Nissan Almera 1.6SLX - Rachel R
Can any one help on this: a while back I asked some questions on the board to try to work out what car to get. We want an automatic but I dont want a particularly big car. We decided on a Nissan Almera. Now I'm thinking, how fuel efficient are these? We dont do a huge amount of driving, no more than 40 miles a week, what does the SLX mean? Will we be guzzling up petrol? At the moment we have an exhausted M reg fiesta.

Any comments welcome!!

Thanks

Rachel
Nissan Almera 1.6SLX - runboy
Slightly off-topic! Read in the press that the Almera in the UK has a waiting list. Apparently it has just gone on sale in Russia, and they can't get enough, hence all supply is going over there.

Nissan Almera 1.6SLX - Hugo {P}
SWMBO has a T reg Almera 1.6 SLX Auto (Mk 1) I think this is exactly the same car as you're looking at. Hers is 24k miles with a FSH.

It first belonged to my late mother who had it since 2002 and had no problems with it prior to us taking it on.

Apart from the other week when the wife drove it into the wall neccessitating a front end repair, she has had no problems with it.

It is not too thirsty, we haven't really studied fuel economy but it easily returns 1.6cc mpg. The kickdown is a bit lax on these cornish hills we have here, but selecting the lower ratios when necessary and using the overdrive button where appropriate does improve the situation.

I can recommend it. However, have a good look at what they are fetching on e bay before delving into Autotrader and paying a fixed price. A car similar to ours with 40K miles recently went on e bay for around £2600. I kept a watch on it just in case the insurers were thinking of writing ours off.

Hugo
Nissan Almera 1.6SLX - Cardew
Rachel,
SLX was simply a higher level of trim on older models - more goodies. The new Almera has a 1.5 engine and the trim levels are 'S' 'SE' and 'SVE'.

I think they dropped the 1.6 Auto on the latter versions of the previous model and it was only available with the 1.8 engine.

If you are only doing 40 miles a week(2,000 a year?) fuel consumption is hardly a factor compared with the overall running costs of a car. At 30mpg your annual fuel cost would be approx £250 at 40mpg it would be £190. You would probably expect mid 30's.

C
Nissan Almera 1.6SLX - v0n
According to official data 1.6 GX and SLX 5 door automatic does 0-60 in 12.5 seconds and 34 mpg combined (so you should probably expect around 28-30 mpg in town).
However, 1.6 SX 5 door automatic is somehow lighter and it can do 0-60 in 10.6 seconds and 38 mpg combined...
Nissan Almera 1.6SLX - machika
If you are only doing 40 miles a week(2,000 a year?)
fuel consumption is hardly a factor compared with the overall running
costs of a car. At 30mpg your annual fuel cost would
be approx £250 at 40mpg it would be £190. You would
probably expect mid 30's.
C

Hardly worth thinking about is it. Initial purchase price, cost of servicing and insurance are factors which are much more important.
Nissan Almera 1.6SLX - Hugo {P}
Rachael

Forgot to say that SLX is the specification level for that car. My wife's T reg is this spec and it has:

Electric windows all round
Air con
Electric Sun Roof
Electrick door mirrors
Twin airbags

...and other stuff as well.

But the spec may differ depending on the year it was built, so check it out.

Hugo
Nissan Almera 1.6SLX - JohnX
Mines a 1.6 Gx , which gives about 35mpg average.
Thoroughly reccommend it.Good driving+very reliable.