Computer related questions. Volume 31 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 32 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26859

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 31. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

iPAQ 6340 - (continued from vol.30) - Mark (RLBS)
=================================================================
{this is a continuation from a question asked by Mark in Volume 30. see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26339&...e
for details of the original question posed. DD}

=================================================================

The issue is that it does nto detect the dial-up service from a mobile phone. Whether or not it has its own phone switched on, its own SIM card installed or anything else.

> sorry for being a moron.

You shouldn't apologise over something like that, the other moderators never do.
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
LOL.

Ok - when all else fails, revert to asking stupid questions.

1. Is there actually a dial up service to detect from the mobile phone? I would have thought the phone just dials the number it is told to.

2. Are you absolutely sure you can do what you are suggesting? Maybe the boys down at HP think that because you can use the IPAQ as a phone, there is no need to connect to another one to make calls.

3. Possibly the most stupid question. What are he benefits of doing what you are suggesting? If it's a case of not racking up a bill on the IPAQ provider, wouldn't it be easier to use the other phone as a...um..phone?

Incidentally, I'd be exactly the same - if there's a problem, I want to solve it whether it's beneficial or not.
--
Adam
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
Oh Adam, [sigh]
1. Is there actually a dial up service to detect from the mobile phone? I would have thought the phone just dials the number it is told to.

"Using the older iPAQ and discovering the phone, I am offered the following services;

COM 1
Dial-up Networking

Using the newer iPAQ and following the same process I am only offered;

COM 1"
2. Are you absolutely sure you can do what you are suggesting?

"That is clearly my issue. But am I doing something wrong or is the iPAQ not able to do this ?"
3. Possibly the most stupid question. What are he benefits of

doing what you are suggesting?

Complex. But essentially it depends on which country and I am communicating to, which country I am communicating from, which service I am using, which services I want available, where I am likely to be called from and much more.

>>If it's a case of not racking up a bill on the IPAQ provider,

Lets assume that I'm not worried about the bill.

Mark.
iPAQ 6340 - Altea Ego
Well I thought, lets treat this as a bit of education I thought, lets go to the HP Web site, find the solution and chastise mark for not RTFM.

What a jaw dropping experience!

Download manual for 6340 - clear off, we dont have any
Download drivers and updates - clear off, never heard of any.
Peruse the FAQ for 6340. oke here is 4 - What? you only have 4 FAQ for this!

Do these guys even admit they made this thing?
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
>>Do these guys even admit they made this thing?

It has only been available for 2 weeks.
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
Well, I'd be tempted to say that you are not able to do that - if you're not getting dial up networking, I can't think of another way of doing it.

That being said, I think we have firmly established that I don't have the faintest idea what I'm on about so it's probably best you don't take my word for it.

Afterwards, I will be seeing a mate who is considerably better at this kind of thing than me. (I've tried ringing him but it's switched off) If you can wait till tomorrow, I shall report back with what they say.

I'm sorry for wasting your time but it's good for moderator/poster relations...;-)

>>Oh Adam, [sigh]<<

That's odd - my Mum says that every single day...
--
Adam
iPAQ 6340 - PhilW
"I don't have the faintest idea what I'm on about"

Adam, you've more idea than me - I don't even know what an iPAQ is, let alone what on earth Mark is asking about!!
Why do I read these threads........(no answer required!!!)
iPAQ 6340 - frostbite
" I don't even know what an iPAQ is"

Don't you get those in A&E?
iPAQ 6340 - Altea Ego
"I don't have the faintest idea what I'm on about"

Yes but you have to admit he is very very good at it.,

( sorry Adam TIC as always ;) )
iPAQ 6340 - No Do$h
Is this the all singing, all dancing 6340 you had ordered in February and urged me to order? Hmmmmm....

Must say the iPAQ support site experience described by RF appears unchanged from my experience viz a vis the 3900 series.
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
RF, RF, RF....just where would we be without your legendary wit...or half of it at least;-)

I asked my so called Techie mate who had no idea whatsoever. Typical.

