Astra 1.7TD 1998 - Fuel leak - Cornish Lass
Hi,

Just got back from a shopping trip and noticed my car smelling strongly of diesel. Opened the bonnet to find fuel all over the engine bay. On turning the key, it is spraying out of one of the glow-plug housings. The last (or first depending on how you look at it!) glow plug has only one line into it, whereas all the others have (I assume) an in and out feed. The blank port of the last one is capped with a rubber seal, which appears to have perished. Anyone come across this before? Is it just a case of replacing the seal, or as with most car related jobs - the whole housing? My friendly local garage is closed until Monday so just thought I might get some advice here in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Lesley
Astra 1.7TD 1998 - Fuel leak - dieselnut
Sounds like it is the injector rather than a glow plug.
Glow plug has a wire conexion to it as it is an electric heater.
Injector has a solid metal pipe carrying diesel to each injector at high pressure. Injectors also have a spill pipe that carries low pressure fuel back to the tank. This pipe normally joins all four injectors. The last one will only have one pipe, just block off the spare port with a new cap where it is leaking.
HTH.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes when I looked again, I can see its nowhere near the glow plugs! Now I understand what I'm looking at, I can see the problem as you suggested it. I tried every motor factor in the area this morning, to find only Halfords open and the response - sorry too technical for us, best contact someone else in the morning.

I assume its a very quick job to rpelace, but my hubby was curious how tight it would need to be to get a good seal, so probably take it down to my friendly local garage in the morning.

Must be something to do with age of the car as everything seems to be going lately - new power steering pump 2 weeks ago, now reversing lights have packed up aswell!

Thanks again for your reply, Lesley
Astra 1.7TD 1998 - Fuel leak - dieselnut
The spill pipe is usually just a tight push fit as there is no pressure there. You could always put a bit of wire around it if it were a bit loose. You just need a bit of rubber tube the correct diameter then block the other end as a temporary measure. Then order the correct part from Vaux dealer. Glad the diagnosis was correct.
Still a garage shouldn't stitch you up for something so simple - or will they.
Philip.
Hi,

Repair done - 10 minute job and cost me £3! Cheapest garage job ever! Probably cost me more in lost diesel than to get it fixed.

Now, must get reversing lights sorted next!

Thanks, Lesley