'2nd Car' insurance - Paul531
Hi backroomers, can anyone offer any suggestions?

Until 2 1/2 years ago, we had always had 2 cars.

At that time we had max NCD on both policies.

We still have max NCD on our current car.

We are now buying a 2nd car again.

Our insurace company says that we will have to start with 0% NCD on this '2nd car'.

As a reult, the quote was twice what I had expected.

I have phoned a few other insurance companies and all say the same - some have quoted even higher.

When we first started running two cars in 1994, this did not happen. I am pretty sure that we were offered a '2nd car insurance policy' with the same NCD as our existing car.

Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to insure our '2nd car' - a £600 1991 Volvo 940 GL estate?

Paul {Forest of Bowland}
'2nd Car' insurance - Hugo {P}
Hi Paul.

Try A broker called Peter Goord in Plymouth. 01752 361888.

I had a similar problem recently and they simply found a policy that gave an introductory discount that mirrored the NCD on the main car.

They will want evidence you have another car though. Your reg numer and insurance cert details for the main car often suffice.

We have the Nissan Almera on with NIG, the same group as the Land Rover. There are no limited mileage clauses at all. Each car costs us around £300 P/A. I have full NCD on the Disco and that is reflected on the Nissan, which is accumulating NCD as we speak.

Interestingly enough, I also seem to get a good discount on the van I use for work. The lady at Commercial Vehicle Direct came up with a high figure but then contacted the underwriter to explain I had a good driving record and they halved it!

I'm surprised you haven't found an insurance agent that can organise this for you.

Good luck and May I suggest Mark (RLBS) - one of the moderators - may be able to help more. He just saved me £100 by passing on a piece of info that a broker failed to divulge.
What he doesn't know about the insurance industry ain't worth knowing.

Hugo
Hi Hugo and thanks, I'll give Peter Goord a bell on Monday.

Also i did a google using

'insuring 2 cars NCD'

and came across a thread on a web site called {all the Ws}

theanswerbank

The post was similar to mine - wanting to insure a 2nd car and being told to start at 0% NCD depsite having max NCD.

Two respondants said that elephant and the AA will insure two cars using the one NCD.

I'll see where I get with these two and let you know.

Thanks again.
Paul {Forest of Bowland}
'2nd Car' insurance - daveyK_UK
if your fully comp on one - canty you drive the other 3rd party anyway?
and if you crash and its another road users fault - they will pay out for damages.
'2nd Car' insurance - Buster Cambelt
The third party driving extension applies only to the main policy holder and to vehicles not owned by him / her. Don't try it.
'2nd Car' insurance - Cliff Pope
You could try classic insurance - some companies will count 10 years as old enough - for a limited mileage.
'2nd Car' insurance - BB
I own two cars and was in the same position as you.
I started to build up my no claims bonus on the second car and discovered that elephant.co.uk would insure both cars with the full no claims bonus that I had.

I now have both cars with elephant.co.uk.
Funnily enough, one of my cars is a 2.8 litre VR6. I added SWMBO onto the policy (she had 2 years no claims bonus, I had 8) and the cost went down by £100!
It maybe worth you seeing what you can do with adding extra drivers on there.
'2nd Car' insurance - MarkSmith
A bit late for you now, Paul, but I believe NCB lasts two years "in storage", so to speak. In order not to lose either of mine when I go back to running one car, I plan to swap them over - i.e. 2005 use NCB1, 2006 use NCB2, 2007 use NCB1 again. Neither will then ever expire.

I haven't tested this out yet so perhaps someone will point out a reason why it won't work.

-Mark
'2nd Car' insurance - Mark (RLBS)
There is no reason why it will not work. In fact I recommend it.

'2nd Car' insurance - RichardW
When we went to 2 cars, Direct line offered a discount equal to full NCD as my wife had been on my insurance for 5 years without claim.

Interesting what others say about Elephant though, as I have the 'first' car with them, so will see what they say about the 2nd car next year.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Hi,

thanks all

I insured both cars with elephant.

A good tip re swapping NCD1 with NCD year on year.

Third party is only about £20 cheaper than comp for my cars.

If the car was written off,granted it would not be worth claiming on my insurance wot with the excess and loss of NCD.

Comp also has free windscreen cover TPFT does not.

A few years ago I had an 11 year old Montego - the fuel in the tank was work more than the car. I got a quote for Third party only - it was double my fully comp quote.

Thanks

Paul
Paul {Forest of Bowland}