Computer related questions. Volume 32 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 33 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27266

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 32. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Passwords - budu
With Windows 98, I can assign passwords to individual files in Word or Excel but not to whole folders. Is there a way to lock folders please?
Passwords - frostbite
I don't believe there is anything in W98 to do this, but I'm sure I have seen several freeware/shareware programs that will lock folders.

Do a google search or search in Tucows/Zdnet etc..
Passwords - Oz
There is a utility called Folder Guard to do just this job. This was a product of 'Winability' although unlike in the past, I couldn't get any response from www.winability.com.
However if you search "folder guard" under Google it should find where it's gone.
Oz (as was)
Re-installing Windows XP Pro - Oz
Recently my PC has started running XP as if trudging through setting concrete - OK, it has a 2 Gb Athlone processor so it's not bad, but it's far, far slower at loading and running applications than it should be and it it used to be.
I've defragmented, cleaned up, etc. etc. but to no avail.
I suspect a file or files in the operating system may have been corrupted. So my question is:
Can I re-install Windows XP Pro without upsetting data files?

Oz (as was)
Re-installing Windows XP Pro - Stuartli
If you have your XP CD-ROM use it to start a new setup installation of the OS. Ignore the Recovery Console section after setup has run initially and continue to Install.

Windows will then eventually detect that a version of XP is already installed and ask if you wish to Repair? Agree.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Re-installing Windows XP Pro - smokie
Use Ctrl/Alt/Delete to look at Processes and make sure nothing is hogging the CPU. You can also have a look under the Performance tab for graphocal info on CPU and Page File usage. (It's nice to work out what's causing the problem before attempting a repair).

There is a more sophisticated performance monitor in Administrative Toolsd in the Control Panel.

Alternatively try what Stuart said...
Re-installing Windows XP Pro - defender
have you installed xp service pack 2,or have you returned your computer to a point in time where it was working ok,I would think either of these actions would help you.
Mozilla's Update. - Pugugly {P}
Mozilla has been updated. You know it makes sense.
Mozilla's Update. - Stuartli
Just started using Firefox - so far I'm impressed.
Mozilla's Update. - smokie
I find some functions on some sites do not work with Firefox - e.g. occasionally links do not appear as links. But I really like some of the features - tabbed browsing is my favourite.

But a question. I have an HP print server which has a Java interface managed through your browser. It's never been *that* good, even in IE. But in Firefox the Java applets never appear - always staying as coffee cup placeholders. It works OK in IE. Any ideas?
Mozilla's Update. - John R @ home {P}
"But in Firefox the Java applets never appear - always staying as coffee cup placeholders. It works OK in IE. Any ideas?"

No guarentees... but try

www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

this should check to see what version of Java (if any)you have installed on your PC and suggest you download and install it if required.

Please note that any one upgrading Firefox from Ver 1 (pre release) to Ver 1 (release) is that loads of your extentions won't work, I hope the good people that write them update them soon as I'm lost without Google bar etc...

Regards,

John R @ Home
The latest version of Firefox I've installed includes the Google address bar.

So far I haven't come across a website that Firefox has failed to display in the same way as IE, apart from one.

In this case, although I had Micromedia Flash installed, it came up with a panel to download a new version. The site then worked as intended.

The version of Java I have currently installed is 1.4.2_06 - you also have to enable its use with Firefox from the Java control panel (open it from Start>Settings>Control Panel).
Mozilla's Update. - Pugugly {P}
I had the link problem with thr pre-release, less so with the new version. Far quicker on this site than IE6 and the BT/Yahoo thingy.
Just downloaded Java 2. WIll let you know results.
I've just discovered that TinyURL doesn't paste the new URL to the clipboard, presumably because it's not using a Windows program.

It will scale down the URL and this then has to be copied and pasted in order to use it.
Firefox. - buzbee
"Just started using Firefox - so far I'm impressed."

Busbee (me) installed it yesterday -- version 0.8 using a freebee CD that came with a mag.
I am leaving the latest 0.9 version download until I am on broadband -- next few days.

So far I have found three shortcomings with the 0.8 install on a Win98SE PC:
1) the OE6 address book import only partially worked. .It has probably obtained all the IE6 email addresses but has put all of them into one folder! .The other 10 folders were empty.
2) There seems to be no simple way to sort these imported addresses into the required folders, other than writing each one in individually. .With IE6 you can click them across from one list to another.
3) A previous post mentioned looking at web pages using Mozilla Firefox. .Is it supposed to include a web browser? Mine does not. .Is that something I should have? .Or is the browser only in the later version?

