So what is the offence? - Dwight Van Driver
OK so your sat at your CPS desk and a file presenting the following facts is in your In Tray awaiting a decision :

A is driving his vehicle on a Motorway at NSL. Feeling a tad thirsty he takes his hand off the steering wheel, reaches for and starts drinking from a bottle of juice.

In this action he loses control, attempts to correct, overdoes it and vehicle goes out of control towards the nearside, crashes through a fence into a field.

A horse in the field is spooked (frightened), runs out of the field through the accident gap in the fence and starts running along the carriageway of the M way. The horse is then hit by a car, the driver of which sustains injury and dies later in hospital.

Opine on what charge against A.

Any Geordie, Macam or Tyke having knowledge of such an accident please refrain from posting.

(Inf of Mods case has been dealt with)

DVD
So what is the offence? - Wales Forester
Causing death by dangerous driving?
So what is the offence? - David Horn
Causing death by drink driving?

(Sorry, I know it's not a laughing matter)

However, is causing death by careless driving an offence? That seems to fit the case better.

Wonder how he long control though, I drink from a bottle of water while on long motorway journeys and it's not exactly a difficult task.
So what is the offence? - martint123
I'm a Yorkie, but not read of anything like it.
I didn't think 'consequential damage' was considered??? So careless or dangerous only??

(how long do we wait for your answer??)

Martin

So what is the offence? - Robin Reliant
Careless driving, I would think. You can only be prosecuted for the offence you have committed, not the results of that offence.
So what is the offence? - Bromptonaut
Selby rail crash man (Hart?) went down for manslaughter with a similar number of events between act and consequence.
Fair point, but he hit the train. In this case, it was the bolting horse that did the damage.
So what is the offence? - Bromptonaut
Fair point, but he hit the train. In this case, it
was the bolting horse that did the damage.

My post was not a comment on Tom Shaw's which I saw only after posting my own. However although the train hit Hart's car that impact only derailed the front bogie. The damage was done by a subsequent set of points completing the derailment and the untimely arrival of another train.
So what is the offence? - Stuartli
He didn't hit the train - the Land Rover was left on the track after coming off the M62 just before it was hit by an express train. The train ploughed along the track partially derailed and was hit head-on by a freight train going in the opposite direction.

It was ruled by an inquest jury that the six passengers and four railway employees who died in the disaster were unlawfully killed.

Hart was jailed for (just) five years for causing death by dangerous driving after falling asleep at the wheel.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
So what is the offence? - kithmo
Driving without due care and attention. No charges in relation to the death of the other driver.
So what is the offence? - Wales Forester
Just to throw another into the pot, what's your take on this one DVD?

Coach driver gets close to kerb and nearside mirror of coach contacts with a road sign as he passes, no damage to either, just contact noise.

Pedestrian 15 metres away on pavement reports the fact to police and complains that he/she was frightened by the noise.

Police follow matter up and prosecute coach driver for careless driving. Court agrees and driver is fined and given 8 points.

Any thoughts?

PP
So what is the offence? - patently
Any thoughts?

It is indeed careless. Thus he has comitted the offence of careless driving. However, the ramificiations of his offence did not justify 8 points.
So what is the offence? - trancer
Would the driver be considered careless because he lost control of the car or because he took a drink of juice?. What if he had both hands on wheel when he lost control and there was no juice anywhere in sight?.

As for that coach scenario, did the police prosecute because the pedestrian was frightened or because the coach hit the sign?. Its not too clear what the offense was as there was no mention of any damage to the sign...just to a pedestrian's mental constitution.
So what is the offence? - mare
As for that coach scenario, did the police prosecute because the pedestrian was frightened or because the coach hit the sign?.
Its not too clear what the offense was as there was
no mention of any damage to the sign...just to a pedestrian's
mental constitution.

Next time it might not be a sign he clips with the wing mirror. Each case is different, but a relative of mine was killed by a wing mirror of a transit while cycling along an A road about 15 years ago (pre helmets). Ok, a coach mirror is higher than a transit, but still careless.

