100 or 130bhp TDI? - Dave Andrews
im looking at buying a passat TDI (new shape). the 130bhp is a little more expensive and there are fewer around. whats the difference between the 100 and 130bhp - same 1.9 engine? are there any differences apart from the engine management and can i purchase a 100bhp and chip it up to 130bhp or near about.

thanks in advance

dave
100 or 130bhp TDI? - Truckosaurus
In the Skoda Octavia, the 100bhp engine is a non-PD one, so will be less efficient than the more advanced 130bhp version, the Passat might be the same. There may be intercooler differences between the differently powered versions too.
100 or 130bhp TDI? - Dave Andrews
on looking at the passat they are both PD units.
anyone had experience of chipping a 100bhp unit and what was the result?
100 or 130bhp TDI? - SjB {P}
Use the Forum Search with phrases that include VAG, Passat, diesel, and TDI, and you'll find enough reading material to occupy you until Christmas.

Some examples:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25215&...f
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15919&...f

The latter includes a link to the excellent source of information at www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-6.html#e1
100 or 130bhp TDI? - cheddar
The difference between the two is not only 30 hp, the 130 produces a lot more torque as well. I think I am right in saying that the 130 has a variable vane turbocharger where as the 100 does not. Also regarding chipping bear in mind that VW restricted the max torque of the 130's with the 5 speed box to 310nm because the box would not take more torque where as the 130's with the 6 speed box are quoted as 320nm.

I would go for a slightly older 130 (perhaps a Sport with the 6 speed box) because it is not only much more gutsy than the 100, it is likely to be more economical too.