Incidently, I'm getting rid of mine Mark - you can have it if you want

:-)
--
Adam
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
>>Is this the all singing, all dancing 6340 you had ordered in February and urged me to order?

No, its not. And had you been paying attention both then and now, you would have known that.
PayPal - An Odd One - smokie
I am usually pretty knowledgeable about scams and tricks. So when I got a call from PayPal yesterday I was cautious.

I had paid for an eBay purchase using my PayPal account, and the goods have turned up. Fine so far.

Yesterday I get a call from a chap saying he's from PayPal, carrying out quality checks - had I actually carried out the transaction, and did it go smoothly? He knew my name, and my home phone number.

I was guarded at first, but he explained that he wasn't asking me any account details, so I confirmed the transaction. And that was it.

Is there some cunning scam going on that I'm not aware of, or have I happened upon one of the few remaining companies that actually *cares* about customer service?

I know, with the benefit hindsight, that I should have done this, that or the other. I'm really just interested in whether I need to warn my credit card company...

PayPal - An Odd One - Hugo {P}
Smokie

That sounds a little odd to me, It may be worth contacting your credit card co, e bay and Paypal (different companies).

Let us know how you get on, it may be worth posting a warning here somewhere.

Hugo
XP & older software - volvoman
A simple question with, hopefully, a simple answer.

My PC is about 18 months old and runs on Windows XP. I've just found a forgotten and unopened copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements lurking in the dark recesses of my home office. The software (v 1.0?) must have been bought a few years ago and says it'll run on everything from W98 to W2000. Will it run on XP OK with no 'tweaking' or fiddling about ?

Many Thanks geeks :)
XP & older software - Adam {P}
It *should* do. Of all the old software I have, all that state will run on 2000 work ok on XP. (Both NT) Of course, the only way of finding out if giving it a whirl.

--
Adam
XP & older software - Stuartli
It should run, hopefully without any problems, but if there are then try XP's Program Compatibility Wizard found from Start>Programs>Accessories>PCWizard.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
PS

I've still got quite a few "older" programs and utilities on my XP Pro system and they all run OK.
Thanks both - I'll pluck up courage and give it a try. I should add that the reason for my concern is that in years gone by my experience of loading new software via W3.1-W98 was punctuated with lock-ups, crashes, warnings/alerts, questions I wasn't able to answer and configuration options I didn't understand. Thus far my limited experience of XP has been much better but I'm still touching wood. :)

BTW - If it all goes pear shaped do I just uninstall it?

Virtual pints are on their way to your desktops as we speak :)
Hi VM,

I should say that I don't run XP anymore but Mum's laptop has it on and that involves me fiddling around blindly trying to get it working again.I put all sorts of rubbish on - some a lot older than what you wish to try and they work. If it did crash (which I can't see happening), then uninstalling it should work. I would be surprised if something as minor as that did cause it to crash but you know Microsoft! Admittedly, although not the greatest fan of XP, the crashes generally only occured when I did something that the normal user wouldn't. My sister has been running it since it came out and hasn't had any problems - and that's on a PC that was bought when 98 came out!

I like the idea of this pint - any more problems??? :-)
--
Adam
Thanks Adski - I'll let you know if I have any problems. I'm not likely to do anything the average user wouldn't (intentionally, that is) but just in case, you don't happen to operate a free 24/7 tech support hotline do you by any chance? :)

There'd be a virtual tab behind the virtual bar for you and your mates if you did :)
Why certainly VM. It's not exactly free as such but how could you turn down £56.39 a month for unlimited peace of mind?
--
Adam
I've been using XP Pro + SP1 (and SP2 since it came out) for about 13 months and it's the most stable version of Windows I've ever used - gone are the days of constant updating, tweaking and patching of 98SE...:-)
Modem woes - BazzaBear {P}
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for this:

I just got a 2nd hand computer for my dad, as his old one is ancient, but I can't get the thing to connect to the internet.

It's not an ISP problem - it isn't even finding a dial tone.