As i recall (and it was a long time ago) the guy in the transit got a fine and some points.
So what is the offence? - machika
One can lose control of a car for all sorts of reasons. It could be because one one falls asleep, or because one is driving carelessly, or the car's maintenance has been neglected, for instance? Which is the greater offence? It is the consequence that governs the seriousness, as it was in Hart's case.

I imagine an awful lot of drivers have dozed off at the wheel over the years but most will have not ended up in jail, if they didn't kill themselves in the process. If someone doesn't sleep well, do they not still get in the car in the morning to go to work? Thousands do it every day, I should think.
So what is the offence? - NowWheels
Opine on what charge against A

Being unfit to leave him without his childminder?

(Section 14.2a of the Commonsense Act 1992)
So what is the offence? - helicopter
I have no knowledge of this case but I am going to say that the CPS did not bring any charges.

I only say this because why else would DVD raise the matter in the backroom?
So what is the offence? - Manatee
On the basis of the Hart case, I would expect a charge of causing death by dangerous driving. I often wonder why the unforseeable consequences of an offence have such a big effect on the charge and the penalty but it seems that is the way things work.

If he has been so charged and is found guilty, I hope the court in sentencing distinguishes between careless on the part of a driver who is otherwise behaving properly, and the wilful recklessness of a speeding car thief whose action has the same result.
OK then here it comes:

CPS would question was the driving of A such that it fell FAR BELOW what would have been expected of a competent driver AND it would be obvious to a competent careful driver that driving in that was would be dangerous,

AND

the driving of A was a cause of the death of another person. This must be a cause but need not be the sole one,

THEN

they would mark up the offence of causing death by dangerous driving.

BUT

if A's driving was such that it fell far below the standard of a reasonable prudent and competent driver in the circumstances of the case

THEN

they would mark up as careless driving.

The original post is a true account of an accident which resulted in A being aligned before a local Crown Court charged with causing death by dangerous driving/ careless driving.

I think this indicates the fairness of the British justice system as the Jury found A Not Guilty of causing death etc, but guilty of careless driving. He was fined 500 pounds and disqualified for 6 months. In his summing up the Judge stated " It is unfortunate that the consequences from what happened was out of proportion to the error".

Just wonder if current public concern on deaths caused by accidents led to CPS running the death by dangerous. They can claim that they tried for the conviction and the Courts made the final decision. Justice not only done but seen to be done?

A most unusual case which is why I thought I would air it.

Re the coach driver. There is inattention - a prudent driver doesn't go along clippiong road signs etc. - so there is careless driving. I do not entirely agree that this was a metter for a Court but today we live in a climate when it is the letter of the law that applies. I prefered the old days when it was the spirit of the law that applied.

DVD
I can never agree with the jailing of somebody for a mistake, no matter what the consequences. Fair enough if someone is deliberately behaving in a dangerous manner, racing or trying to outrun police, or is drunk. But to sentence an otherwise law abiding citizen to spend years in the company of hardened and violent criminals for an error of judgement, as in the case of Gary Hart, is little more than an act of spiteful revenge to appease the mob.

We have all made errors of judgement on the road, ones that could have cost someone their life had circumstances been different.
Quite - provided that the "mistake" is not repeated too often.
So what is the offence? - martint123
But... when they get rid of the jury??
So what is the offence? - pmh
OK, but let us now vary the chain of events.

Driver stops his car on the hard shoulder for an urgent call of nature (ok we know not sufficient reason) and decides to give himself some privacy by going thro the fence into the adjacent field (not being aware of horse), intentionally breaks the fence, and the horse escapes. Same result as above.

What is he guilty of then?

pmh (was peter)
So what is the offence? - Fullchat
Well that does suprise me DVD. Thought we would be looking at a " Failing to have proper control " at the most! Or am I being to cynical?

CPS do seem to be uping the anti. Not before time.

Fullchat
Tom, Gary Hart didn't just make a momentary mistake. He set off on along journey, towing a heavy load behind an vehicle likely to be unstable at motorways speeds, after staying up all night.

