Noisy new Polo - Halmer
I had my Passat serviced the other day and they lent me a new Polo for the day.

First impressions were that it looked better quality than my wife's Punto and a bit bigger. When I actually drove the thing though, the engine noise intrusion was shocking. Much noisier than the Punto. I'm not sure what engine it had but I would guess similar to the Fiat i.e. 1.2 (or less maybe).

It felt more stable on the road but I was glad to get the thing returnd to be honest. I find my wife's Fiat far more bearable.

Are they all this noisy?

Noisy new Polo - Number_Cruncher
Although I don't know much at all about either of these motor cars, I do know that some good acoustics researchers have been working at FIAT over the last few years - particularly in the detail mechanisms of engine noise generation and radiation. Perhaps their work is bearing fruit?

number_cruncher
Noisy new Polo - Robin Reliant
Must be something about VW engines. The Lupo I had for two years was the noisiest diesel I have ever owned, sounding like a bag of nails from new. Wasn't just mine as a couple of colleagues had the same car and they were no different. Otherwise the engine gave no problems.
Noisy new Polo - JohnM{P}
I've driven many courtesy Polos from my VW dealer, mostly 1.2s, but also a TDi and 1.4s. I was most impressed with them all, except that they were all noisy - not engine, but road and general wind noise. I'd seriously consider getting one for my 135 mile daily commute, if it wasn't for that. No, turning up the wireless volume is not the answer...!
Noisy new Polo - Adam {P}
Considerably older I know but my mate has an M reg 1.3 Fox in fantastic condition. It's really quite possible to sit at 90 and not feel it - it's a surprisingly comfy ride.
--
Adam
Noisy new Polo - Buster Cambelt
FIL has a newish 1.2 Polo and I think it's a cracking little car. Quality is great and the engine is brilliant for a tiddler.

Crikey, I just something nice about VAG. I'll go and have a lie down.
Noisy new Polo - tyro
Don't know anything about the Polo, but I had a Punto for a hire car in early 2002 and was surprised at just how quiet the engine was. So maybe it's not that Polo is noisy, but that Punto is quiet.