Firefox. - frostbite
Something seriously missing there. Best reinstall it (yes, it is a browser) or better still download v1.0 from the site.
Firefox. - Baskerville
Firefox 0.8 is not the finished article, so you can expect some problems--it dates back to about May I think. Download 1.0 from the site and start again. It's only four megs or so, so it won't take forever, even on dialup. But this comment has me wondering:

>3) A previous post mentioned looking at web pages using Mozilla Firefox. .Is it supposed to include a web browser? Mine does not. .Is that something I should have? .Or is the browser only in the later version?

Are you actually using Firefox or the mail client Thunderbird? The two things are separate apps and Thunderbird is still unfinished, Beta software.
Firefox. - frostbite
I would also suggest that, of the two d'loads offered, you choose the exe file rather than zip - it's a lot easier to install.
>>Please note that any one upgrading Firefox from Ver 1 (pre release) to Ver 1 (release) is that loads of your extentions won't work, I hope the good people that write them update them soon as I'm lost without Google bar etc...>>

This link will help you sort it out:

www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=973
Mozilla's Update. - Baskerville
In the case of your print server, could it be that the Java app is actually not a Java app that works universally as it should, but a Microsoft-specific Java app, or even Active-X? This has been a major point of conflict in MS's largely successful attempts to close out Sun, which owns Java. Anyway if you do come across a site that doesn't work properly with Firefox, please email the webmaster and say so, because it's unlikely that Firefox is at fault. More likely the site wasn't written and tested properly with browsers other than IE, which is somewhat akin to designing a motorway that's only compatible with cars made by Ford, and just as dumb.

As for features, have you checked out the "live bookmarks" (RSS) feature yet? Go to the BBC News page, for example (there are loads of other news sites that do it too), and you'll see a little red icon down in the bottom right of the Firefox window. Click on that and subscribe to the service. Then add the bookmark to the toolbar. It's really excellent.
Firefox is only 4.5MB and doesn't take long to download even on dialup.

The version I have just installed, 1.0, was only released in the past few days according to the website.

The home page www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ (go to: www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/switch.html) provides Flash, Java, QuickTime, RealPlayer (RealAlternative is better), Windows Media Player etc.

All my IE Favourites and preferences were transferred with a click of the mouse during installation.
Mozilla's Update. - buzbee
Thanks for that. Just off to download version 1.

Mozilla's Update. - buzbee
Firefox now installed. Things are opening quicker than they were with OE. One happy bunny, I think.
transferring favourites - Imagos
Getting new PC next week, trouble is We've no end of favourites that we want to keep/transfer.

Is there anyway of doing this? Got windows ME at the moment and getting XP.

thanks.
transferring favourites - Dynamic Dave
Go into the C drive and search the relevant directory your favourites are in. Copy them to floppy disc ##. Can't remember exactly where the directory is, but I *think* it's on the Windows one. Once you've got your new pc up and running, copy them back from floppy to the C drive. In XP, the Favourites file is in the Documents and Settings directory.

## I've literally got 100's and the file size is less than 200kb, so you'll easily fit them on a 1.44mb floppy.
transferring favourites - Imagos
Thanks Dave, I'll try that.
transferring favourites - smokie
Presuming you mean IE favourites, in recent releases, under teh File menu, there is an Import/Export button for precisely this purpose. And you can copy your cookies if you want.
transferring favourites - Stuartli
Further to smokie's tip, IE's Help pages (it's what they are there for as with all MS programs and applications) fully details how to import and export various files etc.
Computer Security - tack
Do you bank on-line? Don't do it!
Do you have dial up internet? Get broadband!
Do your kids download music? Don't let them, give 'em the money to buy the albums!
Do you use street based cash machines? Don't. Use the ones in the bank or get cashback at the supermarket.

Why?

I work in an "industry" that deals with the effects of these problems. I can tell you now that attacks via the net and at cash machines is increasing day, by day, by day, by day.

I used to bank on line for convenience, but after what I have seen I will never do it again because I am never ever sure of what is going on (even with a virus checker or firewall, I don't have the confidence that the bad guys can't get through)

If you use the net, keep nothing private on your hard drive. Invest in a portable USB hard drive for your private files and disconnect it when on the net.
Reinstalling OS - Robin
I have just had to reinstall Windws XP. I don't why it went wrong, it just did. I have only started using XP relatively recently so have not really got the hang of it. Hence, no restore. All my programs are still on my disk but do not work - ie they need reinstalling too. A couple of questions:
1. Do I have to reinstall MS Office progs or is there a way I can make XP recognise they are on the disk and run them;
2. Where are Outlook mail files kept and what are they called?

I don't want to reinstall Outlook before I have rescued my mail and contact files. Past experience has taught me that they will be overwritten when I reinstall.

And no, I never learn. this time though, I have a couple of boxes of blank CDs witing to be used for backups.

Cheers
Reinstalling OS - carl_a
1. Your better off installing it again otherwise you may have problems in the future with programs that link to Office.