Sure, it was a momentary mistake which triggered the accident. But some mistake was very likely as a consequence of his earlier, deliberate actions.
So what is the offence? - Adam {P}
Agree with you there NW but Tom's point is still the same in general isn't it? And that's what I agree with.
--
Adam
Adam, I think that Tom's point is rather different. He seems to overlooking the fact that GH's earlier, deliberate actions created the conditions in which that mistake was more likely.

As the legal test of dangerous driving requires, it would have been "obvious to a competent careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous".
So what is the offence? - Adam {P}
No you misunderstand me NW. I meant I agree with you with regards to the rail crash and Gary Hart but agree with Tom's point in general that throwing people in jail for a genuine mistake isn't the way to go.
--
Adam
If you saw the TV programme on Hart not too long ago, you will know that he still denies that he fell asleep. He insists that something went wrong with the vehicle. I don't know whether the vehicle was unstable or not and I imagine it would have been very difficult to confirm if anything did go wrong with it, after being hit by the train. He certainly won't be the first to have driven in the morning, after having little or no sleep.

One thing I fail to understand is, why the approach, on a motorway, to a railway line, should have no crash barrier to stop a vehicle from ending up where Hart's did. There are some real villains who have cause death by dangerous/reckless driving and who have not been received any worse prison sentences than Hart. The whole programme's approach was quite antagonistic towards him, in my ipinion.
I was about to make the same point - it was never proven that Hart fell asleep, and the contention that he did was based IIRC on evidence that he had spent several hours during the night on the phone and therefore must have been tired. The judge likened his behaviour to that of someone choosing to drive while under the influence of alcohol - but he wasn't, and only Hart, who said that he needed very little sleep, can know whether he was too tired to drive or not.

I should be extremely worried if I was involved in an accident like this that there would be an assumption of negligence followed by a hunt for supporting evidence, given the apparent need for someone to be blamed and punished for everything bad that happens.
We've all driven when tired. I've worked a 24 hour shift and driven home afterwards, nightworkers will get up on Monday morning and spend the day awake then work a full shift and drive home the following day without any sleep in between. The world isn't a perfectly ordered place where we all work 9-5 and get eight hours a night. Sometimes something goes wrong and the consequences are terrible, but life can never be risk free.

I too saw the recent programme on Gary hart and it was a one sided hatchet job designed to try and make him grovel and publicly humiliate him.
So what is the offence? - BobbyG
Hands up all those people who can put hand on heart and guarantee they have never driven whilst over the limit? I can't. And I am talking morning after here, not driving home from the pub.
Hands up all those people who can put hand on heart
and guarantee they have never driven whilst over the limit? I
can't.

If you were over-the-limit, and caused a massive fatal accident as a result, would you be complaining that it was all terribly unfair that the court threw the book at you?
If you were over-the-limit, and caused a massive fatal accident as a result, would you be complaining that it was all terribly unfair that the court threw the book at you?

No, would not have a leg to stand on. Would just hope that would be treated differently from someone who had walked out the pub straight into the driver's seat.

If it was my child who was killed as a result, I would be understandably livid. But of all drink driving offences, it is the one that I have some sympathy for, obviously depending on full details. If they had been binge drinking till the early hours and then got in a car 4 hours later, they deserve to be shot. However, if they had a meal and a couple of bottles of wine, had their full 8 hours sleep and were still over the limit after that, then I would probably be a bit more understanding. It is this scenario that I was referring to in my earlier post.
Hands up all those people who can put hand on heart
and guarantee they have never driven whilst over the limit? I
can't. And I am talking morning after here, not driving home
from the pub.

[::Lifts hands up into the air::]

And I can say that with absolute certainty. I can also say with certainty that I have never driven with alcohol in my system.

And no, I am quite emphatically not teetotal. I just keep the two separate, and following many years when it was necessary to drive to/from most events, I have learnt to enjoy myself without alcohol when necessary.
I think that there is overwhelming public acceptance that drink driving totally unacceptable, however, I don't think the same could be said for driving whilst too tired.

