Sluggish Vectra Diesel - helicopter
My Company Vecra 2 litre Diesel is an R reg and has only done around 17000 miles.

I had a problem with it being very sluggish a few months back , (see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=17875 for details) I asked the question on here and the MAF sensor was replaced which seemed to cure the problem although accelleration was never comparable with my own Civic.

Basically it has started the same problem again. The engine management light started flickering on and off for a minute or so after starting and then went out.

Yesterday the sluggishness returned and then on M23 the EML light came on and I was hard pressed to get 60mph. I got to my destination and when I got in to return home I switched on the ignition and the EML had cleared and the drive was better though still not right.

A possible factor is an electrical fault - I have noticed that the screen display for time , radio station name etc is not functioning correctly with gaps everywhere.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to likely causes before I go to the garage.
Sluggish Vectra Diesel - Number_Cruncher
If the light came on, there might be a fault stored. Having a look for obvious faults, and getting the fault codes read are obvious priority tasks.

number_cruncher

Sluggish Vectra Diesel - Dynamic Dave
A possible factor is an electrical fault - I have noticed
that the screen display for time , radio station name etc
is not functioning correctly with gaps everywhere.

The radio display fault probably isn't connected with your other problems. That has a fault all of it's own. Details here of how to fix:-

forum.vectra-sport.com/showthread.php?t=28

And here's how to get the dash off to gain access to the display:-

Goto homepage.ntlworld.com/cavweb/misc/ and scroll down the list until you find "veccyclo.doc". (It's almost at the bottom of the page). If you haven't got MS Word, it should still open with MS Wordpad.

Sluggish Vectra Diesel - jeta1
May i suggest some fuel injecter cleaner in the fuel tank and to drive the car at quite high revs for a good few miles . In my experience once a diesel engine is running it is un usual to have electrical problems. but then again i am no expert but i have owned diesel cars for some years now.good luck
Sluggish Vectra Diesel - Altea Ego
You did say R reg? 17000 miles? Its probably gummed up. Poor thing needs a really good clear out and lungs cleaning.

Get some injector cleaner in the tank. Get it nice and warm and take out and thrash it to within an inch of its life in the lower gears. Well ok not quite but close. Run it up through the gears close to the rev limiter in each gear. Finish with 5 miles at highish revs.
Not sure if Cyrill666's problem is the same as yours or not?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=10...7
The 'italian tune up ' has been tried, a very quick 80 mile belt or two up and down the M23 didn't help .Basically the problem is a reoccurrence of a previous one which I thought was cured by replacing the MAF sensor a couple of months ago and the old dear was running fine until this week so I don't think the gunge has got her.

I have stuck it into the local independent garage today to have the faults read and then we'll see. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Well three fault codes were found according to the local garage

One indicates air conditioning relay problem - however no A/C on the car

Second indicates glow plug problem - but the car starts first time every time so seems unlikely cause of sluggishness.

Third code indicates solenoid valve sensor so I've given the local garage the go ahead to change it. It is quite expensive but at least its company money. I just hope it cures the problem.
Sluggish Vectra Diesel - steveh67
Could be the air flow meter i had this prob just over 12mnths ago ..posted a thread on here ,but cant find it apparently its a common problem. Ste.
Could be the air flow meter i had this prob just
over 12mnths ago ..posted a thread on here ,but cant find
it apparently its a common problem. Ste.

Is this the one?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=77...6

or maybe this one???

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=16233
Looking through the linked threads this seems to be a very common problem with the DI Vectras and it does not give me confidence that replacing the solenoid valve sensor will cure the problem.

In the thread on the Vectra Engine Management Light Keith S referred to a company who gave up and sold on their one after spending £2000....

I don't think I will be spending that sort of money, even if it is company money.

Hi Helicopter,

Which solenoid valve is it? There are a few different ones. The exact fault codes would be helpful, i.e., the numbers, rather than the description.

number_cruncher
Not sure NC - Its actually in the local independent garage today to be sorted so I will wander over later to see what he says. The sensor itself was quoted as £ 112 plus fitting.