2. For outlook express go to
ask-leo.com/how_do_i_move_my_outlook_express_folde...l

your default directory will be something like C:\Documents and Settings\Carl\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{594180AE-3CA6-4C21-A049-F023CAFA72E0}\Microsoft\Outlo
ok
Express

(thats my default directory)

For Outlook: email.about.com/cs/outlooktips/qt/et102102.htm
Reinstalling OS - smokie
I don't think your document libraries are at risk, most product installs these days are less flakey than they used to be (they tend to use standard installers e.g. msi which mean that some programmer hasn't had to cobble together a script to install).

But to be safe, copy then elsewhere on your computer before installing.

Yes, you will need to re-install if you have re-installed the OS, otherwise the registry entries will not get set up and the product will not work.

Outlook files end in .pst and Carl is about right in where they go by default.
Reinstalling OS - Adam {P}
Robin, when you say you reinstalled, did you format the hard drive first?

I understand you'd have to back up what you need on, say, a cd but it's far more reliable because 9 times out of 10 it gets rid of the problem. I speak to people who install over a previous installation but given how complex Windows is, complicated matters further by installing over it seems like craziness to me.

I did it once and experienced no end of problems - granted, I wouldn't be able to say specifically it was that that caused it but...

Sorry I can't help you with Outlook reinstallation but if you have more problems, I would advise wiping the hard drive an starting over.

System Restore - DON'T GET ME STARTED!

:-)
--
Adam
Reinstalling OS - Robin
Many thanks for all the suggestions, I'll sort it out this evening. I had to do a complete re-install of XP but did not reformat the disc as I did not want to lose all my data.
Slow screen icons -win98SE - buzbee
I love desktop icons and have ones that can Zap my cookies and replace them with just the ones I like to keep, I have Reclean, and RegDetective for finding clag left behind from old uninstalled programs and one to go to a full screen DOS view, etc.

Altogether my system is usually very stable (unless I do something risky/drastic/silly and I have a registry backup to get back after that) but get a few years in after a re-install,like two, and the screen icons (pictures) start filling out in dribs and drabs, whereas with a new install they flash up in one go. .But the system is not noticably slower in general.

Anyone know how to get the icons to flash up again or what the sporadic cause is?
Slow screen icons -win98SE - Altea Ego
I call it the windows ageing process. It takes longer in XP but it happens all the same.

The registry gets longer, and fragmented. It has lots of redundant items in it. The disk gets fragmented as does memory allocation. Lots of useless, wrong or redundant items in ini and sys files get loaded. Files get appended but in a disjointed and fragmented way. Lots of silly drivers and stubs are loaded. Fixes are slapped on like sticking plasters & Windows develops memory leaks.
All in all Windows is carrying the baggage of history and use.

About two years is the term for a heavy user and a complete (reformat) reload is the cure.

Its not just a windows unique problem.
Slow screen icons -win98SE - buzbee
I feared as much, but hoped someone had a magic wand I did not know about. Thanks for coming back.
Stormer Spyware - suffolkbee
I recently had a pop-up for Stormer Spyware. I clicked on it and it scanned my computer and told me I have 11 infected files for "adware" and that I could clear these files by paying a one-off $30.

Is this software genuine and is it worth the money? What dangers does adware pose other than the annoying pop-ups that have got through my firewall software.

Suffolkbee
Stormer Spyware - Stuartli
>>Is this software genuine and is it worth the money? >>

This is an old trick to get you to part with your money.

All the software you need is free and proven by millions of users; they include Ad-aware SE Personal (www.lavasoft.com), Search and Destroy 1.3 (www.safer-networking.org/en/download/) and SpyWwareBlaster (this works in the background).

All merely require downloading, installing and then immediately updating. Then run a scan with S and D or Ad-aware (they work well in conjunction with each other) and they will find any unwanted spyware etc. You can then delete or immunize them.

Free anti-virus utilities include the first class AVG from www.grisoft.com - AVG7 Free has just been released. Again it has to be downloaded and then immediately updated.

If you use its e-mail virus checking (and you should) delete this feature in your firewall, such as ZoneAlarm.

Sorry if you already have these features, but they are such valuable utilities in the security field that it's worth going over them again.
What's for you won't pass you by
Stormer Spyware - suffolkbee
Many thanks Stuartli that's top advice.
On the subject of Adaware.... - frostbite
I have noticed that, despite downloading update 'reference' files into the adaware folder whenever they appear on zdnet, about every 14 days, the program 'skin' declares that it is using a reference file dated July!

Am I doing owt wrong?
On the subject of Adaware.... - Stuartli
>>Am I doing owt wrong?>>

Most likely reason is that you are using an older version; no updates are provided for these after about six weeks of a new version appearing.

