Vectra C rear brakes - Marc
Evening everyone. My Vectra (2.0T model) is now 13 months old and has 15k on the clock. Now it may just be me but it sounds like the rear brake pads may be getting down to the backing material. When I brake and gently come to a standstill the rear wheels make that noise similar to a dinghy being pulled along wet sand! but the brake action is positive and there is no squealing.

What puzzles me is why they would run down so quickly. Most of my miles are motorway - daily 100 mile round trip involving very little braking. The rear brakes are not binding (The car always averages the quoted 32.3 - 32.5 mpg and the rear wheels never get hot). Unfortunately the rear wheels do not have a pad wear sensor like the fronts so it looks like a trip to the dealer to get them checked, unless any other Vectra C owners can tell me that they all sound like this!

Marc
Vectra C rear brakes - wemyss
Marc I don't think there is any possibilty your rear pads are worn down at this mileage as they have virtually little use.
All the brake dust is on the front wheel trims on mine and nothing on the back. Having examined mine at nearly 30k they have no wear at all.
Only a guess but it may be the handbrake pads which are rubbing.
In the handbook it says to pull the handbrake on slightly while in motion for a few hundred yards to clean any rust away.
However I find doing this brings them on with a bang so find the best way is to pull away with the handbrake already partly on and this gives the best results.
Vectra C rear brakes - Marc
Cheers Alvin, I'll read up on that in my manual and give it a try