Can you imagine ringing in to the office and telling your boss that you are not fit to drive into work because you didn't sleep the night before. Several years ago, I suffered from clinical depression after my first marriage ended, and I didn't get any meaningful sleep for weeks. I really wasn't fit to drive, yet it was never suggested by my employer that I should stay off work, nor by my GP, who also refused to give me any medication to help in any way at all, for several weeks, even though I told him, on several occasions, that I wasn't sleeping. I went into work, basically, because I thought it was expected of me.

I should mention that driving was a requirement of my job, at the time.
machika, sorry to hear of the difficult circumstances ... but if you had an accident, I think that your employer might have had a few questions to answer.

(GPs are teribly unhelpful abt this sort of thing. They sem to have gone in a three deacdes from throwing sleeping pills around like lollipops, to witholding them until their patient has flipped enirely from sleep deprivation, as happened to a friend of mine in similar circumstances)
machika, sorry to hear of the difficult circumstances ... but
if you had an accident, I think that your employer might
have had a few questions to answer.

I very nearly did have an accident, on at least two occasions that I can remember. It was a terrible time in my life and I am convinced that there must be thousands of drivers on the roads, who are suffering from sleep deprivation, for one reason or another, who really shouldn't be driving.
I think BobbyG's point is that even when we are not wilfully misbehaving, it is difficult for many of us (patently not Patently) to be *certain* that we have not transgressed.

In the same way, how do you *know* what is "too tired" and what isn't?

Please correct me Bobby if I have put the wrong interpretation on this.
I think BobbyG's point is that even when we are not wilfully misbehaving, it is difficult for many of us (patently not Patently) to be *certain* that we have not transgressed.

In the same way, how do you *know* what is "too tired" and what isn't?

Please correct me Bobby if I have put the wrong interpretation on this.

Manates, yes that was basically what I was saying.
And I can say that with absolute certainty. I can also say with certainty that I have never driven with alcohol in my system.

Patently, very interested in how you can make the above statement. How do you ensure this is the case? How do you know that you have no alcohol in your system from say, the previous night?

Believe me, I am not being cynical, I would like to understand what calculations etc you do as I believe medical research basically says that bodies absorb and deal with alcohol in different ways.
Patently, very interested in how you can make the above statement.
How do you ensure this is the case? How do you
know that you have no alcohol in your system from say,
the previous night?

A fair question.

It assists that I do not have a great attachment to alcohol and thus tend not to return from parties in an utterly incapable state. Nevertheless, I do like the stuff in many of its forms and thus there are some "mornings after".

The trick is simply to arrange that either the nights before fall on a Friday or a Saturday, or to limit things to levels that will clearly have been eliminated by the morning. The usual rule of thumb is 2 hours per unit (I understand) - so if you're not up late then you have a good 8 hours in hand, or 4 units. Be conservative and it is reasonable to expect that 2 units have gone by the time I need to drive.

I'd be very surprised indeed if there was anything left at 7:30am of a small(ish) single malt that was finished by 9:30 the previous night.

Tiredness worries me far more, I should say.

So what is the offence? - tunacat
Gary Hart may, or may not, have fallen asleep at the wheel. But up until that point, he was apparently minding his own business driving legally along the motorway. Having found himself on the railway line, he made a telephone call in an attempt to avert disaster.

About a week after the programme about Gary Hart, I saw another programme, probably one of those traffic cops ones, which featured the following item: My memory isn't perfect, but the following details are very close to what was said: Young man, didn't have a licence (old enough, I believe, but hadn't passed test, or was disqualified?), an hour after having taken his state-provided Methadone slug, goes driving a car. He has no insurance, the car is untaxed, might possibly have been stolen. At well in excess of the prevailing 20 mph speed limit, he runs down a boy about 9 years old. The young man then gets out of the car and runs away.
The boy is killed.
Fortunately the young man is caught. But he got something like a £200 fine, a useless driving ban, and 100 hours community service.
Gary Hart was sentenced to 5 years in prison.