Latest is Ad-Aware SE Personal Build 1.05.
On the subject of Adaware.... - Stuartli
PS

Updates are much, much more frequent than every 14 days. Do updating direct from the Ad-Aware main panel i.e. the Check for Updates link.
defragmenting & screen size problems - andymc {P}
My machine is pretty old (5 years!) - 4 GB hard drive, 64 MB Ram, Windows 98, slowish processor, only about 130 MB free. I run Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton Internet Security and the Norton Utilities package.

A few days ago, I decided to defragment the hard drive using the NU Speed Disk (can never seem to get the defrag in Windows System Tools to work, keeps restarting and I can't work out what's writing to the disk that causes this). Anyway, one of the features in Norton Utilities is called "Image", which started to run while the defrag was in progress. It slowed the whole thing up drastically - even if I clicked "Stop" and closed it, Image would still try to run again a moment later. Even after stopping it by using Ctrl/Alt/Del and selecting End Task (for Image), the defrag proceeded extremely slowly - and the display seemed to indicate that the fragmentation was far worse than before. I left it to run overnight, but by the end of the following day it was still virtually at the same point as about 30 hours before.

Thinking that the process was still being held up by Image (or perhaps some other programme) trying to run while the defrag was ongoing, I stopped the defrag and ran msconfig to restart the machine in safe mode, so that no other programmes would be running. It still took about 15 hours for the defrag to complete, but finally it's done.

One aspect of running in safe mode seems to be that the colour display defaults to 16 colours, and the screen size goes down to 640 x 480 pixels. However, this restores to 256 colours and 800 x 600 once I'm running normally again.

The problem this time is that today, once I ran msconfig to restore the selective startup, the machine did not restore to my normal colour and display settings. No problem, thought I, as I changed the settings, hit Apply, and restarted the computer at the prompt. D'oh! Still on 16 colours and 640 x 480. I've tried restarting 5 times, even just changing one thing at a time, and still no joy - it's as though I hit Cancel instead of Apply (and no, that's not the problem!).

I have pretty much reached the end of my limited PC knowledge. If it's something to do with having to edit the registry, I wouldn't have a clue what to do. I can't think of anything else to tell you, but if more information is needed to make a diagnosis I'll do my best. I hope someone can help as everything on my screen looks weird now - HJ's pic at the top of the page now puts me in mind of something from a movie like The Omen!

--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
defragmenting & screen size problems - frostbite
Did you try clicking on OK as well as Apply?

Probably a daft question but I'm floundering too.
Yep, did it both ways, no difference.
Couple of other things have occurred to me - when I restarted the computer in safe mode, it displayed a list of options on a DOS screen (ie not in Windows mode, but what the screen looks like before Windows loads, just ordinary characters on a black screen) - Normal and Safe mode were two of the options, I think there were another three but I can't remember what they were. At the time, I selected Safe mode. Perhaps I should go through that process again and see does the same list come up.

Also, when I restarted in normal windows mode, it asked me for a Windows password, something I don't remember seeing on this machine before. Luckily I remembered the correct password from years ago. I'm wondering if it has somehow logged me in as a different user, but there's no indication of that. Also, I don't remember creating a login user ID for myself, the computer is normally just switched on, loads various startup programmes such as NIS and PopUp Stopper etc, then asks me if I want to update NIS. No passwords or anything.
--
andymc
Wouldn't worry about the options list - I have chosen to have that displayed for a few seconds on every bootup.

What does bother me from your description is that free space - windoze must really be struggling with that - is there something or some things you could do without to free up ideally another 3-400mB?

I'm not certain this could be strictly related to your video display problem, but reckon it would be a good basis to start sorting out from.
One further thought - have you run scandisk at any time? If the bootsector has been corrupted it should find it and fix it.
I ran the Norton System Check programme after the reboot to Normal, which only identified low memory (as usual) as a problem. It checks everything from disk integrity to registry errors. I know what you're saying about memory, I actually have plans to get a guy who knows about these things to cannibalise this machine and another one to create something with about treble the memory and processor speed. However, I just hadn't got around to it yet!

The main reason for the lack of memory is that there are a number of short mpegs (120 MB worth) of family videos that were taken with a now-defunct digital camera - these only exist on the hard drive and I was hoping the chap I mentioned would be able to transfer them somehow, as it is the only video footage of some important memories. All the mpegs are too big to transfer onto a floppy disk, so I can't transfer them that way. As it currently exists, the machine doesn't have any USB ports for those little keyring memory chips, and the printer port seems to no longer be recognised by the machine, plus there isn't a CD-writer drive - perhaps there's a way of attaching one of those keyring things via a USB to old-machine adapter type thingmy (always been one for precise descriptions!).

