avensis D4D - ratty
Hello everyone,
The management and I are looking for a mondeo size estate (we hired a mondeo for a weekend and thought it was pretty good), and wondered if any of you have experience of the toyota avensis "tourer" D4D. Especially grateful if you have thoughts of how comfortable it is for long journeys and how noisey is it when under load and when cruising.
Would anyone know what is the avensis D4D gearing in fifth gear? A mondeo doing 35mph/1000rpm sounds good - and more relaxed than the 1.8lx that we hired which was about 25mph/1000rpm IIRC.
many thanks for any thoughts and info.
avensis D4D - Hull4000
Get the Honda Accord diesel. Superb car!
avensis D4D - ratty
Get the Honda Accord diesel. Superb car!

Yes, I expected to but when we tried sitting in it we were surprised how much smaller it felt than a mondeo, particularly in the back a lot less head and shoulder room and a bit darker too. After all the rave reviews it was a real surprise not to even need to take it for a drive - just trying to sit in it was enough.
Trouble is SWMBO really doesn't like the whole dealership/test drive business and so it would be helpful if anyone can help us rule a toyota in/out of the picture.

Has no one here got an avensis D4D? go on you can admit it ..
avensis D4D - Pugugly {P}
"Trouble is SWMBO really doesn't like the whole dealership/test drive business."

Mine lets me go on my own now. I only wheel her in to chip away at the price.
avensis D4D - Sprice
IIRC, Honest John himself is a fan of the Toyota D4-D engines, at least in the Yaris, in particular its smoothness.
avensis D4D - ratty
Thank you everyone for your thoughts so far.

No Wheels and Cheddar - yes oomph, quiet, and comfort are all important to some degree. We do mainly rural and motorway driving so need to be able to get past when overtaking, but greatly value comfort on long journeys. With some cars we arrive after a few hundred miles and take some time to recover from the journey and with others feel fine on arrival. I think the biggest factor in this is the noise level at high speed from tyres and engine. The mondeo we had for a weekend was pretty good but did have a fair bit of road roar (I looked but didn't recognise the tyre brand so more expensive ones might be better) and engine roar at fast motorway speeds (but 5th gear in that certainly wasn't pulling 31.5mph/1000rpm like yours Cheddar). It is also not very relaxing for passengers if I have to wind it up to 5000rpm to overtake on A-roads, so I hope a diesel will be more relaxed doing the same job at 3000rpm.

Would anyone know if, when driving a D4D,you find the relatively low power output limiting your ability to overtake on A-roads. Very subjective I know, but is it enough to make adequate progress?
avensis D4D - blue_haddock
As i work for Toyota i regularly drive D4D powered vehicles and i can honestly say i've never had a problem overtaking

If i remember rightly in a Rav4 D4D 70mph is about 2500rpm and 80 mph is just under 3000rpm, don't know if that differs in an avensis though.
avensis D4D - rhino
We hired an Avensis D4D last summer in France. I have to say it was superb. Despite it being brand new, the engine had plenty of grunt and the overall impression was of a quality and durable car. Family of five plus luggage caused no problems, roomier than it looks, and it was a pleasure to drive.
Highly recommended.
avensis D4D - BB
27.5Mph/1000rpm in my 52 plate old shape D4D.
If you are after a torquey engine, the 120Bhp 1.9Dci unit in SWMBO Renault Megane is excellent. One of the best I have driven.
Also, have you considered a 2.0d X type estate? Go have a test drive.