There were 2 modems in it when I bought it for some reason, I've tried both of them, and removed them both and tried one out of my computer, still no dial tone.
I've checked the phone line, and there's definitely a dial tone, I've connected the modem to a different phone line which definitely has a dial tone, no dial tone.

Any ideas please? It's sending me round the bend.
Modem woes - Adam {P}
Have you checked in Device Manager to see if at least one of them is actually installed?
--
Adam
Modem woes - Stuartli
Have you discovered which particular modem models they are and installed the drivers?

If there is an FCC number listed this can be used on the FCC website to find out exactly what make and the modem's model number.
All three have installed automatically under XP when inserted and the computer turned on.
They're shown as working with no conflicts in device manager, and in diagnostics querying the modem works fine.
Modem woes - Stuartli
You will be best only having one of the modems - the most recent - installed.

Suitable drivers can be found at the manufacturer's website, www.modem-help.co.uk or www.driversguide.com (Username is driver2 and password all) once you know the modems' identities.
You will be best only having one of the modems -
the most recent - installed.

I've tried removing and uninstalling all but one, still no luck.

I'm less than convinced that a lack of dial tone is down to a driver problem, since aside from this the modems, from the computers point of view, seem to be working perfectly.

Having tried 3 different ones I think it's down to a problem or an incorrect setting on the computer itself, but I have no idea what that could be.
Modem woes - Adam {P}
Just out of interest, what do you see with regards to the connection settings?
--
Adam
What do you mean?
Which bits?
Modem woes - Adam {P}
Let's say IE for argument's sake. TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS the Connections tab. Which modem is set up to dial. Forget the no dial tone for the minute.
--
Adam
I've tried it with all three of the different modems set to dial, I've even removed the modems I wasn't suing to make sure of no conflict.
Modem woes - Adam {P}
Please forgive me for asking such a ridiculous question but are you plugging the lead into the LINE port on the modem as opposed to PHONE? It's easily done but feel free to ignore me if I'm wrong!
--
Adam
Modem woes - carl_a
Does the cable you are using have four connections on the plug or two, some modems don't like cables with four connection.
Modem woes - Adam {P}
Ahhh - how about how many phones have you got plugged into the house at once?

You say you've tried a phone in that socket but then the computer isn't plugged in. I think the number of phones you can have plugged in at any one time is 4.

(By phones - anything to do with the line usually has a REN (Ringer Equivalent Number) of 1.
--
Adam
Modem woes - Adam {P}
Shoudl say - I don't know if that applies to dial up or just ADSL lines but it's worth a shot.
--
Adam
It is a dial up modem, and you're not far wrong with the 'line or phone' question, I did have a monent of doubt, but I tried both to be on the safe side, so no luck there either.

I will be trying the cable suggestion. I don't know for sure what type I've been trying all along, but I do have a 2 pin cable in my possession, so I'll take that down with me on my next try, and give it a whirl.
Ahhh - how about how many phones have you got plugged
into the house at once?
You say you've tried a phone in that socket but then
the computer isn't plugged in. I think the number of phones
you can have plugged in at any one time is 4.
(By phones - anything to do with the line usually has
a REN (Ringer Equivalent Number) of 1.
--
Adam

My parents have 2 phone lines, the one I have usually been trying only has the modem and a fax on it, but I have also tried it on the other with no joy.
Gotcha!

It was the cable. I was using the modem cable from dad's old computer, which was perfectly happy with it: a 4-pin cable.
I just brought a spare 2-pin cable down from home, and it's worked a charm, at least with the modem I also scavenged from my own computer earlier.
The modems that came with this computer still don't want to know, but I've got it up and running, and I really couldn't care less about them!
Thanks for the help people.
Modem woes - Dalglish
Any ideas please? It's sending me round the bend.

>>

bazza -

you do not give specifics of the modems, but in addition to the below items, try the "duff" modems in your working computer to see if they work and note the settings. other suggestions are :

1. try google-groups search for xp modem problems and include modem model in your search query. also search microsoft technet knowledge base.

