AA Petrolbusters - FP
I don't know if many backroomers have used this free service from the AA. To describe briefly: you can either search on the website or have an e-mail sent to you to inform you of the lowest fuel prices in your area, with individual filling stations named.

I have just received an e-mail telling me the service is to close. Ironically, only yesterday I acted on information received to save myself around £1 on a tank of Shell diesel.

Maybe if they get enough messages of protest the AA will reconsider.
AA Petrolbusters - Altea Ego
No need for it now. With your local tesco/morrisons/sainsbury now selling over a third of all fuel sold in the uk no one is going to be cheaper than them in the local area.
AA Petrolbusters - L'escargot
No need for it now. With your local tesco/morrisons/sainsbury now selling
over a third of all fuel sold in the uk no
one is going to be cheaper than them in the local
area.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a Tesco/Morrisons/Sainsbury/Asda/Whatever just around the corner. My nearest is some 27 miles away, and I'm sure their prices aren't cheap enough to warrant me doing a round trip of 54 miles just to fill up!

--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
AA Petrolbusters - king arthur
Why not start our own Petrolbusters thread here?

Here in Watford, unleaded is currently 80.9p per litre, and diesel 82.9p per litre, at the Tescos near Bushey Arches, at the Shell and the Sainsbury's at the Dome Roundabout (probably the BP and the Asda there too, haven't looked), at the Total garage on the A41 Eldon Way and the one on the A41 Hempstead Rd.

The only place I've seen fuel cheaper than the cheapest in Watford is at the Tescos on the A45 in Coventry, where it was 1p cheaper.

Can anyone beat this?
AA Petrolbusters - quizman
I wouldn't use supermarket fuel in my car. I have used it in the past and have been very disappointed with it.
I always use Shell diesel. At my nearest filling station it is the same price as the supermarkets.
I am sure that BP, Esso, Texaco etc. are also good fuels.
However I use Tesco for my groceries, very good.
AA Petrolbusters - king arthur
I wouldn't use supermarket fuel in my car. I have used
it in the past and have been very disappointed with it.
I always use Shell diesel. At my nearest filling station it
is the same price as the supermarkets.
I am sure that BP, Esso, Texaco etc. are also good
fuels.

Here we go again!

The only difference between the fuels is in the detergents they add.
AA Petrolbusters - quizman
The only difference between beers are the hops and malt they use.

I am absolutely sure that branded fuels are better than supermarket stuff, and just to prove it your majesty, read Honest John more often.
AA Petrolbusters - carlh
Supermarkets are not necessarily the cheapest. In Preston there is a Shell F/Stn just around the corner from a Supermarket F/Stn and the Shell site always matches or undercuts the Sainsburys price.
AA Petrolbusters - Schnitzel
Hmm, I think the AA get the data from Equifax or Experian, I can't remember which, but the man who set it up before selling it to the AA said it was data collected by the credit card clearing system. I guess these data providers have put the prices up, or maybe it's not a conicidence that the closure coincides with the intoduction-proper of 'chin and pip'.
AA Petrolbusters - Quinny100
I never really saw the attraction of a service that would tell you the filling station 10 miles away is 2p a litre cheaper and therefore you will save a whole pound upon filling up an average tank! Of course you've probably spent far more than a pound in fuel getting there!

In my experience in a given area the supermarkets and big name suppliers (Esso, BP, Shell, Texaco) are all within 2p a litre of each other at any given time.

Lifes too short.
AA Petrolbusters - Schnitzel
It depends where you live, if you live in suburbia, the cheapest 5 near you is very useful, and even if the cheap one is a few miles away, it may be on the way to somewhere you go every week, so you fit it into your routine.

Brand Forecourt Dist. km (miles) Last update Price
1 SHELL SHELL MARMION 3.51 (2.19) 15/11/2004 82.9
2 TEXACO STAR DERBY ROAD 4.29 (2.68) 15/11/2004 84.9
3 SHELL SHELL LACE MARKET 4.29 (2.68) 15/11/2004 84.9
4 SAINSBURYS SAINSBURYS CASTLE BOULEVARD 4.7 (2.94) 15/11/2004 83.9
5 TOTAL TCS CARRINGTON 1.65 (1.03) 15/11/2004 85.9
AA Petrolbusters - smokie
I signed up a week ago. Today I received a mail saying

"We have, therefore, decided to stop the Petrolbusters onlineService from December 9th this year"

Ah well...never mind