Absolutley gutted! - Sunny22
Ok, here goes. I applied for a job at bmw as a trainee sales exec and went for the interviews and got the job. Great i thought.

But i told a 'friend' of mine that i got the job, and he wrote in a letter to them just basically slandering me! They have now told me they would get back to me but it has been 3 weeks now and still nothing. They cant do this can they? I have turned down three other jobs even before this letter was sent in.

I cant believe someone would/had done this.

Anyone got any ideas on what i can do? They havnt rang me or sent me a letter or anything.

Do i have any legal rights?

I know its not that much to do with motoring but i need some help!
Absolutley gutted! - Happy Blue!
If BWM say that the letter was the main reason for withdrawing the job offer, you can sue your 'friend'. Go to see a lawyer if you firmly believe that the letter has caused this situation.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Absolutley gutted! - tyre tread
When you say you got the job, do you mean you received an offer in writing? If so, then a contract has been formed and you can, if you feel it prudent to do so, pursue the employer for specific performance.

A contract may have been formed if the offer was verbal but it is very difficult to prove that an offer was made and under what terms

It is usual however, for job offers to be made subject to references and the employer may see your "friend's" letter as a refernce, albeit an uninvited one.

I would suggest that your legal recourse, assuming you have any, is against your "friend".
It definatley was the reason, i had a start date and the lot. My 'friend' is a coward and put a fake name on it. So got no proof! Argh! And have nothin actually in writing from bmw... screwed arnt i...
Absolutley gutted! - Altea Ego
Did you have a firm Job offer in writing giving you a start date and your terms of employment?

No such letter, no job and no comeback.
They invited me in to show and discuss the letter with me. It was so poorly written and i thought they were having a laugh!

Renault what your sayin is true...
Absolutley gutted! - Schnitzel
8< SNIP 8<

Not helpful.

No Dosh
Backroom Moderator
Absolutley gutted! - BazzaBear {P}
Surely if the letter is so badly written, and the person named on it doesn't even exist then your best course of action is to go and talk to them, calmly and reasonably, and point out that it is from a completely untrustworthy source?
Absolutley gutted! - cheddar
Couldn't have put it better myself. Might be best to get an appointment with a solicitor or at least the Citizens Advice Bureau.
Absolutley gutted! - Mark (RLBS)
>>They invited me in to show and discuss the letter with me.

Presuming that you did so, rationally and calmly, and they still have not extended the offer, then there is clearly an issue.

It would be surprising if a "crank" letter had such a significant effect if there were not associated worries. If there was some truth in it, then you probably need to accept that and walk away. If there was not, then you need to think of some way of showing that it was not the truth and overcoming the credibility and risk issues that you now are perceived to represent.

If I was in their position, then the letter would worry me. Even though what I can or cannot say or do is restricted, my thought process would be;

This man knows dodgy people, clearly. Do I want someone in my organisation with dodgy friends ? Will they show up and cause more embarassment, but this time when he is in my showroom ? To what level are his friends "dodgy" ? Could there be loads of trouble potential there ? Are there any more allegations to come ? Are some or all of them true, or is there some truth within them ? There are plenty of people available for this job, why shouldn't I avoid the risk and give it to the second place man ? Is it all too much like hard work and shall I just make the whole thing go away and give the other guy the job ? If I give him the job, and I was wrong, I will suffer for it - is he a sufficiently good sales prospect to justifyt he risk ?

I'd probably begin with a 70/30 thought that I'd be better off going with Man No. 2 - the way that you dealt with this situation would be the only thing likely to change my mind. Simply proving that the allegations were untrue would be insufficient - I'd want to know why I should have confidence that something similar wasn't going to happen in the future. I'd also be interested in your ability to cope when things got tough.

I would emphasise that you could categorically prove to me that the allegations were untrue and the author was a ragin nutter never likely to do such a thing again - and that could still be insufficient. It would all be down to how you dealt with it and what level of loss I thought you were likely to be.

If you did not go in and discuss it, then why not ?

Out of my personal interest, did your "friend" admit he'd done it or say why ?
I hear what your saying mark.

I did go in,was very calm and unbelievabley shocked. I went through each point it raised and explained it. Thats the only thing i could do to prove myself.

They asked me for two references, so i gave them three and just waited. I rang them and the boss said he had only just sent for the references, two after i'd given them to him.

I'm still waiting so it seems they have taken the cowards way out and not even contacted me.

I have yet to confront my 'friend' (he tought me getting the job was common knowledge, but the only person i told was my dad and him!) He sent his cv into them back in march,but they didnt have any vacencies. But when a job became available i applied and got it. Jelousy is the reason.....
Absolutley gutted! - Vansboy
Think I'd look for another job... & another friend!!

VB
Yeah true, but i want to work within the motor industry.Anyone got any ideas where i can apply if yo know what i mean?
Absolutley gutted! - L'escargot
Yeah true, but i want to work within the motor industry.Anyone
got any ideas where i can apply if yo know what
i mean?

Arthur Daley?
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
That doesnt mean much to me?
Absolutley gutted! - madux
You could always send your C.V. to Top Gear.
Absolutley gutted! - Dalglish
That doesnt mean much to me?

>>

as any decent uk search engine will tell you, arfur "her indoors" daley and terry mcann are the joint owners of virtualy every car dealer in this country.

as confirmed by aprillia today in another thread
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=89...7

Absolutley gutted! - Hugo {P}
Sunny,

Just to add to what Mark said, you could invite them to take you on for a temporary contract/trial pertiod for 3 months and see how they like you and you like them.

Mark is right though, much will hang on how you handle yourself and this situation.

At least they have had the courtesy to explain what is going on. That is couteous of them, they could have just turned around and said "Sorry the job is no longer available".

What did you do to upset your 'friend'?

Hugo
Thats the point, they havent been curteous. They've fobbed me off sayin we'll get back to me once the references have checked out. But according to my referees they have had nothing from them.

I didnt do anythin to upset, he's just always been the jelous type. Im only 20 and thought this would be a good job but its all grief...

Might just have to give this arthur guy a try....
Absolutley gutted! - Dynamic Dave
Might just have to give this arthur guy a try....

Yes, E's alright. Well according to the record that was released by The Firm in 1982 anyway.

::Goes and grabs coat::