2. look at
www.usr.com/support/756/756-ug/five.html
www.windowsxp-drivers.com/category/10.htm
www.modemsite.com/56k/xpdevmgr.asp
www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpmdmch.htm
www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpmdcon.htm

3. someone who had a similar problem to yours posted this on a forum:
Things I tried that didn't help:
- new drivers
- uninstalling/reinstalling COM ports and modem
- restoring XP
- reinstalling XP
- removing the network card
- swaping the modem to other PCI slots
- playing around with the BIOS
- getting mad and swearing

What did work:

I got it working with a number of changes, but I think it is due to one.

what I did was this:
- Moved the modem to yet another PCI slot (Slot 3 I think): don't think this solved it tho
- Removed the network card: don't think this had much to do with it.
- Used a windows 98 boot disk and Windows 98 CD to get it to begin formatting the hard drive. When it was a few percent complete, I took out the disk and Cd and restarted with Windows XP Cd in drive. XP then didn't recognise the format of the harddrive and it then did a "fresh" install of XP (rather than the overwriting one it does or the restore function) - MODEM WORKS!!!!
The internet connection wizard now uses COM3 instead of trying to use COM1!!! COM3 still doesn't show up under the "Port" in the device manager, so I assume this is normal since it is a virtual port.

good luck. let us know what solves the problem for you.

Internet phones - Jim M
Good afternoon
I am at present offshore Bahrain, we are using an satellite system for comms - this is normal the difference with this operation is that the phones are accross the internet (my desk phone is a Cisco IP phone).
I must say the quality of the line is excellent, this has caused me to search for domestic systems and I have downloaded Skype.
Call charges are very cheap and free if you stay within the Skype system.
My question is where do I get the hardware? Is it easy to install? We have a phobia at home about leaving our computer switched on, we have broadband on a dedicated phone line, will I have to leave computer on or can I just connect a base station to the computer dedicated phone line?
Even to this technophobe Oilman this looks like the future of voice communications.
Thanks for any advice.
As a "lurker" I always read this forum, it keeps me sane thanks all.
Best Regards
Jim M
Internet phones - Mark (RLBS)
I use skype. What hardware do you think you need ?
Internet phones - Jim M
Hi Mark
A handset to carry with me (USB connection) and a base station / handset for home.
Internet phones - Mark (RLBS)
Get a USB Bluetooth Dongle and then use it to bluetooth enable whatever computer you are using and then connect with whatever bluetooth headset you choose. Answering calls is fine, although you have to return to the computer to dial.

On the other hand, since I have a wireless LAN in the house, I use the iPAQ and bluetooth headset.

Presumably you have read this page ? www.skype.com/products/

You shouldn't worry about leaving your computer on provided you have an appropriate firewall installed.

The quality of skype is fine; we use it for calls to & from South America. You can call to another phone, rather than a computer, if you wish; but that does up the cost somewhat. (i.e. something rather than nothing).

Internet phones - Baskerville
I've been using Skype for a couple of months now with just a pair of speakers and a microphone and it's fine. You can buy a high quality headset with headphones and mic for under fifty quid, and a perfectly reasonable one for a little over ten, which is my plan when I get round to it. Skype sells a conventional-looking phone that plugs into a usb socket. You will have to leave the computer connected, but if you have a decent firewall (preferably a separate hardware firewall) I see no problem with that. You're right, it is the future (works with dial-up too, though with lower sound quality).
Home PC backup strategy - borasport20
home pc - windows 98se, 2 x 40 meg hard drives

what is the best backup strategy and software to use ?

previously i've used one disk as a live drive, and used ghost to copy to the other drive - you'll understand I was not best chuffed over the weekend when the pc blue-screened whilst ghosting, taking the live disk down and an unusable part-image on the other !

Home PC backup strategy - Altea Ego
Well

I have always in the past used Ghost, but to a cd. Using the standalone floppy method, ghost an image on to CD (spanned if required). That way you always have a standalone bootable method of recreating a new disk.
Home PC backup strategy - Stuartli
I use both - a partition and a CD-R.

