Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - Happy Blue!
I've had a cursory look at both the Saab 9-3 and Audi A4, as both do diesel automatics. In the Saab it's the 150bhp engine and in the Audi it a choice of 130bhp 4-cyl or 163bhp 6-cyl units.

I know most about the Audi 130bhp engine and the need for it to bed in properly and to check the oil before it gives of its best. But what about the other two. The Saab engine is a GM unit, right? Is it noisy and rumbly compared to the Audi units?

What about the cars themselves. I had a very quick look but the only thing I could tell was that the Audi doesn't have folding rear seats but it it seemed to have a less cliff like dashboard.

Any thoughts anyone?

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - Avant
Espada - I have an A4 Avant with the 2.5 6-cyl engine (163 bhp - there's also a 180 bhp version in the quattro, which was too expensive). It has the multitronic transmission; the quattro has a normal auto with tiptronic.

11,000 miles so far since March and I love it. So far no problems, touch wood.

Most diesels take a long time to give of their best - certainly VW/Audi group ones - and when it was new I thought it slow off the mark compared with the (manual) Golf TDI estate which I had before it. But it's now loosened up and the step-off is fine.

I did have a test run in a 1.9 130 bhp multitronic A4 - not bad although I really wanted a 6-cylinder, and I think automatics are best with an engine of over 2 litres.

If you have the Avant the back seats fold - not quite flat but almost, and very easy to lower without having to take off the headrests. If aesthetics are a problem the Avant looks less van-like than a lot of other estates.

The new model is coming early next year: the diesel quattro will have a 3.0 V6, and I think there will still be a 2.5 TDI FWD A4 -the car magazines vary. I'm sure HJ can tell us the correct story.

Hace a run in one - you'll like it. I haven't tried the Saab although like you I've heard tell that it's noisy. It's a big engine for 4 cylinders (2.2) - presumably the same one as in the Vauxhall Vectra. A Saab 9.3 2.2 TDI is about the same price as a 1.9 A4, cheaper than the 2.5.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Avant. I know Dulwich Estate has an A4 130bhp Multitronic, so waiting to see what he says.

The only problem with the Audi is price. If I add in all the bells and whistles that you can get on the Volvo S60SE, the Audi 2.5Tdi is about £3,000 more expensive. The Saab looks really good, but I prefer the interior of the others and the engine worries me.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - runboy
I was going to mention the Volvo S50 D SE auto-I'm looking at the petrol equivalent secondhand (2.0l petrol turbo unit). You get a lot for your money on the Volvo.
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - cheddar
The 9-3 now has the Fiat built 1.9 150ps engine as used in the Vectra (on which the 9-3 is based), Alfa 156 etc. Reckon it would be much crisper and more refined that the Audi 1.9 130 PD unit however the A4 will soon have the 140ps 2.0 unit as in the A3 and Golf that should improve refinement.

The Saab appeals more to me though the engine is very new so has not established a reputation yet.
Yes, the more I think about it, the more the Volvo appeals. It has all the kit, will be just a reliable as the Audi and I know the brand as I just sold a S80 2.9.

I only do about 12,000 miles pa, so I don't really need a diesel, other than I like the driving characteristics and as most of my mileage is very urban, I would get a real saving of at least £1,000pa if I swapped from a 21mpg car (which is realistically what I would get in a decent petrol auto) to a 35 mpg car.
--
Forgot to add that my old S80 had one problem, which was a very poor ride over road imperfections; you really felt manhole covers etc.... and the last S60 I drove had a jittery ride. I wonder if the diesels are any better?
--
New S40 136ps 4 cyl diesel is supposed to be excellent.
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - PR {P}
The 150BHP unit in the Saab is indeed the Alfa sourced engine. It is the latest multijet technology engine.
It has been fitted in the 147 for over a year now, without any known issues. The GF has an 8v unijet version (115BHP) and has done 23k in 13months with no reliability issues and zero oil consumption
The 177ps 3.0 V6 Izuzu (as fitted to the 9-5) is also available in the Vectra, wonder if it will appear in the 9-3. Being only 27ps more than the 1.9 this is not especially powerful for it's size though has a broad spread of power and a relaxed nature.
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - Altea Ego
Having driven a few thousand miles with the SAAB 3.0 V6 oil burner I can atest to its seemingly lazy but very very flexible nature.

It has a lovely broad power delivery. Are prone to gum up tho so need a good blast to clean the throat.
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - Ross_D
Thats because its the Peugeot HDi engine, 2.0 16V DI.
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - Ross_D
>>Thats because its the Peugeot HDi engine, 2.0 16V DI.

Sorry that was in reply to:
New S40 136ps 4 cyl diesel is supposed to be excellent.
No, it is the engine that is fitted to the 2.0 TDCi Focus C-Max, a new engine that is a joint developement between Ford and PSA.
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - Buster Cambelt
If the Golf is anything to go by then the new A4 2.0 diesel is going to be even less refined than the 1.9 predecessor. The V6 A4 diesel is a good bet though. On the SAAB front the new engine simply must be more refined than the old one!!
Funny you should say that, a neighbour pulled up in a Golf 2.0 TDi this PM, sounded very noisy at idle and low speeds compared to my Mondeo TDCi.
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - machika
It is noise on the move at moderate to high speed that counts.
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - NowWheels
It is noise on the move at moderate to high speed
that counts.

Unless you want to avoid disturbing the neighbours when you make an early-morning start.

My old Pug 305 diesel was smooth enough once warmed up, but nosiy enough on a cold start that if I was leaving before 7am, I didn't leave it in the garage (which is right beside my neighbour's bedroom).
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - Marc
The 2.2 diesel engine used in some new shape Vectras (and presumably SAABs) is not that economical at around 39mpg. The later 1.9 unit is supposedly much better in this respect
It is noise on the move at moderate to high speed that counts.