Anyway, that's a bit of a distraction right now. I'm still looking at a shrunken screen!
--
andymc
One possible solution could be to put another HD in and transfer things like mpgs to that - your machine will be unusual if it doesn't have a spare plug on the ide ribbon and a spare power plug doing nothing.

You can pickup s/h drives very cheaply, esp the smaller 4-10gB ones, and double your capacity at a stroke.

Just wondering if all that defrag time has fried your vid card, or a bit of it? Try pushing it firmly into its slot for starters.
defragmenting & screen size problems - IanT
"...D'oh! Still on 16 colours and 640 x 480..."

You may have accidentally forced this setting in msconfig. Check that "msconfig / general / advanced / VGA" isn't set.

Are you trying to change the settings by right-clicking on the desktop, then "Properties / Settings"? (This is the same as "Control Panel / Display / Settings").

On the settings screen, click "Advanced / Adapter". Is your video adapter correctly listed on the top line? If it isn't, this will explain your problem.

If it isn't correctly listed, check that the video adapter is listed in "Control Panel / System / Device Manager / Display Adapters". If it's not shown here (or marked with an error code), shut the machine down, remove & reinsert the adapter in a different slot, power up and look again. If it is still not there, you may have a duff video adapter.

Let us know what you find.

Ian
(By "correctly listed", I mean it should show the brand name of your video card, not just a generic term such as "Video Adapter")
defragmenting & screen size problems - smokie
Wow. There's a lot of info here to dissect!

1) The presence of MPEGs on disk will have no effect on free memory - on free disk space, yesy, but not free memory. Where are you seeing this message? (There are different places to see available mem in Win98, and often they are not referring to physical memory but to a fixed part of memory e.g. GDI, which might be consistent with your display problems)

2) Well done for stopping the IMAGE. That shouldn't have caused a problem. Not should stopping the DEFRAG, so long as you did it by stopping it properly rather than jst turning off the computer or ctrl/alt/delete. If defrag is "crashed" and it happened to be at an important file (e.g. the registry) then that file is likely to have been trashed. (Defrag picks up files segments at a time and moves them to the free space to allow it to move the next segment of the file next to the existing one. With a small amount of free space it will not be able to do this efficiently. If it was mid-move when crashed, then it will have lost track of what it was dealing with and where it dumped it).

IMHO defrag is pretty useless these days. it used to be invaluable when disks were slow and having a file contigious made for faster reads, as the heads didn't have to skip around looking for the next part of the file. Defrag could also sometimes save a little space, which used to be important too.

But now modern disks are much faster, and the newer ones have 8mb or more cache which predictively loads data anyway, so defrag really is a waste of time and effort in most instances.

3) You will probably need to reload the drivers for your video card to recover your screen size. Although display problem could be entirely due to lack of free space, and not enough room for swapfile to extend into. Or your registry could be damaged.

4) From memory, Windows password only happens when it thinks Windows networking is present. Clicking cancel causes it not to appear again...?

Conclusion - free up some disk space asap and see what happens.

defragmenting & screen size problems - Dalglish
But now modern disks are much faster, and the newer ones have >> 8mb or more cache

>>

defrag in this case may have been a good idea - bearing in mind that he has a 4mb disk over 5 years old. but than he has very little unused disk space and so the first port of call should have been to get rid of redundant files.

agreed - re the confusion between ram memory and disk storage space.

as for original query - see a previous volume where i replied to similar/same question by "hf" . a forum search should discover the details.

Wow, a lot of stuff to digest here. Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. I'll try to go through all this step by step.

"Check that "msconfig / general / advanced / VGA" isn't set."
It's not - in fact, that option is greyed out and it seems I can't change it from what it currently is even if I want to.

"Are you trying to change the settings by right-clicking on the desktop, then "Properties / Settings"? (This is the same as "Control Panel / Display / Settings")."
Yes, that's what I was doing.

"On the settings screen, click "Advanced / Adapter". Is your video adapter correctly listed on the top line? If it isn't, this will explain your problem."
It says the Adapter is Intel 740 AGP. I'm guessing that's correct as I don't know what else could/should be there.

"If it isn't correctly listed, check that the video adapter is listed in "Control Panel / System / Device Manager / Display Adapters".
It shows the same thing there. Plus, when I click on its Properties, it says "This device is working correctly." - I guess that means it's probably as it should be?

However, scrolling further down the System Devices list in Device Manager, I saw an exclamation mark beside Direct Memory Access Controller. Clicking on its Properties brought the following up:
"The VDMAD.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver (Code 2). To fix this, click Update Driver to update the device driver."
However, when I did this it ended telling me that "the best driver Windows found is already installed for this device."

