Volvo V40 air recirculation flap servo - Weeneilly
The air recirculation flap on my V40 has recently jammed when switching from recyled air to fresh, causing the servo motor to click loudly until switched back to recyled air. It's not a problem with only one person in the car, but my wife and I have three children under 4 years old and when we're all in the car it fogs up.

To fix the problem properly is an expensive procedure involving the removal of the facia. Has anyone else else experienced this problem and, if so, are there any shortcuts to opening the flap on the fresh air and disconnecting the motor, or at least stopping the clicking?

Thanks
Volvo V40 air recirculation flap servo - BobC
I had a similar problem on my Peugeot 405. I could access the servo motor but it did not look easy to remove (and I wasn't prepared to pay Peugeot's price for the replacement part). I disabled it in the fresh air position. In my case this was by switching to open position (at which point it was clicking) and switching the ignition off. Then I pulled the wiring plug off the servo motor and taping it the plug carefully to make it safe. I've had no problems since and don't miss the recirculation feature.
Thanks for your advice BobC

With the V40, the expensive aspect of the work is removing the facia to get at the servo motor (remove all instrumatation, steering wheel and air bag). I think I'll do what you suggest if anyone else knows a shortcut for getting at the thing. Any help anyone?
Volvo V40 air recirculation flap servo - Wrench
Had this happen to me too.

I managed to change the part by loosening the dash without removing it. I had to loosen the gear lever gaiter/centre section, remove the heater controls and radio, then undo the 2 bolts under the front speakers too lossen the dash.

This gave me just enough room down the left had side of the dash to undo the servo motor with a screwdriver bit in a socket.

If you don't fancy this (or the £400 a dealer might charge), you could try removing the glove box and cutting the plastic behind to gain access! If you just cut 3 sides you could bend the flap down and tape it up afterwards. This crossed my mind at the time and wouldn't notice too much as it's behind the glovebox.

The part was about £90 I think.

Good luck!
Many thanks for your advice. Cutting a flap behind the glove box crossed my mind, but I was concerned that I might cut through some wiring. I imagine that if I cut it carfully, without going through, it will not cause any damage.

Thanks again

Neil
The job is done, I cut the flap.

For anyone else wanting to follow this procedure, here's a few tips.

Cutting the hole the way I did it did not allow sufficient access to the servo motor to replace it, but I had disabled the motor and left access for manual operation should I ever need it.

I pulled the glove box out, removed the shelf at the top by removing the two retaining screws. I then cut along the top, down the right hand side and along the bottom about 1cm above the three retaining screws and folded the flap back. In hindsight I should have cut the left hand side of the rectangle and folded it the other way, as this would have given better access to the servo motor.

I had access to about half of the motor, the rod between the servo motor and the air circulation flap levers.

I removed the rod connecting the motor and levers, then cut a 5cm long by 3cm deep hole in the facia to allow manual operation of the air circulation flap.

It took about 45 minutes and saved the 400 pounds I was quoted by the Volvo dealership to replace the servo motor.
Volvo V40 air recirculation flap servo - Stargazer {P}
Thanks for the update, hope I dont need to use this though!

Just for info, what year and model V40?

cheers

StarGazer

(V40 2000 1.8XS)