dodge ram/dakota - welderjames
Can anyone shed any light on the differance between the Dodge Ram and Dodge Dakota,I have only ever seen a Ram in the flesh,but the Dakota seems to be alot cheaper,as I have only seen pictures of the Dakota,is it a smaller version of the Ram,or is it still a fairly big truck like a Nissan Navara or Toyota Amazon thanks.
dodge ram/dakota - JohnPug
Have a look here.
www.dodge.com
Looks like it's a smaller Ram.

Interesting to see Dodge selling the Merc Sprinter in the USA under the their name.
dodge ram/dakota - Mark (RLBS)
The Dakota is still a big truck. It also shares most of the engines with the Ram, but it is smaller than the Ram.

I've never been in a Dakota, but I have peered down at the from the Ram. They're quite a lot smaller - pushing a metre shorter I should think.
dodge ram/dakota - trancer
I thought the Merc Sprinters were sold under the Freightliner name?. The ones I saw being used by FedEx in the US (Business post in the UK) were badged as Freightliners. A further twist, older Freightliner HGV/Artics used to use old Merc E class headlight assemblies and now Merc and Chrysler are one, so maybe there is more to the connection of all three.

As was said before, the Dakota is smaller than the Ram but gives the same fuel economy so don't bother with it.
dodge ram/dakota - welderjames
Had a look at the Dodge site,still difficult to get an idea of its size though,The reason for going for a US truck is I am looking for a promotional vehicle for my metalwork buisness,so a comprimse between looks and price,ie smart looking unusual truck that will get noticed but wont cost a fortune,MPG I hear you all cry,,,the truck will only be used for promotions,or should that be spelt "posing"....
Not sure if the Dodge website gives you these, but as you can see the Ram is bigger. If you want the truck for posing, then bigger is better when it comes to American trucks and beyond that the Dakota is no match for the imposing presence of the Ram. The same could probably be said for the Ford F150 and Chevrolet Silverado.

Exterior Dimensions & Weight
Dakota SLT Club Cab 2WD Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2WD
Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3868 5015
Curb Weight - Manual (lb.) 3852 4961
Wheelbase (in.) 131.00 140.50
Length (in.) 215.10 227.70
Width (in.) 71.60 79.90
Height (in.) 66.10 74.70
Track Front (in.) 61.40 68.00
Track Rear (in.) 62.40 67.40
Ground Clearance (in.) 8.40 8.10

Shame about your price criteria, as the best truck to fit the "unusual" bill and will be guaranteed to turn heads is the Chevrolet SSR.
www.chevrolet.com/ssr/

Whichever one you choose, you have to promise to give No Wheels a ride in it.
I promise that those figures were all nicely spaced before I posted it, hope it doesn't give you a headache trying to read it
dodge ram/dakota - Dynamic Dave
I promise that those figures were all nicely spaced before I
posted it....

Looks fine to me ;o)