This is the problem - I have to rely on someone with a laptop to tell me what is wrong and there appears to be no guarantee that the EML indicated fault will cure the problem judging by the comments on previous threads.

I don't want to just keep lashing out money replacing sensors or valves ad infinitum on the basis that sooner or later the problem might be solved.
Quite, you have my full sympathy, I hate ceding control over fault diagnosis!

The reason I ask, is that I was hoping to have leaf through the checking procedures, wiring diagrams and so forth to see if there is anything the three fault codes have in common - do the components all use the same earth, etc, etc.

The thing with fault code diagnosis is *not* to simply replace the part that the code refers to - the fault can be external to that part. This is where so many garages go wrong at the moment. You should check and confirm the diagnosis rather than fiting parts that correspond to the fault light.

For example, a petrol car runs roughly, and has the light on, the code reads - lambda sensor. Here, 9 out of 10 are wrongly pricing up a lambda sensor! If you dig a bit more, you find it is the code corresponding to long term weak running. If you then look a bit further, you might find a air leak into the inlet manifold. You fix the leak, and hey presto!, fault cured! - no electronic parts fitted!

number_cruncher
Ok - The car is back and I have just paid a total bill of £193.88. Sensor £105, Fitting £20, Read Fault codes £40 + vat

I took it for a quick spin up the M23 and I'm not convinced.

Although the EML did not come on its still not responding IMO as a 2 litre turbo should.

I have the three fault codes which were 1635 - Glow device circuit, 1530 - Air condition relay voltage and 1125 - boost pressure solenoid valve.

This is the one the garage has replaced and he has said that if I bring it back in a week or so he will check the fault codes again and if no improvement is noticeable he will just refit the old sensor and credit the new one.

Anyone think of anything linking those three codes which might explain the problem ?
Hi Helicopter,

I've just been having a quick revision of the checking procedures, particularly for the boost pressure fault code.

The wider system is the boost is controlled by an actuator which is driven by vacuum. The solenoid regulates the vacuum level at the boost control actuator.

Faults in the vacuum circuit will prevent you getting full boost, and can also trigger this code. So, I think that checking that the vacuum pump is creating enough suck, and the hoses and vacuum connections are in good order would be a good check. A perforated diaphragm in the boost actuator is a further possibility.

I have heard that the vacuum pumps can end up being the culprit with these engines, but, as ever, check it out before shelling out for one!

I include the fault descriptions for the codes below.

I hope that helps you sort out the problem,

number_cruncher

P1125 Boost Pressure Solenoid Valve High Input

Short to voltage in circuit to control unit terminal 47

Effect:

Maximum performance will be reduced
EGR valve switched off
Boost pressure control is no longer possible

P1530 A/C Compressor Cutoff Relay Primary circuit Open

Short to earth or interruption in circuit to control unit terminal 28
Above condition must be fulfilled for at least 240 seconds (to register as fault)

P1635 Glow Device Circuit General Error

Glow Time Control check-sum error

Effect: Startability of cold engine is reduced with a defective glow time control

terminals 30 and 50

Sluggish Vectra Diesel - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I had a high mileage Vectra Diesel with similar loss of power problems recently. Checking the codes revealed an AMM fault and an EGR error. Ever the sceptic checking the serial live data showed nothing much amiss from the AMM but there was definitely little or no boost from the turbo. Physical checking showed the turbo was free to spin up but I noticed the actuator rod on the turbo was not moving much as you opened the throttle. Checking the vacuum to the diaphragm showed only a couple of inches of mercury but the vacuum available at the pump was 25" plus. Checking all the connections and devices on the vac circuit revealed the inlet manifold changeover switch had failed, bleeding the vacuum off. Blanking the pipe to it restored full boost. Fitted a new changeover switch (" never sold one of those sir") and cleared the codes to finish the job.
Sweet
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Sluggish Vectra Diesel - DL
These older Vx diesels seem to be giving a bit of trouble nowadays - perhaps one to avoid, perhaps?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....