or corrosion in it and is stopping the signal.

My bet, if the car is performing O K would be dampness around the plugs/coil pack connector under the bonnet.
Fine Weather Xantia ! - Mondaywoe
The 1.8 Xantia is prone to collecting water at the bottom of the plug wells. Give them a good clean out in case moisture is collecting. Check plugs are good at the same time.

Have you checked to see that the battery isn't draining away all night because something like a boot light is staying on unnoticed?

Is the alternator charging properly? Is drive belt in good condition and tight enough?

Earth strap OK?

Presumeably the engine is cranking properly? (Starter motor ok?)

The alarm on the Xantia does indeed go off when battery becomes critically low and because it has its own internal battery there can be no stopping it - even if you disconnect the main battery! I know this to my cost because I once drove 10 miles with alarm going to buy a new battery!! Wouldn't care, the battery (original) was only 9 years old........

Is the immobiliser OK? Check wiring to it (if you pop off the gearstick gaiter you can put a hand in and push up the immobiliser pad - I seem to remember a push on connection block below.

Is the fuel clean and uncontaminated? (No water/dirt in fuel...?)

Air filter clean?

The coil did actually go on my Xantia once - unusual but not impossible! Damp might accentuate an underlying weakness.

'Distributor' cap ???

Just some thoughts!

Graeme