Another whose fault... - PhilDews
Just witnessed an accident in the car park at the supermarket (I did the good citizen role and acted as a formal witness).

The question is whose fault would it be?

A road leads onto the car park. There are no giveway markings. I think Car A (on the road into the car park) was driving too fast. The accident was basically side of Car A driving into side of Car B (Which was already in the car park).

so, whose fault?
Another whose fault... - madf
If you are a witness, you should be saying what you saw, not making judgements as to whose fault it is:-)

madf

Another whose fault... - MarkSmith
I was a witness to an accident once, and (when they wrote to me about 4 months later) the insurance company asked who, in my opinion, was to blame for the accident.

Generally the person already on a road has right of way over someone joinging it. Was it down to Car A assuming the road in the car park would be clear?

-Mark
Another whose fault... - Garethj
How can 2 cars drive into the side of each other? Was it like Steve McQueen's Mustang trying to push the Charger into the petrol station or was one of the cars doing a handbrake turn?
Firstly, I will be recording what I saw. Car A was driving fast, Car B a little slower. Car parked made visibility bad for Car B, and weather was damp, but road was pretty dry

I certainly wouldn't like to say whose fault as from what I can tell its a 50-50. It just got me thinking thats all.

In response to GarethJ, the picture the scene:-

Car A turns into car park going straight on
Car B is already on road that Car A is going straight into. Both cars meet. The side of Car B's bumper is ripped off, whilst Car As' drivers side bumper is scraped. Hopefully that helps!
Another whose fault... - Happy Blue!
Depending on the position onteh road, it sounds like car A is at fault. where were the cars in relation to the middle of the road?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Car A was pulling into the car park, up a one-way entrance (ie no exit) and was in the middle of that road.

I would think, if blame had to be apportioned that Car A was at fault, but with it being a private car park and all that, I wasn't really too sure!
Another whose fault... - MarkSmith
Not wanting to be rude, Phil, but I think you need to give a much clearer, more accurate description of the events to the insurance company than you've given here - points such as it being a one-way road are going to be pretty significant!

Also might help people here to give a useful opinion on fault. Bear in mind that we (and the insurance company) see the scene as a grey featureless void until you've told us what's there.

-Mark
Another whose fault... - Mark (RLBS)
It will never be sorted out.

If both parties remembered accurately, which they won't; if both parties were to be totally objective/honest, which they won't be; and if the car park was perfectly designed, which it won't be; then it would still be a nightmare to sort out.
I guess the question is, if there are no road markings is it a 50-50 fault?

Its a hard scene to describe, but fortunately there wasn't a huge amount of damage, a new bumper & front fog light for one car, and the other car wouldn't need to be repaired (old C reg Japanese 'sports' car, possibly an old toyota)

Mark - you've hit it spot on, these claims are never resolved.

I'm still waiting for the insurance company to resolve a claim after an accident I had in a company car last December (New Years Eve). Still, I've left the company now and they've not charged me anything, so I'm not fussed!!!!