"1) The presence of MPEGs on disk will have no effect on free memory - on free disk space, yes, but not free memory."
Sorry, I should have said disk space. I see a message about this any time Norton System Check runs (I set it to run once a week in order to try and keep the machine working at its best) - it always flags up that there is only 2 or 3% free space. I really don't want to delete those mpegs for sentimental reasons, but I'll explore transferring them (or getting someone else to!)

"2) Well done for stopping the IMAGE. That shouldn't have caused a problem. Not should stopping the DEFRAG, so long as you did it by stopping it properly rather than jst turning off the computer or ctrl/alt/delete. If defrag is "crashed" and it happened to be at an important file (e.g. the registry) then that file is likely to have been trashed."
Ah. This may have happened, as one of the times that Image tried to run (the darn thing just wouldn't quit!), it froze the computer while the defrag was in progress when I clicked Stop. I got the blue screen with the message about the system being unstable - however, clicking any key to return to Windows produced no result, nor did pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del to restart. After waiting nearly an hour, I guessed it wasn't going to unfreeze so I (reluctantly) switched it off at the power button, then back on again a few minutes later. Image tried to run, then flashed up a message saying it couldn't run because the drive was 91% fragemented, and to defragment the drive ...

"3) You will probably need to reload the drivers for your video card to recover your screen size. Although display problem could be entirely due to lack of free space, and not enough room for swapfile to extend into. Or your registry could be damaged."
I've run Norton System Check since all this happened, but it didn't flag up anything about registry problems. Since it has caught this once or twice in the past, I'm guessing that it would have done so this time. I've also run Windows Update, just in case that spotted anything missing, but no joy there either.

"4) From memory, Windows password only happens when it thinks Windows networking is present. Clicking cancel causes it not to appear again...?"
I thought so too but when I tried that, it told me it was an incorrect password - hmm, or was that when I just hit Return without typing anything? I'll double check that at the next restart.

"as for original query - see a previous volume where i replied to similar/same question by "hf" . a forum search should discover the details."
I think that brings me to a similar point as before, where it says the best driver for the is already loaded.

GNNNN!! 8-(

I am very grateful for all this advice, please keep it coming!
--
andymc
andymc -

1. try removing graphics card, and then re-instaling it, followed by the instructions as given in section 3 of
www.exonet.com.ar/drivers/Video/Intel%20740%20AGP%...0(art.945)/WIN9X/README.TXT

2. if you do not have the drivers, try

support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel740/
and
downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results...1

if you give more details of your hardware, motherboard, monitor, video card etc., it might help trace your problem.

andymc -

p.s. also look at
www.beemerworld.com/tips/driversbug.htm

defragmenting & screen size problems - smokie
Free up some space!
'Messenger service' grey pop-up - Oz
Following confirmation from this thread that it's safe to re-install Windows XP - no damage to applications or data, etc. - I did so. Desired effect achieved, thanks: slow running cured. :-)

However one little annoyance has been re-introduced and (mea culpa), I have forgotten the answer to the following question which I seem to remember was quite a simple one:
How do I get rid of the persistent and annoying 'Messenger service' grey pop-ups? Apologies if this has been recently posted.

Oz (as was)
'Messenger service' grey pop-up - Dynamic Dave
How do I get rid of the persistent and annoying 'Messenger
service' grey pop-ups?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=25...5
'Messenger service' grey pop-up - Stuartli
In Run, key in services.msc and then, when XP's Services panel comes up, Disable Windows Messenger. You don't need to reboot.
PS

You have to right click on Messenger and then select Properties - use the drop down menu to set Disable.
PPS

If you would like to know more about which XP Services to set as Automatic, Manual or Disable, go to:

www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Follow the guidance referring to Home or Pro. It's a very sound website and widely referred to from all over the world.
'Messenger service' grey pop-up - Welliesorter
I have a feeling that some of those replying are confusing Windows Messenger (similar to MSN Messenger) with the messenger service.

It's the latter that causes the grey pop-up boxes. I believe it's disabled by default if you have all the latest updates. If you are getting the spam messages, it may be that you don't have a firewall!
'Messenger service' grey pop-up - Dalglish
I have a feeling that some of those replying are confusing
Windows Messenger (similar to MSN Messenger) with the
messenger service.

>>

welliesorter - how so ?
when the link quoted by dynamic dave takes you to this reply:

do you mean msn messenger or windows messenger ?

either way, the links from google search will tell you what to do. eg

msn-messenger v 4.x
www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/messenger/messenger...p
www.updatexp.com/disable-messenger-msn.html

windows-messenger
www.updatexp.com/messenger_service_spam.html

'Messenger service' grey pop-up - Dalglish
p.s. - since the links quoted above did appear as live links, here they are in full

Differences between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger
www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/messenger/messenger...f

Disable Windows Messenger 4.x
www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/messenger/messenger...p

How To Disable Messenger MSN
www.updatexp.com/disable-messenger-msn.html

Stop Messages from the 'Messenger Service'
www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/messenger.php
www.updatexp.com/messenger_service_spam.html

it may be that you don't have a firewall!>>

XP (and with SP2) the (already available) firewall is set by default.

