Out with the Clio ..in with ? - doog
The wife has a V reg 1.4RT clio 45,000 miles....owned it 2 years..purchased from main dealer..in that time head gasket went...£350 and then lamda sensor (£140 inc fitting).the washers have packed up it needs 2 front tyres and a major service...I want rid...want to buy a 'new' car..

weve narrowed it down to these:

..wife likes new clio.......nooooo...quoted 5 door 1.2..£7999 ours plus £5700..i thinks its dated

Yaris blue 1.0 litre..5 door.... £7995 ours plus £6200..nice drive but...not much part ex on the clio

Mitsubishi Colt black 1124cc 5 door £7999 ours plus £5350...3 cylinder engine,slightly noisy ...best part ex..offering us £2650

These arent internet prices,local dealers.. and I simply want the convenience of chopping it in..and having a local dealer.I cant sell it privately without washers working,new tyres and the service book stamped so part ex ..if i spent the money I may get £3200 private...so the Mitsubishi appeals..anyone recommend anything else
Out with the Clio ..in with ? - Altea Ego
Dont go near the clio, its replacement is due soon.

Toddle the wife down the Nissan garage where she will fall in love with the micra.

Dont take her the citroen garage where she would also fall in love the with the C3 - you dont want that happening.
Thanks..during the test drive for the Clio..(listening to same creaky sunroof) specifically asked about new clio and salesman states 'heard nothing...but any replacement is at last 2 years away'.......!!

We popped in the Nissan garage and the wife hates the Micra...just the shape..we didnt drive it...likewise the C3.........

the Colt black is tempting me but the word is, that this is their last throw of the dice...if it doesnt sell in numbers in Europe Mitsubishi goes down the cludgy...
Out with the Clio ..in with ? - carl_a
I'm sure if you go to some other Toyota dealers you will be able to get a better deal on a Yaris (not sure that the Blue edition is any better value than the standard versions).

If your looking for something different theres the Hyundai Getz, according to some australian magazine its better than any other small car including the Jazz, Yaris and nothing can touch it on value. Also the Skoda Fabia (just refreshed), Fiat Panda & Kia Picanto.
Out with the Clio ..in with ? - daveyjp
If you've looked at the Colt, drive past a local MB dealer and go and see the smart forfour - same car different body.
Out with the Clio ..in with ? - cheddar
Have a look at the Renault Modus no bigger than a Clio though more spacious.
Out with the Clio ..in with ? - Altea Ego
"specifically asked about new clio and salesman states 'heard nothing...but any replacement is at last 2 years away'.......!!"

Well he would wouldnt he. Its in the uk in 2005.

Sunroof still creaking? is this a record? bin that way since 1999.
Out with the Clio ..in with ? - AR-CoolC
Indeed.

My sources in Europe tell me the Clio III will be available on the continent spring 2005, and in the UK late 2005.

It always makes me laugh how dealers know less than the general public about release dates of new cars.
Out with the Clio ..in with ? - Citroënian {P}
Fabia? £6995 gets you a brand new 1.2
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Thanks for the replies..just looked at the new Fabia..seemed to have smoothed the shape out..looks allright!
Out with the Clio ..in with ? - Bill Payer
What about Seat Ibiza (it's a Polo / Fabia under the skin). My daughter just got a 1.2S and it's a very good package, although I think we ought to have dropped metallic paint and gone for the SX which (without metallic) would have only cost £200 more.
While we're on the VAG theme, I noticed that VW just reduced the price of the Polo Twist - might be worh a look.

Other experience is with Honda Jazz, which replaced my wife'e Clio 1.6RXE. Apart from both rear springs breaking (which Renault fixed FOC although out of warranty) ours was faultless. I was a bit miffed to only get around £3K for it (5 yrs old/25K miles). On the Jazz, if you want a/c then you're looking a bit over £10K but it really is a cut above the others - you won't get the sunroof creaking for example. If A/C isn't essential then Honda have just intro'd an entry level 1.2 version which (I think) is around £8K.
Out with the Clio ..in with ? - helicopter
I would certainly go for the Yaris and try a bit of hard negotiation on the price - don't forget the Toyota dealers want your business because they know once you buy Toyota you won't ever want to change.They really do look after you very well and the car is very reliable.

The only thing is that IMO the 1 litre is a bit underpowered.

If your budget will stretch to a 1.3 go for that - SWMBO has just changed from a 1 to 1.3 litre and it is a much better drive.

The Honda Jazz is a great car but is going to cost you more but again if your budget will stretch , why not see what sort of a deal you can get.

Do your research on prices before you go there and decide what you want to pay , what you want in P/ Ex and don't budge. Don't forget theres always room for negotiation and don't be afraid to do an Oliver Twist and ask for more .
Thanks for the replies.........ive done the dirty on the missus today...she's getting new tyres,fixed washers and a service and Ive traded my 1 year old vectra in for an Mazda6.....oh dear!!!
Out with the Clio ..in with ? - Citroënian {P}
That'll be you in the doog house then....Oh dear.

--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.