Try Partition Magic. If that can't /readcure your hard drives than you may have a corrupted partition.
PS

Re the partition and CD-R - I mean using Ghost.
Home PC backup strategy - smokie
A reasonably full 40Gb drive will take quite a few CDs each time though, as a backup strategy.

I always Ghost the lot once, straight after installing the OS and all patches, and any software I know I need.

Then I make sure I can access any software I download or buy later to reload in the event of catastrophe.

I carry out a daily backup (disk to disk) of my volatile files (My Documents, photos, mail files) and any settings I can get at easily.

And once a week the daily backup is backed up to another computer (maybe in your case to a rewriteable CD, not overwriting the previous week's).

My music, which is over 30Gb, had a base backup done to DVD about 4 months ago. Then I occassionally remind myself to do an incremental backup to get that later stuff. Sometime I might do the lot again in one go.

Home PC backup strategy - Dalglish
.. windows 98se .... pc blue-screened ...

>>

odds on that : windows 98se = pc blue-screen

suggestion - cure the problem rather than the symptoms, i.e. change over to xp sp2 and/or the other alternatives favoured by the anti-microsoft gang.

Home PC backup strategy - carl_a
Well if the Windows XP, NT or 2000 screwed up a windows installation (had two laptops with this last week) it would take far longer to restore it than it would Windows 9X. If a driver gets messed up on XP the operating system doesn't load or blue screens, with 9X it just doesn't allocate the device and loads ok. Change the chipset brand on XP and the operating system doesn't load, 9X it does. Load on the updates of XP and then try to use the XP cd to restore it when it goes wrong and it doesn't work.

XP may be better at a few things but its worse at many others.
Home PC backup strategy - Baskerville
> by the anti-microsoft gang.

What a lot of bitterness I'm sensing.

It's good to be able to choose the right tool for the job rather than be lumbered with something less effective, more wasteful of computing resources, and more expensive, just because "the nice man in PC World said I need a new computer." That's what free markets are all about, right? That tool may actually be Win98 in this case because a PC built in that era may not handle XP's bloat in a nice way--incidentally it may also struggle with a default install of some of the more consumer-oriented Linux distros like Mandrake, though I suspect less so. Anyway an unbundled legal copy of XP is unlikely to be sensible from an economic point of view.
legal copy of XP is unlikely to be sensible from an economic
point of view

>>

depends on assumptions about
1. cost of a legal copy - quite reasonable from legit sources as most people who buy microsoft software should already know .
2. how much you value/cost the time spent on putting right the failed disks.
3. how much you value/cost the data lost permanently.

no compulsion to take up my suggestion - it is offered only as a possible solution to the problem raised in the question.

still a free country and free market. without the competition from linux, ms would be selling us the equivalent of trabant cars.

i do prefer mild to bitter when i cash in on the virtual pints that i have been banking on crq thread volumes.

>1. cost of a legal copy - quite reasonable from legit sources as most people who buy microsoft software should already know .

Dabs.com (not the cheapest, but not unreasonable:

Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
£164.50 inc VAT (£140.00 ex VAT). Operating system only.

Mandrake Linux:

Mandrake Linux 10.1 Powerpack (equivalent to XP Pro) 79.90 Euro inc VAT. Includes MS and Adobe compatible office suite(s), email client(s), multimedia and graphics software, the full range of networking/server software, you name it.

Quite reasonable my a***

Home PC backup strategy - No Do$h
Quite reasonable my a***

Fair point, well made
No Do$h - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
>> Quite reasonable my a***

Fair point, well made

>>

it would be if the facts were right.

he he he.
(tic on) :: ;-) :: the price quoted is that charged for non-believers who wish to convert to the majority religion; perhaps as a deterrent to keep the poor enemy from entering the inner sanctum of the knowledge. :: :-0 :: (tic off)

however, for existing believers wishing to upgrade, you can get the xp-home for under £70 and for anyone with an "education" entitlement, even cheaper deals are possible.

calm down dears, it is only a computer question. after all, you pays your money and takes your choice.