However, it's best to go with ZoneAlarm Free or similar as these are superior to the Windows firewall. It can be disabled from the Security Center (correct).
.ISO file extension - Vin {P}
I have acquired a file with a .iso extension (it's software in some format). Anyone any idea what I need to do to turn it into an executable?

I've tried searching, but ISO turns up a million Internations Standards Organisation results.

V
.ISO file extension - Number_Cruncher
Vin,

It sounds like it is an ISO image file. If you write to a CD, using the 'write from image' option, or similar, then the contents will emerge when you read the CD in later.

number_cruncher
.ISO file extension - Vin {P}
Thanks, that's sorted it.

V
.ISO file extension - malteser
Or perhaps you could use "Isobuster" (Google for the site) There is limited functionality in the free version, but it is enough for most simple tasks. It will convert image or .iso files to text, .exe and so on. Just try extract raw data & save to somewhere you can find it and you can run the program from there.
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
.ISO file extension - SjB {P}
I know you're sorted now, but for information: I found the answer as the first hit returned from Google.

The key was to search for .iso and not just iso.

My full string was .iso extension
CD-RW issues - borasport20
I'm not expecting an answer here, but if anybody can point me in the direction of resources that might help -

my pc is based on a Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+ motherboard with an intel 633 processor, 512k ram, windows 98se and all drivers are up-to-date as far as i can tell.

some while ago I began to have problems burning cd's to my samsung SW-216 cd writer. Now i had to reconfigure the machine the other week (it was 2 hd's on one ide cable and 2 cd's on on ide cable), and now, no matter how I configure it, if the samsung cd-rw is connected, then the pc either blue-screens on boot up, or boots but the minute you access explorer or 'my computer' it hangs

but when I try installing the cd-rw on another m/c at work, there is no problem !

CD-RW issues - Mark (RLBS)
have you checke for device conflicts ? (irq settings)
no device conflicts (at one point, i'd stripped most of the devices that might conflict out) - the next move is to put a different rw or even read-only on the slot
CD-RW issues - Altea Ego
Sounds like a master slave issue or a DMA issue

You have 2 IDE channels, (so thats two ide cables)
Each channel/cable must only have 1 master and 1 slave
This is changed by moving a jumper on the drive.

To start diagnosis, just install your Boot/OS disk on one channel jumpered up as master, boot up and test

Install second disk on SAME channel jumpered as slave, boot and test.

Install first CD drive on second channel jumpered as master, boot and test,

Install second CD drive on second channel jumpered as slave,
Boot and test.

Dont install CD/DVD drives on same channel as disks, they use seperate DMA/IO schemes and the whole channel may slow to the slowest device (cd)

Make sure the 80 pin cable (its got more thinner cables) goes on the disk drives.
RF - Rest assured that in the 11.5 hours I spent trying to get the thing working yesterday, all possible master/slave combinations were tried, including the one in the samsung manual (the last resort), and they didn't make a blind bit of difference.

currently I have installed a 52x readonly cd in my pc where the cd-rw was, and it works perfectly, and the cd-rw is sat in my work pc , where it appears to read perfectly, but I haven't got any drivers for xp to write to it !

CD-RW issues - Altea Ego
You wont need any drivers for it on XP. Should say "ha ha thats a CDRW and i will embrace him as so".

Stop mucking about, its had it, chuck it out aqnd buy a new one. Less than 20 quid for a CDRW these days,
No, it will say 'that is a CDRW for which you need to get updated drivers from roxio'
And in the work pc you can write to it with windows media player !

CD-RW issues - Stuartli
CD/DVD-ROM and rewriters don't require any drivers other than the standard Windows CDROM driver which installs automatically - it's software such as Nero, EasyCD Creater etc that's used to use the rewriters as intended.
CD-RW issues - smokie
Is it recognised correctly in the BIOS?

At what point during Boot Up does it blue screen?

Is there any error or code on the blue screen?

Tried taking all other drives out and seeing if you can boot from a floppy to DOS prompt consistently (ten or more times...)?

Will it come up in Safe Mode? And can you Explore then?

Have you tried it on both IDE cables (in case one has a bad wire - unlikely)?

If you don't access the writer does the system work OK otherwise, when it is in?

Poss the windows 98 driver is bust. Roxio often doesn't sit happily with Nero on the same system.
CD-RW issues - smokie
And there's more...

Does it make any difference to the booting whether or not there is media in the drive?

