Green mould - removal & prevention? - weatherwitch
By heck, it's been a while since I was last here and I remembered the great advice given so where better to post this?

I've a 99 Corolla and because I am disabled I rarely use it so the poor thing's stood for most of the time. The problem is that I live near a wood, and the window rubber, side bumper strips, boot plastic etc., anywhere there's rubber protective plastic is going green and leaving green run marks down the car :( It looks blooming awful. So I've two questions, firstly is there some kind of treatment I can use for this? Some type of cleaner or detergent or anti-mould thing that I can add to washing water that will both clean it away without damaging the vehicle and that helps prevent it growing again? (Ok so it won't be me washing it by hand, I won't be able to)

Secondly, there's no garage, car port or any kind of shelter available to put the car into to protect it, are you guys aware of anything else I could use to cover the vehicle to help protect it? Those huge protective sheets are pretty much out of the question, stretching is not at all easy, and the elasticated versions require upper arm strength which I don't have, but maybe there's an improved version out there since I last tried them. Any ideas please?

Green mould - removal & prevention? - Andrew-T
Several questions here. We have one car which lives 'indoors' and one which doesn't. The latter (2000W) hasn't yet built up any noticeable algae, so I presume that averagely frequent drying off whenever it gets wet is enough to prevent that. But on those cars which I have had to remove algae from, I find that a stiff brush (plastic naturally) removes it pretty well - certainly from lower window edges etc.

Having never tried any, I can't recommend treatments, but in principle I would regard them as another snake-oil product. Wouldn't advise car covers either; they ensure the car stays damp as long as possible - not advisable.
Green mould - removal & prevention? - Schnitzel
You could try a chemical algae treatment for aquariums or pond water, I think they're based on copper salts, but I can't imagine them working as they'd rinse off, you would have to leave them on.

I find waxing the car a double-edged sword, while it protects the paintwork and helps the water bead off when moving, on a parked car, I think they stay wet long after the other cars where the water spread into films have dried.
Green mould - removal & prevention? - Dynamic Dave
weatherwitch,

Here's some previous suggestions on removing green mould from rubber seals:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24345

Green mould - removal & prevention? - crashinvestigator
Hi

You can get a type of tent that has a centre spline that you just push over and it covers over the object like a tent.
I dont know if they do them for cars but i am advised they do for bikes, woth checking?
Green mould - removal & prevention? - pmh
Whilst searching for something else in the garage I found a bottle of Polycell Mould Cleaner, which promises miracles when you read the label. With 5 minutes to spare I attacked an area of moulding rubber and an area of felt like material on the sunroof seal on one of the wrecks (description by SWMBO, my word is project!) in the driveway. The results on the rubber were remarkably good. The felt cleaned up reasonably, but a toothbrush would probably make it like new.

My only reservation is that the bottle is probably 15 years old and all the active chemicals have now probably been banned, the hazard warnings seemed pretty comprehensive. Try some of the modern stuff or at least get the composition from a label and I will compare it.

pmh (was peter)
Green mould - removal & prevention? - weatherwitch
Many thanks to everyone for their help and to DynamicDave for linking to an old thread about it which I never found.

pmh I'll have a look for the stuff you mentioned, it definately needs something to blast it off hopefully into eternity!
Green mould - removal & prevention? - Altea Ego
You meed to take care with cleaning off the mould. It makes a great substance for harbouring dirt and grit, and turns into a lovely grinding and scratching paste when made damp.

Pressure washer is my advice

Green mould - removal & prevention? - davidb
Caravanners battle with this problem. Ask about products in a caravan sales place. Alternatively one currently advertised in the Caravan Club Magazine is Brintons Multisurface Mould Cleaner, see www.brintonproducts.co.uk I haven't tried it myself though. The advert claims it needs no scrubbing or blasting, just dilute and apply with watering can or garden sprayer. Hope this helps. David B.
Green mould - removal & prevention? - Andrew-T
RF - pressure washer - best way to find any potential water ingress points!