>
(tic on) :: ;-) :: the price quoted is
that charged for non-believers who wish to convert to the majority
religion; perhaps as a deterrent to keep the poor enemy from
entering the inner sanctum of the knowledge. :: :-0
:: (tic off)

Ah, I see now. It's a tithe. Glad I'm a nonconformist. ;-)
Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
£164.50 inc VAT (£140.00 ex VAT). Operating system only.

ebuyer.com
Windows Xp Home SP2 OEM £61.16 inc VAT

You have to order hardware at the same time (a mouse only costs £1.05)
>ebuyer.com
>Windows Xp Home SP2 OEM £61.16 inc VAT

You do realise the basic "Home" version of Mandrake 10.1 is available from Mandrake as a free download, don't you? There's no catch either. All it lacks is the online support and a few peripheral proprietary software packages. Still unreasonable.
You can get many versions of Linux free. I'm no great fan of Microsoft, many companies have made better operating systems but linux isn't one of them for the desktop user. It great as a server and for techies but not for the consumers as a gereral purpose operating system.
Companies that have tried to make linux into a mainsteam desktop operating system have not done well, Corel linux which many said was going to take over the world flopped and Lindows (now Linspire) is going the same way.
>Corel linux which many said was going to take over the world flopped

On the contrary it's now called Xandros and seems to be thriving:

www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,117963,00.asp
On the contrary it's now called Xandros and seems to be
thriving:
www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,117963,00.asp

Xandros isn't Corel linux as they have gone out of the market (as I said it flopped), its a distribution based on Corel linux just like Mandrake used to be based on Red Hat, Xandros also supply technology to Lindows.
Home PC backup strategy - Dynamic Dave

Politely reminding people that this is a question and answer thread, rather than discussion.

Cheers, DD.
As I recall both Xandros and Lindows licensed Corel Linux for $$$ when Corel ditched it in 2001/2. Xandros took on Corel's Linux developers--not at all like Red Hat/Mandrake--and Lindows actually sued Xandros to use their technology early on; all three are based on Debian... I remember this because I wrote some pieces on desktop computing for a history book around that time.

Sorry--my last word.
As someone whose used computers in some form or another for virtually a quarter of a century and been through the Windows 3, 95, 98, 98SE and now XP Pro for the last 14 months (plus SP2 from virtually the day it was available), I've found it to be the most stable, troublefree OS to date.

In fact, in that time, I've used System Restore just once...:-)

Incidentally my home computer system basically comprises a 550MHz PentiumIII (Katmai) which replaced a Celeron 400MHz about three months ago, a five-year-old Elite P6BXT-A+ motherboard and the original Award Bios, plus a 60GB Western Digital HDD (upgraded about once a year to a high capacity).

Even the still superb Canon BJC600e printer is an eight-year-old model.

Hardly rocket science equipment but it runs XP without any drama...:-)

Bit like a Skoda Estelle - you might not have the same pace or comfort compared to, say, a VW Golf, but both get you from A to B in the end.
Yup, XP is good in many ways (pricey, but good). I use it myself when I have need to run a dodgy Active-X script. But there is no way it would run adequately enough on the machine my wife uses to write her books. That came (from a skip) with Win98 installed two years ago and is a 266Mhz Pentium with a 2GB hard disk--must be circa 1997/8 I think. Would XP even fit on 2GB. Xandros Linux does. That's why I advised caution when upgrading.
Home PC backup strategy - Phil I
If on Dial up this months Linux Format magazine has 3 cd of Mandrake 10.1 as cover disc. Price £5.99. Buy and enjoy.

