Which diesel? - Toxteth O'Grady
I'm currently driving a 2002 Alfa 156 2.0 jts, which I absolutely love, but it only averages about 34mpg (which I know isn't bad for 165bhp 2.0 car).

However, as I do about 20000 miles per year, and with another nipper on the way, I need to cut costs wherever possible. So, together with the insurance and the cost of servicing it, I've been told.. sorry dear.. we've agreed I should change it..

So I'm looking for a diesel. What does everyone recommend?
I'm looking between £7-8000. The main contenders are either..

Focus tdci (can afford a newer/lower milage one, but hate the interior)
Golf td (have to go for an older/higher milage one)

.. but I'll consider most, as long as they are in the 115 - 130bhp/50mpg bracket.. I'm also considering Leon, 307, Mondeo, Laguna..

Any suggestions/recommendations/cars I'm not thinking that I should be..?

Which diesel? - v8man
I personally think you can't go far wrong with the latest generation Mondeo. They sell for silly money and drive far better than the Golf. I've driven lots and they are great.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Which diesel? - madf
If you like driving a Focus is great. A golf is horrible. After an Alfa a Golf would drive like a pram.. perhaps appropriate with your family but:-)

madf

Which diesel? - machika
C5? Plenty around at very low prices.
Which diesel? - PR {P}
If you're considering a Golf, can you not get an Alfa 147 JTD? Dont know if they are that cheap yet but the GF has one which I think is great. She gets 48mpg out of it and it is quite fast (although Im comparing it to a GTA!)
Failing that you should be able to pick up a 156JTD for that money but dont think they're that much more efficient.

The other thing to think of is is it really going to save you money to change? The loss you'll have to take on the 156 will buy a hell of a lot of petrol!
I've only had the 156 about 6 months, and got it for a really good price, so fairly confident I'll recoup almost all I paid for it.

I did consider a 156 JTD but the cost of some of the services (Alfa's in general) looks a bit scarey, and then if something goes wrong.. (not that I'd expect it to - had no problems with the one I have).

I know Ford are pretty cheap to run/maintain, not sure about VW's etc.
Which diesel? - PW

One major drawback to the Focus is lack of boot space- unless going for the estate.

I recently got a 52 reg Mondeo TDCi LX at auction- for a price within your budget. I do about 25,000 miles a year and so far is proving a very good motorway car. The boot is a fairly good size, although too shallow, but can fit in daughters high chair, travel cot and all other bits and pieces for weekends away.

The servicing seems reasonable (although only had to have one so far).

The car is very comfortable, with very good accleration. Only real bugbear is that mine is the 5 speed- and mpg seems to suffer with fast motorway driving (it still manages over 40mpg though- guess I just like the way it accelerates a bit too much).
Which diesel? - AlanGowdy
If a diesel can't give you 50mpg without trying too hard then look elsewhere - that's what I say.
Which diesel? - Quinny100
None of the big diesel cars will return 50mpg consistently unless you cruise the motorways all day and stick to the speed limit. I've owned a few diesels and driven many more, and for my use anything over 40mpg is great. My Mondeo does 42-45 and I'm delighted with that.
Which diesel? - AlanGowdy
Sorry - I didn't realise the thread specified larger cars. Certainly anything over 40 mpg for a Mondeo-sized car isn't bad.

I often smile when driving my 55mpg diesel to see enthusiastically-driven large petrol saloons and sports cars which are probably drinking fuel at the rate of 20 - 25 mpg.

I suppose someone other than the driver is paying the fuel bill.
I certainly wouldn't like to be.
Which diesel? - bradgate
The Skoda Octavia TDI is often recommended in this forum.

My brother has had an Octavia TDI 110 estate (his choice of company car) for 2 years and is delighted with it. 55 mpg, reliable, reasonably quick, practical, quality excellent, good dealers. Highly recommended to those who don't want to spend £1500 on a badge.
Which diesel? - PW

This is what I originally hoped to buy, as apart from a disastrous experiment with a Citroen have always had VAG cars. The Mondeo replaced a Seat Cordoba TDi. Not the most glamourous but exceptionally reliable- and excellent main dealer (although the one I used has now sadly gone bust).

Unfortunately, in 2 months searching the auctions only 1 Octavia came up that fitted the bill- but was out of my budget range.

If is anything like my old Seat- then would agree is an excellent choice.

hmmm... despite only ever hearing very positive things about the Octavia, I'm still not sure I could own one (not sure if I'm a badge snob - I'd be happy with a Ford, and you don't get more common than that!). Maybe it's the name.. Pipkins, anybody?

I realise this is an irrational aversion that may mean I miss out on a decent value for money car.. I'll have to get some therapy for it.

I'm thinking it'll be a Focus or Mondeo. I've read elsewhere on here the earlier Mondeo TDCi's (which is probably what I'll have to go for) aren't all that reliable.. is that the case?