Peugeot 406 rear wheel bearing - Robin the Technician
Just visited by local Pug agent to get a set of rear wheel bearings (drum brake) for my 1999 406 diesel estate . I was told that you can't change the bearings but you have to replace the complete hub at circa £130 + vat. Is this right?? As a Technician I fail to see why these bearings can't be changed. Anyone had any experience of these and can the bearings be changed?? I suspect that Peugeot are trying it on.
Your divine assistance and advice is appreciated.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Peugeot 406 rear wheel bearing - Reggie
The N/S/L wheel bearings on mine are whine slightly, (mines a disc with a drum handbrake), and when I made enquiries was told the same, although I think that I was quoted about £85 for the hub (with the bearings in situ).
As the noise is barely discernable and there is no play apparent, and as it has not deteriorated for some months, I am not going to intervene yet, although I would be interested if you find that they can be changed "the old fashioned way".

Reggie
Peugeot 406 rear wheel bearing - Reggie
That is the N/S/L/ rear.
Reggie
Peugeot 406 rear wheel bearing - cholin
Don't have my Mr. Haynes to hand but does he have any views on the matter? In view of the response from two dealers might there be a difficulty in obtaining the bearings separatly?
Peugeot 406 rear wheel bearing - Civic8
Dont know if this will help
www.pugspares.co.uk/PartsSearchResults.asp?PugIDNo...o

worth a try I think. sorry if useless
--
Steve
Peugeot 406 rear wheel bearing - Number_Cruncher
Robin, I agree, there should be provision for the bearing to be changed. As far as I am aware, this is a growing trend, with manufacturers getting the hub and bearing assembly as one part.

Hopefully, the aftermarket will get involved, supply a cheaper fix, and bring the makers back to their senses.

number_cruncher
Peugeot 406 rear wheel bearing - DL
Motaquip do the rear hubs for 406's - just make sure you count the number of teeth on the ABS reluctor to make sure you get the correct one. About £80ish plus the VAT

You will need a 40mm socket and a puller to remove the hub from the stub, mind.

The parts changed part number in 1999, apparently.

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peugeot 406 rear wheel bearing - Davy_S {P}
Robin, Another source for bearings are GSF carparts.

www.gsfcarparts.com/

Don't know about changing them though.
--
Davy S.

Oops, where did that screw go!!
Peugeot 406 rear wheel bearing - Chas{P}
Robin

No, Peugeot are not trying it on!

Yes indeed Motaquip do these hubs. Need to know how many ABS Teeth there are either 29 or 48 teeth if you have ABS on your vehicle.

The last two occasions I needed a suspected rear wheel bearing it turned out to be noisy faulty tyres. (Thanks to Avon)

HTH

Charles