Rearward facing searchlights on towtruck - L'escargot
I had the misfortune the other night to catch up (on a twisty single-carriageway road) with a towtruck that was giving a suspended tow to a car that had no lights. The towtruck had lights, however ~ two rearward-facing high-wattage searchlights near the top, aimed slightly downwards, that were shining over the top of said towed car! I was not amused!
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Rearward facing searchlights on towtruck - Cliff Pope
It's the same with tractors. They either have no lights at all, or else a pair of rear facing searchlights as you describe. Tractors also appear to have no way of dipping their headlights.

Rearward facing searchlights on towtruck - Carse
L'escargot,

With all due respect if you were the required distance behind the truck (especially as it was towing) I do not believe the lights would have been an issue.

C.
Rearward facing searchlights on towtruck - GrumpyOldGit
Nor would I have been L'escargot. Not only irritating to you and other follwing traffic but the driver was breaking the law.
Rearward facing searchlights on towtruck - BazzaBear {P}
L'escargot,
With all due respect if you were the required distance behind
the truck (especially as it was towing) I do not believe
the lights would have been an issue.
C.

Can't agree with you there. The lights in uestion are usually pretty powerful floodlights, designed so the operator can see exactly what he's doing when attaching the car. I'd say you could be a fair way back and still find them dazzling.
Rearward facing searchlights on towtruck - Pugugly {P}
Illegal.
Rearward facing searchlights on towtruck - Civic8
>>Can't agree with you there. The lights in uestion are usually pretty powerful floodlights, designed so the operator can see exactly what he's doing when attaching the car. I'd say you could be a fair way back and still find them dazzling.

Lights are only there to assist. not to drive on..Think you missed the point.
--
Steve
Rearward facing searchlights on towtruck - BazzaBear {P}
>>Can't agree with you there. The lights in uestion are usually
pretty powerful floodlights, designed so the operator can see exactly what
he's doing when attaching the car. I'd say you could be
a fair way back and still find them dazzling.
Lights are only there to assist. not to drive on..Think you
missed the point.
--
Steve

I don't think I missed the point. The point, as you say, is that they're there to assist when loading the car, and should not be lit when the truck is in motion.
My point was just that they are very bright, and very dazzling, which is why they shouldn't be lit when the truck is in motion.
Rearward facing searchlights on towtruck - L'escargot
L'escargot,
With all due respect if you were the required distance behind
the truck (especially as it was towing) I do not believe
the lights would have been an issue.
C.

I should have explained further. The truck was doing about 30mph on a rural road and the lights were so dazzling that I could make out nothing of the road ahead of it unless I pulled out completely in order to enable me to decide whether I could safely overtake. I had to follow the truck for several miles before I dare attempt an overtake. I was on a long journey and I just wanted to get home.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Rearward facing searchlights on towtruck - THe Growler
For some reason this is a feature of Japanese trucks, to have a spotlight at chassis level aimed rearwards. Many used Jap trucks are imported to the Philippines, and the constant dazzling of following traffic is both dangerous and inexplicable.

When the government banned RHD Japanese trucks because they were deemed too dangerous, so everyone converted to LHD, one might have thought this little detail would have been addressed.

Ah, well, 5 out of 10 trucks here travel with no rear lights at all (very exciting when they stop in the fast lane so the helper can change a tyre while the driver has a snooze and a fag) so I suppose it's a case of small mercies etc.
Rearward facing searchlights on towtruck - SjB {P}
Saw (at the last second, but thankfully not in my carriageway) a filthy dirty, black looking, Tigra last night, being driven through drizzle on an unlit main road, with no lights of any type illuminated. Numbscull.