Used car recommendations? - *Censored*
Can anyone suggest a good, reliable used car that will mainly be used for motorway driving. Things I'm looking or include, comfort, reliabilty, reasonable economy and some decent space in the back for the kids stuff. Budget is around 2K
Used car recommendations? - bikemade3
Mondeo,Mondeo and Mondeo
Used car recommendations? - No Do$h
Not forgetting the often ignored Nissan Primera.
Used car recommendations? - Altea Ego
and the very cheap for what you get Almera
Used car recommendations? - MW
My brother has just bought a mint 1997, 47k 1.8 Verona Mondeo. One owner, every MOT, (6 months valid) 2 months tax, new tyres, spare unused, new battery, fully Ford serviced from new, non smoker. Chap said you will look after it? as it went. £1750. Its brilliant. He is going to service it himself, and get a Ford new cam belt (£250, with a 60k guarentee). Only thing that doesn't work is the aircon. A regass might fix it. Should get 5 years or more out of it. He was considering a mark 3, but I said why spend depreciating money when for £2k you can get so much more. He is now convinced.
Note: he had to buy it because his previous Mondeo with alarm and imobiliser ( can't be stolen brother honestly) was stolen. He is now reformed, and following his big brothers advice..... get a Thatcham 3 steering wheel bar.... and use it EVERY time.
Used car recommendations? - Hugo {P}
Xantia Petrol or diesel. Don't be hoodwinked into paying too much for a diesel though.

You should be able to find a fairly late one for your money, and if looked after correctly they'll give you no probs whatsoever. I am speaking after 2 and a half years successful ownership of one. Try to get the well specced version with everything in it.

Also, consider Pug 406, Renault Laguna, Vectra, VW Passat etc

Good luck
Thanks for the info chaps...
I think I've narrowed it down to 3 cars now...

Mondeo
Pug 406
Omega

Is it worth looking for the diesel models for the above? I.e. is the economy figures significantly better these days for diesel over petrol?
Used car recommendations? - MichaelR
Looked at all those three before I replaced my Xantia with a Mondeo.

Peugeot 406 - really liked it. Interior a bit dull but in standard form, the exterior was nicer than the Mondeo. Looks a bit more executive. Bags of standard kit, make sure you get the GLX or the Executive. Performance seemed a bit, rubbish though. The 1.9TD engine - which was fantastic in the Xantia, takes 15 seconds to hit 60 in the 406, and the 2.0 petrol drinks fuel and isn't that quick. The 2.0 8v Turbo in the SRi and Executive is reasonable performance but still only similar to a 2.0 16v Mondeo...

Omega - class above really with costs to match. Amazing if you get a good one, total moneypit if you get a bad one. Lots of bad ones about.

In the end I went with the Mondeo and after 9 months of ownership I think I made the right decision. I love my car, cheers me up every time I drive it. Mine has the optional 'Sports Appearance Pack' so looks great in my opinion, and bags of standard equipment. Try and get a Ghia or a Ghia X. The 2.0 16v engine is good - 25-30mpg around town and 40-45mpg on a run.

The only big expense I've had is 4 new tyres @ £330.
SOLD! Mondeo it is then, anything I should look out for in terms of potential problems? Which year/model would you recommend for under 2grand?
Used car recommendations? - machika
Mondeo wins vote again! I don't know why we don't all go out a buy a Mondeo, but that would very boring, wouldn't it?
Used car recommendations? - bikemade3
Front wishbone bushes give up have a good look at them make sure the rubbers not split. Anti roll bar links wear on the test drive you,ll get clunking from the front, easy DIY job to replace.
I would say 1.8TD (97 P)a lot of people would not as it,s very agricultural, but then again i get 45MPG and has not let me down in over 5 years and does not use oil in betewwn changes.

Check the clutch, try to pull away with the handbrake on see if the clutch slips. A lot of stripping is required to get it changed, i ams ure a few people on this site could give you a cost to replace the clutch.
Other than that i would say go for the 1.8 or 2.0
Used car recommendations? - MichaelR
I would say a 98 2.0 Ghia X for under £2k. You can get lower spec ones but whats the point? They are not that much cheaper the Ghia X has everything you'll ever need and more - I don't know how people manage without cruise control and I'm not a frequent Motorway user!

I tried to like the 1.8TD, but moving from a Xantia TD really showed me how terrible it was so I got the 2.0 16v instead.