Gearbox seals on a ZX - Tricky job? - PaulC2004
Hi all,
Was thinking about tackling this little job soon, second gear is a bit tricky to get whilst its cold (at first pull away). Could this be anything to do with the oil lever in the gearbox ? Checked and it looks like one of the seals is worn and the "odd" drip comes out. Hardly any though, but I suppose if its been like that for a while the lever might be low

Any suggestion on costs / time to complete / trickieness

Thanks
Paul

Gearbox seals on a ZX - Tricky job? - IanT
Can't answer your question directly, but my experience with "stiff gearchange when cold" on a 306 was ...

1. Changed gearbox oil - possible improvement, but not much.

2. Dismantled, cleaned, greased and refitted gearchange linkage - noticeable improvement. Still not perfect, but I can live with it now.

Still describing the 306 (petrol & diesel) ...

I assume the gearbox seals you are talking about are the ones the driveshafts fit through. Easy replacement once the driveshaft has been pulled out of the seal - don't forget to drain the gearbox oil first!

You can leave the driveshafts bolted to the wheel hub, which saves a job. You just need to separate the hub from the lower suspension and loosen the shock absorber top mountings to get enough free play to pull the driveshaft out of the seal.

Left hand side is easier than right hand side.

It is well documented in Haynes.
Ian