SL500 96; what is this part? - steve
I have a slight ticking noise coming from a small (about 2 inches across) unit mounted on a rubber mounting bracket in front of the ABS pump on the n/s inner wing; there is a 2 pin electrical lead running to it and two pipes; one running into the unit and the other out of it - there is a mark on the top with an arrow with the word MOT on it (motor?). I can feel the unit pulsing at the same rate as the ticking noise - any idea what it does?

Thanks

Steve
SL500 96; what is this part? - elekie&a/c doctor
This valve is part of the fuel evaporative emission system.Basically ,it allows excess fuel vapour to be returned into the air inlet system for combustion.
Thanks for quick response. Can I disconnect the electrical connection to prove that this is causing the noise without damaging anything?
would it make sense that the valve could be making a ticking noise as it pulses?
Any idea what a new one costs?
SL500 96; what is this part? - elekie&a/c doctor
The noise & the operation of this valve sounds perfectly normal to me.Disconnecting this part while engine is running could cause problems with the engine management system & may bring on engine warning light .(if it has one)
Thanks for the help; I wont try just pulling the lead off it then. It has just started making this noise; at first I panicked as it really sounded like a top end problem!
I need to fix it - you cant hear it in the car but you can hear it very clearly with the engine running and the bonnet up! It will annoy me if I dont sort it out and if i ever want to sell the car it could make it tricky.