Keyed paintwork - VW Golf - VR6
Just what I needed. I'm going away on holiday for 4 weeks this evening - but some kind soul has keyed the side of my car. There are several scratches up & down and side to side to drivers door and rear panel. It looks a right mess. Some of them are quite deep & have gone through all layers of paint

Problem - I am not going to have time to get it sorted before I go away this evening - is there some sort of 'homemade remedy' I can use to stop corrosion starting while i'm away? I was thinking about a good thick coating of petroleum jelly, but I am unsure if it'll work/damage the surrounding paint work & if it will stay on during icy nights. The car will be outdoors while I'm away.

Thank you BR'ers.
Keyed paintwork - VW Golf - borasport20
I haven't got anything constructive to add, but I'd think that a coating of petroleum jelly might make life difficult when it comes to re-painting - you would have to do some very thorough de-greasing.
Keyed paintwork - VW Golf - Roger Jones
I'd bet that the pertoleum jelly won't do any harm and that it will be easily dissolved when you want rid of it. I've used it where slight rusting is showing on the front seams of my Capri; it's been on there for years and I can detect no further deterioration.

Chips Away (St Albans) did an excellent job getting rid of a key scratch for me.
Keyed paintwork - VW Golf - Aprilia
Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is what the bodyshops advise customers to use when awaiting a scratch repair. Comes off easily with 'panel wipe'.
Keyed paintwork - VW Golf - borasport20
Aprilia - I sit corrected, and bow to your experience !

Keyed paintwork - VW Golf - Dynamic Dave

Try brushing some cavity wax, such as waxoyl, over the scratch.
Keyed paintwork - VW Golf - NabLane
Once you get back from your hols (after following the advice in the above posts) you can paint a layer of "Trustan" over the scratched areas. Trustan effectively kills any trace of rust and then seals over the area. I've used it on stone-chips showing bare metal that have gone unnoticed for a few weeks and have begun to rust. Over a year later, there has been no creepage of rust seen under the repair.
Keyed paintwork - VW Golf - VR6
Thank you for the quick replies. I'll pop into a chemist on my way home tonight.