Happy Surfing Phil I (using 1998 Compaq Pro workstation 5100 dual processor )
I can't comment on the software, because I don't know, but the best backup strategy is to have at least three copies of what you need: the copy you use, a weekly backup, and a daily (or whenever there are changes) backup. They should be kept on separate media, preferably in different places, for obvious reasons, and the last daily backup should be checked to make sure it's good before you overwrite the last weekly. Ideally you wouldn't do that too often. Now copying the whole system every day is hardly an efficient option, so I choose to copy only my "in use" personal files on a daily basis. So my routine is this:

1. Everything I change I save in two places at the time I change it.

2. I back up all my user files--documents, pictures etc weekly to CD.

3. I back up the system (/home anyway) less often, but then with Linux and other Unix-alikes if you need or want to reinstall the OS your settings, files etc. can be preserved. The lack of a registry makes this much easier.

As of this week I'm lucky enough to have access to a remote FTP Server, which is where I save everything "on the fly".
Home PC backup strategy - borasport20
thanks for the comments chaps - I'm still not certain what i'll be doing, other than continuing to burn copies of all valuable files to CD at regular intervals
(that's the voice of 20 yrs experience of pc's - and i've still to find a backup strategy that works for me !)

Transfering Files from one pc to another - Dave Andrews
i have brought a new laptop computer and wish to transfer files from my home pc. i have a netowrk cross over cable - just need to know how i transfer files and setup the network. both machines running xp home edition.

many thanks

dave
Transfering Files from one pc to another - Stuartli
XP has its own Files and Transfer Wizard - full guidance in Help and Support.
What's for you won't pass you by
Digicamera problems - Dwight Van Driver
Can anyone make sense of this and guide me on the right track?

Following a tickle on the flying pointed finger last week I bought a Kodak DX 4530 digital camera.

With NAV/Zone Alarm off, put the Easyware disc in to download so that I can view pixs on PC etc. Set up wizard came up and did the business leading to a message "has been successfully installed"

Wham then up comes " Unknown device - Windows (ME) installing the software for your new device." and machine wirrs away and stops. No message that this has been installed or not. I wait fifteeen minutes, nothing.

I click on the Kodak short cut and message appears "Initialisation of C:\programFiles\Kodak\KodakEasyware Software\Catalog\Easyshare.me failed. Application cannot run."

Whilst not on line Zone alarm activates a marker = backWeb 7288971.exe trying to act as server. (This is apparently a bit of spyware put on by Kodak as an updater).

I did a full AV/Spy/Adware check prior to install and after and clean as a whistle.

Cannot get any leads from Kodak support site. E mail off to them so until they reply, if they ever do, why cannot I get my machine to accept the camera and open the Kodak programme. Please bear in mind any complicated solution may well be beyond me due to advancing years unless explained in minute detail.

DVD
Digicamera problems - Dalglish
dvd -
kodak dx4530
try a google-web and google-groups search for "Initialization Kodak Easyshare failed".
will bring up some threads which may help. i have not read through the threads so don't know if they will help solve your problem.

Digicamera problems - Welliesorter
I have an older Kodak camera, which I use under Windows XP and Mandrake Linux so not exactly the same situation.

I wonder if the drivers have installed but not the rest of the software. If they have, it doesn't matter too much.

Once you've installed the drivers for the camera you don't really need any other Kodak software. Using the Easyshare stuff is optional. If you choose not to use it, Windows just sees the camera as an extra disk drive whose contents you can browse in My Computer or Windows Explorer. You can just drag the photos from the camera to a folder on your PC.

Irfanview (from irfanview.com) will do much that the Kodak software will do (such as lightening, cropping and rotating pictures).

If you're looking for a nice freebie for cataloguing your photos, try Photoshop Album Starter Edition from www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html .
Digicamera problems - Altea Ego
Dear DVD.

When are you going to do as you are told and GET RID OF Windows ME!!!!!!

Its a horrible hybrid, fraught with bugs, and features, never properly supported or fixed by MS and left to die a horrible death...
Digicamera problems - Dwight Van Driver
Thanks all and Dalglish.

Read up on what you say D seems there are/have been a number with the same problem but no solution mentioned.

Had a reply from Kodak with instructions that were as much use at the Software so back to them. Guess I should be grateful that they replied.