I can't square it.
I can't square it.

You are not alone.

A speeding offence, for example, is likely now to attract a higher overall penalty than shoplifting. Now, both are serious or potentially serious offences, but one displays an intention to act criminally whereas the other often does not.
The boy is killed.
Fortunately the young man is caught. But he got something
like a £200 fine, a useless driving ban, and 100 hours
community service.
Gary Hart was sentenced to 5 years in prison.
I can't square it.

This kind of offence is exactly the kind I was trying to make a comparison with in an earlier post. They are regularly reported on in the media and frequently end in the death of some innocent bystander. They also seem to end up with the offender receiving unbelieveably lenient sentences.

In contrast, Gary Hart was treated very severely and I think it was because of the very serious and high profile consequences of his accident. The accusations are still being made that he is callous and uncaring.
So what is the offence? - king arthur
I can never agree with the jailing of somebody for a
mistake, no matter what the consequences. Fair enough if someone is
deliberately behaving in a dangerous manner, racing or trying to outrun
police, or is drunk. But to sentence an otherwise law abiding
citizen to spend years in the company of hardened and violent
criminals for an error of judgement, as in the case of
Gary Hart, is little more than an act of spiteful revenge
to appease the mob.
We have all made errors of judgement on the road, ones
that could have cost someone their life had circumstances
been different.

If you think of your car as a dangerous weapon, like a loaded gun, the use of which requires a certain level of competence and responsibility, then perhaps you wouldn't be so forgiving.
My car is not a dangerous weapon, it's purpose is to transport me. Neither is my gas cooker, but making a mistake when using either can be fatal to myself and others. People don't make mistakes on purpose, but they happen and we have to accept that and accept that there will occasionally be terrible consequences. Prison is for deliberate law breakers who commit a crime knowing it to be wrong and knowing what the penalties are if they are caught, not for the unfortunate or the stupid. There are other ways of dealing with them.
So what is the offence? - king arthur
It doesn't take skill or responsibility to light a gas cooker. It does to drive a car. That's the difference.
So a person who turns the gas on, forgets to light it and blows half the street up is ok, while someone who makes a mistake in a car and kills somebody is a criminal?

I don't see it that way.
Cheers Tom. Taken some time to get to the gas oven so I could have my punch line:

Skydiver dropping at high rate of knots pulls frantrically at D ring which doesn't work. Neither does the emergency shute. As he drops shooting upwards comes Paddy in a state of disarray.
" Know anything about parachutes" the Skydiver shouts across to Paddy as they pass.
"Notta ting" replies Paddy,"Know anyting about Gas Ovens"

.... and if that doesn't kill this thread nowt else will.

DVD
So, what is A charged with? - John R @ home {P}
DVD,

this discussion has covered DD to Gas apliances. Now, back to the thread, what would/could/was A charged with?

Regards,

John R @ Home
So, what is A charged with? - Mark (RLBS)
This thread will stay on motoring or get locked. Your choice, people.
So, what is A charged with? - Dwight Van Driver
John

See above at 5.12.04 15.22

DVD
So, what is A charged with? - Altea Ego
What was the horse charged with?
So, what is A charged with? - Dwight Van Driver
You may jest Renault but are you aware that horses have to have Passports now (EEC Ruling) I kid you not.

tinyurl.com/5z788

So, in your vein, it didn't have one, so was an illegal immigrant and after treatment deported. Last heard of in a gastronomical outlet under the non de plume - hors d'oeuvre.

DVD
So what is the offence? - v8man
Cars are not dangerous - drivers are!
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
So what is the offence? - Mark (RLBS)
Ooops, I fear I might have deleted something.

Sorry about that, I do hope that you can forgive me for the loss of motoring oriented, serious, non-trivial, non-tedious, non-ridiculous debate.

Of course, in the unlikely event that anybody was writing tedious, boring, irrelevant, pedantic, mindless drivel; that might have got deleted as well.