If you manage to get it up (oo'er missus) and insert pre-recorded (i.e. music CD, not CD-RW) media does it autorun OK? (i.e. read). If not what happens? Do the front lights flash or doesn't it know something has been inserted? (Lights should flash even if you insert a CD when booted from DOS, see above)

Do the lights flash OK at power on? (usually green only IIRC).

Do you do anything different when it does or doesn't blue screen?

When trying to access it in Explorer are you using different CDs? (i.e. not just one bust CD is it?)

Your poor performance pre-this problem could be solely down to dodgy media, and unrelated to current problem.

Sorry of some of this is obvious, I've just spent a (successful) few days diagnosing and fixing DVD writer problems...I was about to order a new one but it turns out there is nothing wrong with the old one.

Or, to put it another way, a new one wouldn't have worked either...

That was a wicked combination of firmware, media and software problems. Upgraded firmware, downgraded software, replaced media. It's now 90% OK. I can live with that.

Video Viewing Problems - SjB {P}
Toshiba Tecra laptop, running XP Pro SP2 with Windows Media Player v9.

Copied .avi video from digital camera to laptop.
Plugged in lead from laptop (yellow video socket and headphone jack) to the three coloured video and audio input sockets on the TV.
Played video.

What happened?

Perfect sound, and perfect picture of everything that was also shown on the lap top display, except for the Media Player video window, which appeared as a large black box. i.e. no video.

I 'solved' the problem by playing the video directly from the camera to TV, but would like to fix the problem with doing so from the laptop.

Although I appear to have all the correct codecs, I guess it's a driver issue, but haven't been able to find a solution on the web (including BR search).

Any ideas from BRers, please?
Video Viewing Problems - smokie
I've had problem with Media Player not wanting to play, or stalling during playing files which will play elsewhere OK.

Try another player (e.g. www.divx.com) - IIRC it came with more codecs. But it isn't as fully featured as WMP.
Video Viewing Problems - Baskerville
The last time I had this problem I went into the BIOS and looked for "Video Output". This had three options: PAL, NTSC (or whatever the American format is), and Auto. I selected Auto (it was set on NTSC) and all was fine. This might be your problem.
Video Viewing Problems - Mark (RLBS)
I had this, and never had the time to work out what the problem was. However, changing the output to the external screen only and not the internal and external screens will almost certainly solve the sympton.

its Func-f4 on my laptop, it'll be something similar on yours and it cycles through the combinations as you press it.
Video Viewing Problems - Dynamic Dave

Have you tried updating MS's media player to the latest version?

Version 10.

www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/defaul...x

Video Viewing Problems - Altea Ego
Its called an "overlay" problem.

Video on a windows desktop (and that includes Media player) Is done by creating a "hole" in the windows GDI (the desktop) and pluging a video overlay into it.

Its usually caused by having the quality too high for the physical output device. Try knocking your settings (right click on desktop/properties/settings-quality) down from high quality (ie 32 bit 64 million) down to something else.

Some video cards and drivers just cant get this right at all on anything other than the primary device.

Also lap top makers load cut down versions of the drivers. If you have an ATI/Radeon or Nvidia mobile graphics chip then download the latest drivers from their site and not the manufacturer of the lap top, you get far more options to get video sorted right.

Thanks for all your help BRers.
I have some things to play with this weekend. :-)
Will report back if solved.
The prize goes to ......

...... Mark!

As his suggestion was so simple, I wondered over to the telly and tried it straight away. Success! Switch off the laptop screen (Fn+F5 in my case) and only drive the TV.

Many thanks! :-)
Security Certificate problems -new drive - Vin {P}
Last night, I installed a new drive on my PC. All went well (after the usual hassle of ending up trying every possible jumper setting before getting the damned thing to work).

I've decided that the new drive will hold data only, for logistical and backup reasons. In light of this, I moved over a few directories, all of which, to the best of my knowledge, held data only.

Well, this morning, whenever I try to access a site with any security, I get a message saying there is a problem with the site's security certificate, that it has either expired or is not yet valid.

The timing of this is such that I'm sure it's related to the data move; I've just got no idea where to start in solving this.

Anyone able to give me any clues?

Thanks,

V
Security Certificate problems -new drive - smokie
You can manage Security Certificates in Internet Explorer options, changing settings in the Content tab.

Bit of a guess here - it *could* be that you have moved Documents and Settings (have you?) which by default (in XP, at least) is where your temporary internet files are kept. This presumably includes your previously "accepted certificates", so if you have not reset your new Temporary file locations in IE then it can't find the certs you have previously accepted. (See General/Settings to move locations of temp internet files)
Security Certificate problems -new drive - Altea Ego
Is this XP vin? Internet Explorer?

How did you move them? dragging and dropping or command line stuff? Unless you moved any directories relating to explorer or personal settings then it should'nt be linked.

Quick word of advice - Check your PCs time and date settings!