DVD
Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - L'escargot
I've just been clumsy and spilled (spilt?) coffee on my computer keyboard. What is the best way to clean it? (Didn't have the problem before I retired ~ two "computer fairies" came during the night to clean my computer at work!)
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - Citroënian {P}
I'd just get another. They're less than a tenner these days - I use a very fancy Microsoft natural keyboard with lots of extra exciting buttons on it and that only cost me £17.

In fact, if you're near West Yorkshire, I've got a couple of spares in a cupboard you can have.

--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - frostbite
Assuming you mean surface cleaning, when this happened to me I soaked a sponge in a washing up liquid solution and held the keyboard upside down to clean the keys.
Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - Welliesorter
If you do splash out (ho ho) on a new one, look for one that's spill-resistant. Many are now.
Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - Altea Ego
Yup chuck it out. Its probably full of crisp crumbs as well.

Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - borasport20
If you really wanted to, you could take all the keys off and try cleaning it out, but it's unlikely you'll shift all the muck, and unlikely squared if there was sugar in the coffee !

a quick 'scan' of www.scan.co.uk/

shows several under a tenner, including the budget model at £2.93 including vat !

Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - Robin Reliant
a quick 'scan' of www.scan.co.uk/
shows several under a tenner, including the budget model at £2.93
including vat !

>>

If that sounds too good to be true, then it's because it is!

Fooled me for a while too, but it is actually a converter cable for connecting a mouse and a keyboard into one USB port.
Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - Robin Reliant
Groans with embarrasment!

Then I looked further down the chart, and-ahem-sorry, Borasport.
Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - Mark (RLBS)
How d'you work that out ?
Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - borasport20
How d'you work that out ?

Mark
ah, the joys of communication

how did WHO work WHAT out ?

me - i'm just curious how much of a keyboard you get for £2.93

Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - Mark (RLBS)
I couldn't figure out how Tom had decided it wasn't a keyboard, because it seemed it was. Seems Tom had a dodgy moment and it really was a keyboard.
Well its fooled me, I would say its a keyboard

www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProduct...0
I picked one up at the computer fair two weeks back for £3.

How do they make a profit at that price!
Not baby on board ~ coffee on keyboard! - Stuartli
Asda is currently advertising a keyboard at under £5 - a rebranded Trust model.

Morgan Computers used to advertise a pack of 10 keyboards for £10 plus VAT.

That's £1.18 per keyboard. Now you know why they are so cheap at computer fairs etc.
DV cable for camcorder - maz64
Hi all

I've just bought a cheap-ish Panasonic miniDV camcorder, and I want to transfer video from its tapes onto my PC. Having found that the USB connection can only be used for stills, I guess I need the optional DV cable. But:

1. is there such a thing as a 'standard' cable? Presumably the PC connection will be standard, but I suspect the camcorder end won't be, in which case I'll have to pay £30 for the Panasonic cable.

2. is DV the same as Firewire?

Cheers
John
DV cable for camcorder - Altea Ego
There are three ways of transfering video from a camera (or video deck) depending on how your camera and PC is equiped.

1/ USB - Wasnt all that common due to low USB speeds but now USB2 is around its becoming used. Obviously camera needs to have a USB or USB2 port. (as does your PC)

2/1394 Firewire. Obviously you need the camera equiped with a firewire port as well as the PC - USB2 is now as fast as firewire.

3/ VIVO. If you have a highend video card or digital capture card you may have a VIVO port. These vary from card to card but is typically a small 9pin round socket on the card, with an interface cable that breaks out into S video in/out and Composite video RCA plugs in/out.

You will need of course a programe to stitch the sound and video together (the sound goes in through your sound card) Windows XP comes with movie maker to do this.

DV cable for camcorder - Stuartli
Just a small point. Sony labels Firewire as iLink. It also has two versions - four and six pin, the latter being powered.
DV cable for camcorder - BazzaBear {P}
I'd recommend havign a look on ebay - I got a data cable for my phone, which Siemens wanted £30 for, for £2.50 on there.