Local plod gets tough! - Ian (cape town)
Just seen this in the local paper - Traffic offences and fine's we can expect!
Some, which I've highlighted, have been discussed often here in the backroom.
(Bear in mind that the average monthly income here is about R4 000 - and that there is no points on the license system).

Speeding(120km/h zone):
131-135km/h - R400
146-150km/h - R600
161-165km/h - R900
176-180km/h - R1500
Over 180km/h - NAG - No Admission of Guilt(no fine option)

Not carrying Licence
R100

Not wearing Seatbelt
R100

Jumping Red Lights
R500

****Following Distance
R300

Pedestrian on Freeway
R100

****Jaywalking
R100

****Inappropriate fog light use
R100

****Cell phone - No hands free kit
R500

****Failing to keep left on Freeway
R200

Not using turning signals
R200

Unroadworthy vehicle
R300

Expired Vehicle Licence
R200

Reckless Driving
NAG

Drunken Driving
NAG

One of the most popular myths is that you can smooth-talk an officer into a lower fine, but this is not so as fines are fixed!

Another belief is that speed traps won't nab you unless you're travelling at 10km/h over the speed limit. This much is true!

But, for reckless driving, drunken driving or driving 60km/h over the
limit, you'll be hauled in front of a magistrate who can slap you with a fine of up to R24,000 and/or a spell in jail (NAG).
Re: Local plod gets tough! - The Growler
Ian, is there no "flexibility"? In Manila we also have some dreadful penalties but no one ever pays them, it's simply a matter of negotiating with the officer apprehending. Being foreign ands driving large imported vehicle gets one off to a bad start but with a smattering of the lingo I can usually be on my way for the price of lunch.

People ask me do I ever miss England? Well, er, no actually...
Re: Local plod gets tough! - Mark (Brazil)

Its pretty much the same here. A speeding fine is R$600 where as a salary for a policeman is around R$250 per month.

As Growler says, a bit of chat and the price of a lunch and away you go.

The only difference is that here it is easier if you are a Gringo, rather than more difficult. It is perceived that there is more chance of you having "important" friends which worries the police somewhat.

M.
Re: Local plod gets tough! - Ian (cape town)
Some plod will make it plain that a "brown envelope" will not be ignored, but the majority are on the straight-and-narrow.
As long as a fine -or threat thereof - keeps the holiday death-toll down, I'm not complaining!
We have an annual exodus from the interior to the coast - and that is an 800 mile trip from Johannesburg to Cape Town - about 3000 cars per hour on some spots on the roads, so things tend to get hairy!
Re: Local plod gets tough! - The Growler
THis reminded me of last December. Normally one can turn right on a red light in the Philippines provided its safe (or just do it anyway!). Not for nothing is "Filipino ingenuity" a national matter of pride. I was nicked for making a turn perfectly legal in other circumstances. The reason "Sir, the rule has been suspended for the Christmas season!"

No guesses as to why.......
Re: Local plod gets tough! - Alan
I think its a good idea to fine people for not using indicators.
On some cars they are never used except when tested once a year at MOT time.
Re: Local plod gets tough! - Honest John
In Bali in August I had to pay Rph 200,000 (about £13) for not having a valid licence and the bit of paper I got bought me permission to drive for 21 days plus an immunity from further prosecution. Cheaper than one of those stupid 'International Driving Permits' that have now become a hassle to get in the UK.

HJ
Re: Local plod gets tough! - Martin
R400 is about £1.20 sterling isn't it? ;-)
Local plod gets tough! - David Lacey
About £28.50 if my maths is correct?

David
Re: Local plod gets tough! - ian (cape town)
Ok, Ok! So our currency is on a par withy gumbo beads and cowrie shells...
So lets what R400 buys ...
40 packets of fags
or
at least 50 pints of beer
or
100 litres of fuel (REAL petrol, none of that unleaded rubbish!)
or
a brand-new 185/65/14 tyre.
(see I've got my priorities right!)
Re: Local plod gets tough! - dan
Nowt wrong with dodgy currencies. Except when l tried to buy something in an airport bar on the way out of england. Ran out of stirling, was told that they take anything so l pulled out a wad of Rand and got, "Except that....and rupees."

BTW Ian, l'm back in Cape Town april 2002 for a hockey tournament, perhaps l'll see you in the Fez or summink...

Please also see: Oh you're from London/Vaguely human you must know...

dan