Exactly, and the new 2.0 litre Golf / A3 /etc.. diesel is deficient in both respects. At a steady 140kph in a Golf it sounds like the proverbial farm implement.
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - nortones2
A view to the contrary, by somone who knows: "Top gear gives about 33.5mph per 1,000 rpm, so at 100 the engine is only turning a happy and quiet 3,000 rpm. This means it?s very relaxed........" This was the HJ test of the Skoda Octavia, but the story is in line with other comments on the new engine. I've driven the 1.9 over many miles, and at Mway speeds engine noise was low, and that was an engine geared at 28mph per 1000rpm.
Having had a 2.0 Golf inflicted on me by a hire company I go along with HJ's other comments "... you never forget you a driving a diesel" and that it needs to be rowed along.

High gearing equals a propensity to be caught off boost.

I had a 1.9 A4 for 10000 km and it was wretched.
Your A4 must have been poorly.
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - tyre tread
Draove the wifes A4 TDi 110 for the first time in ages the other day and it seems really gutless.

I put some injection cleaner through it and took it for a blast for a week or so but no better.

Apart from timing what else could it be?
If it seems gutless then there is something wrong! Maybe the MAF- many threads on this.
I gues the three loan cars were too.... and the RHD one that SWMBO tried and thought was so gutless it was dangerous?
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - blank
Having had a 2.0 Golf inflicted on me by a hire
company I go along with HJ's other comments "... you never
forget you a driving a diesel" and that it needs to
be rowed along.
High gearing equals a propensity to be caught off boost.
I had a 1.9 A4 for 10000 km and it was
wretched.

I agree - really fail to understand why people put up with the driving characteristics and noise of modern TD's.
Given the narrow torque band of TDs, it makes more sense to go for an automatic, so you are more likely to be in the correct gear. That's why I want one as a good TD auto, is better to drive than most petrol autos.
--
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - blank
Given the narrow torque band of TDs, it makes more sense
to go for an automatic, so you are more likely to
be in the correct gear.

Sounds sensible enough - I'll have to try one at some stage. Couldn't live with a manual one though, with the exception of the new Honda diesel. That engine really moves the game on.
Given the narrow torque band of TDs <<

Disagree, most modern TD's produce stonking torque from 1500 and max power at 4000 providing a very usable rev range.
Get behind a good LPT petrol, masses of torque from 1500 rpm right to the red line and no nasty noise and vibration.
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - daveyjp
And while you are red lining watch that mpg go in to single figures!

The new VAG 2.0 TDi must be matched with the DSG box - with a manual it's a real dog, far too many changes required.
Notones,

I've done a site search on "MAF" but nothing comes up.

Can you point me in the direction of a thread that deals with this subject please?

Ta
TT
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - pd
If you liked the S80 then an obvious choice would be to try the Volvo D5 in its various guises.

It's a decent unit which apart from when cold or under load in the 1900-2200rpm range (when there is some clatter) is generally pretty quiet in the cruise. It's certainly quiter and, perhaps more importantly, more relaxing than the VAG units. Downside is that its not as economical as the VAG 1.9 but then you're getting more power and an extra cylinder.

I'm not actually too sure about diesel autos. The auto seems to have a big impact on the economy of most diesels and some seem to work better as manuals. I'd certainly advise trying both.

Thanks

I've looked at the S60 but the ride is too harsh. I don't need a car the size of the S80 as my wife now has the family bus. With my driving environment I will only have automatics.

I do too much urban driving (and I mean getting stick in traffic and negotiating residential streets off main roads) to keep bending my knee and waggling a stick..
--
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - Martin Sweeney
"Exactly, and the new 2.0 litre Golf / A3 /etc.. diesel is deficient in both respects. At a steady 140kph in a Golf it sounds like the proverbial farm implement."

I've driven thousands of miles in various 1.9tdi models and extensively test driven the 2.0tdi in Touran, Golf and A3 guises. Whilst the 2.0tdi doesn't produce such a sudden surge as the 1.9tdi, it definitely feels strong, smoother and simply more mature. And this is in relatively low mileage 2.0tdi cars. The 140kph statement is simply at odds with what I have experienced with this engine and I haven't read any review which doesn't laud the relaxing and effortless high speed cruising ability of this car, typically at 50-55mpg. My JTD Sportwagon is at it's best as a fantastically smooth high speed cruiser and the 2.0tdi acquitted itself well by comparison. I had 2 tests of the 320d and whilst it felt faster and more flexible and smoother at idle, the 2.0tdi was similarly smooth at and above the speed limit.

Had the V50 2.0d for a weekend and thought it an enjoyable and controlled drive and brilliantly specced in SE with a quality interior.

I've only driven the 9-3 with the 2.2 and couldn't really get past the weakness of the engine. Nice seats, would have to get used to the dash which is a busy plastic wall. I get the feeling it might be brilliant with a decent engine.
Espada III - try: www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/forum/search.h...m

Its the Forum Search (RH column under The Back Room header) : type in MAF, and you'll get a list. Freds TDI site also has much on this subject.
Darn: forgot to say, put MAF in the message body box!
Thanks guys I figures it out :-) and posted a new thread.

Cheers

TT
Diesels; Saab -v- Audi - Emmo
For what it's worth, I've now done a little over 3000 miles in my Vectra SRi with the 150PS diesel engine, and have been very impressed. It performs very well, with loads of torque. I've never felt safer during overtaking manouevres, and it returns around 43mpg for me. If this is the standard of diesel engines today, I can't see me going back to a petrol.