Rough Starting Peugeot 306dt - Toolbox
I have an L plate 306DT with 115k on the clock. On starting from cold, for the first 10 seconds I get a lot of dark smoke and it sounds rough,like one or more cyclinders isn't firing. Initially on releasing the ignition key after a second or 2 of firing up, the engine would stall but it would start and run on the second turn of the key. I now have to keep the key turned for about 4-5 seconds before the engine will pick up and run by itself. Perhaps the colder weather is having an effect. Pressing the accelerator as soon as it fires up helps it to get through the initial rough patch. Once through this rough startup the engine runs fine with no smoke and I get smokeless restarts after 5 minutes of driving.

Could this smoking be down to a faulty glowplug or plugs ? Would this be a good place to start looking ? How can I test a glowplug and what should I be looking for ?

Rough Starting Peugeot 306dt - JohnPug
Probably the glow plugs, one of them apparently is a sod to remove, without removing the intercooler. Could be that someone has replaced 3 before and not that particular one.
Mine need replacing soon, so it's a common problem with Pug 306's.
Rough Starting Peugeot 306dt - Insect
Yep, I'd agree, glow plugs probably need replacing. Try switching on the ignition, waiting for the orange warning light to go out, switching off the ignition and then immediately switching on again. When the orange light goes out the second time, try the starter. If this improves starting, then I think the glowplugs are definitely the culprits.
Rough Starting Peugeot 306dt - Crinkly Dave
Lots of strings about glowplug replacement. At this mileage also worth checking the valve clearances as they tend to close up after 100000
Rough Starting Peugeot 306dt - DL
Wise advice, Crinkly. Just fixed a poor starting 106 1.5D today, tight valve clearances it was.....after the owner had replaced the glowplugs himself after seeking some advice from a bloke down t'pub!

Only 63,000 miles though!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Rough Starting Peugeot 306dt - kevjc
How did you get on with the poor starting? As i am having the same trouble with a P reg Dturbo.