Car Ramps - adrian6
Some while ago, I saw a set of car ramps which allowed the top piece to be raised, once the car was in position. This allowed the use of the ramp by a car with a low front skirt, without damage. Anyone else seen it - or can remember who makes them? Many thanks, Adrian.
Car Ramps - El Dingo
I'm not sure what you mean - but I know that my Audi A4 and my (sadly gone) Leon Cupra R will/would not drive up a standard pair of Halfords finest because of the low bumper/spoiler. I had to supplement with two pieces of 6" x 2" to create a nice shallow angle to drive up...
El Dingo.
Car Ramps - martint123
I think I saw a pair in the current edition of 'car mechanics'. Don't have it with me, but I got the impression you drove onto low ramps and there was a jack that hoiked them up........

Here you go. Watch out about frightening the wallet though!!

www.reayco.co.uk/

Martin
Car Ramps - puntoo
Latest issue of practical classic has them in, they also had a full home ramp system (similar to those in a pro car workshop) for about 500 notes.
Car Ramps - Cliff Pope
I've never felt too onfident about driving up ramps anyway. They can have a disconcerting habit of sliding along the garage floor if not wedged against the wall with planks.
I generally jack the suspension up on a trolley jack and then slide the ramp under the wheel for better security. That way you can have them facing backwards, which gives more clearance eg for a gearbox out job.
Car Ramps - NARU
I've never felt too onfident about driving up ramps anyway. They can have a disconcerting habit of sliding along the garage floor

I always solved this with a piece of old carpet wrapped round the first couple of rungs and onto the floor in front of the ramps.
Car Ramps - Stargazer {P}
I have had the opposite effect. Ramps on damp tarmac surface, wheels gripped on the rungs and as engine revs were increased one of the wheels spun and sent the ramp towards the rear of the car and wedged under the sill by the passenger door. Oops.

Car Ramps - BazzaBear {P}
Hmm...
Surely these ramps leave you in exactly the same position as with a car help up by a jack - unable to work underneath it in case it falls on your head?
Car Ramps - Altea Ego
Noo, (provided its chocked) It leaves you in exactly the same postion as axle stands safety wise, albiet in this case unable to work on wheels/hubs/brakes.

I too have a set of ramps in the garage, now useless as none of the RF vehicles can get up them without ripping off spoilers.
Car Ramps - BazzaBear {P}
But these particular ramps have a jack element to them, so if a seal goes, down comes the car. Admittedly it won't come all the way down - but I still wouldn't want to be under it.
Car Ramps - Cliff Pope
Surely they have some kind of mechanical safety lock?
Car Ramps - Robin Reliant
I hate working under a car that is only supported on axle stands or ramps. Where room permits, I always try and gently wedge a tool box or similar under the car just in case the worst happens. I once had a ramp topple sideways as I drove on, not a pretty result.
Car Ramps - SjB {P}
Although I don't touch the V70, I do maintain SWMBO's 306 myself as far as I can, simply because I enjoy doing so, and had oil finger withdrawal symptoms after years of single car tenureship, with that car being a company car!

Anyway, I never bother with ramps, not when Halfords could sell me a three tonne trolley jack and two BSI certified axles stands, and still give me change from fifty quid. The extra time taken to jack the car up and support it isn't worth worrying about. (When working under the front of the car, I jack up centrally, not side by side)

Not only do I not have to worry about driving up and down the ramps without causing damage, but I have maximum flexibility when it comes to working on powertrain, or simply taking the opportunity of being under the car to check for weeping dampers (because they are now fully extended), etc.
Car Ramps - Jazzyjimbob
www.reayco.co.uk/

I can't seem to access this site for height adjustable car ramps. I have been looking (& bidding on ebay) for such an item for many moons, all the ones on ebay are too far away to be economically sound. Any of you guys know of any manufactures around.

sq - so confusing was it, if I have snipped something essential let me know

Edited by Pugugly on 27/07/2008 at 17:49

Car Ramps - Pugugly
Deadlink indeed - however by googling the web address found this, it has the suppliers telephone number in it -I think its in the Rhyl area of N Wales.

HYDRAULIC CAR RAMPS

Dear Sir I have just introduced to the market place, an innovative design of hydraulic car ramps called: The ReayRamp. I advertise in Car Mechanics and Practical Classics and I display them at many Auto Shows and Auto Jumble shows around the UK. My website is www.reayco.co.uk. Please take a look and if you feel that this product may be of interest to your members then please link my site to yours and if I receive any orders that mention your club I will of course offer a discount. This is a brand new product that I am selling, there is nothing else like this available today. Safety has been my first consideration, as I work under cars a lot. I have the benefit of many years of nose up against sumps and I am sure that many of your members who still continue to use trolley jacks and axle stands will easily appreciate the time savings of the ReayRamp. Kind regards John Reay REAYCO 01745 351157 but please reply only to johnreay@hotmail.com quoting Ramps

Car Ramps - Jazzyjimbob
Big thanks for phone No. I mean BIG thanks

quoted post snipped (again)

Edited by Pugugly on 27/07/2008 at 17:59

Car Ramps - Old Navy
The August 08 issue of Car Mechanics magazine has a product test of eight different car ramps, they have several different methods of overcoming the low front spoiler / bumper problem.
Car Ramps - buzbee
"[website has telephone number 01745 351 157]"

Just tried it twice and got message "this number does not receive incoming calls"!!

Does the fellow not want to be found?
Car Ramps - daveyjp
It's probably set not to receive anonymous incoming calls.

If you are calling from a DDI or DDO system or have caller ID switched off it may not leave a number - try calling from a mobile.
Car Ramps - buzbee
I did not hide my house telephone number.
Car Ramps - Mapmaker
As this original thread is now four years old, I guess the number may be no longer active.
Car Ramps - buzbee
I have just received an email from him. He is no longer making them for various reasons to do with manufacture and storage. The price was £150.