Rover 75 2.5 brakes - La15
Hi All,

I have a problem with my R75 in that the N/S rear brake disc is badly scored (for whatwever reason - stone in pad maybe). The pads are obviously bought as a piar & will be replaced at te same time, but my question is this - can the disc itself be replaced singly or do they have to be replaced as a pair, ie both rear discs at the same time?
Many thanks,
Neil.
Rover 75 2.5 brakes - Civic8
I would replace both..I always make a point of doing this. though others may dissagree?
--
Steve
Rover 75 2.5 brakes - mfarrow
I don't think you'll find anyone disagreeing with that one! Any brake related, replace in pairs, otherwise you'll cause no end of problems such as unbalanced brakes, particularly as one side beds itself in!

mfarrow
Rover 75 2.5 brakes - DP
Agree with steve and mfarrow.
Rover 75 2.5 brakes - La15
Thanks for the replies so far.

However, the more I think about this the more I think I might be asking the wrong questions...

Last night as I tried to pull away (after the car has been sat for 3 days) the car wouldn't move - the N/S rear brake was 'locked' somehow. I pumped the brakes approx. 15 times & took the handbrake on/off several times also, & the brake eventually freed itself. When I looked at the N/S wheel, the disc was indeed scored near the outer rim of the disc, for a distance of approx 1/2 inch or so, which led me to ask my initial questiion about replacing the discs.

So, Do you think it sounds more likely to be a handbrake problem than a disc problem?
Cheers, Neil.
Rover 75 2.5 brakes - SjB {P}
If the car had been stood for several days, especially in damp weather or if washed immediately prior to standing, it is quite usual for brake surfaces to corrode together. The force required to free them up can be quite substantial (After his holiday where the car was parked up outside in the rain, I once watched a neighbour drag his FWD car (Mondeo) along the road with the rear wheels locked). I helped him in the end by suggesting he reverse, with some bodies sat in the boot. This worked, with a BANG!

For this reason, when leaving my car in the home garage whilst going away on holiday, I leave the car in gear with the hand brake off.

Note that many cars with rear discs (don't know about the 75 2.5, but certainly my V70 2.4T) have separate handbrake drum and shoes inside the rear wheel hubs. This means that the disk brake is not used for holding the car whilst parked.
Rover 75 2.5 brakes - Civic8
Actually not certain how the handbrake works on 75. ie has it seperate shoes in the hub.Or applied by caliper..As you have scored discs anyway. I would suggest replacing as this will affect braking performance.
--
Steve
Rover 75 2.5 brakes - R40
The 75 does have separate handbrake shoes in the hub of the disc.

hth

M
Rover 75 2.5 brakes - DL
The same way as a Peugeot 406 has it's handbrake setup...
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....