Lighting regulations & pre 1991 cars - teabelly
Looking in the 1989 lighting regulations they seem to be enforce on cars first used after April 1991. What happens about cars first used between the 1989 date and the date the act comes into force in 1991? I am thinking specifically in the area of foglights and reversing lights. My older car has a pair of rear fogs and a pair of reversing lights. I notice cars made after 1991 seem to have one of each. Which side are they supposed to be and are there regs on wattage for each? Are there any regs on visible white lights from the rear of the car? I have a strange foglight which is just one of the reversing lights with a switch on the dashboard...The 1989 regs say the rear foglight has to be within 400mm of the edge of the car (I am assuming side here) but if the car is first registered before the April 1991 date does that mean it doesn't apply?
teabelly
Lighting regulations & pre 1991 cars - Cliff Pope
1993 Volvo - 2 fog lights, 2 reversing lights.
Lighting regulations & pre 1991 cars - daveyjp
Where only one fog and reversing light is fitted fog must go either in the centre or on the right. My Audi has two of each, the smart has one. First job for the early imported smarts was to swap the fog/reverse lights over.
Lighting regulations & pre 1991 cars - Dwight Van Driver
89 Regs replaced an earlier very similar regulation.

Nut shell:

Fogs - pre 1.10 79 not required. Fitted at or near rear of vehicle. If only one then on centre line or offside. Optional lamp can be fitted to make a pair. No requirement stated in relation to wattage.

Reversing light: Pre 1.7.84 not required. After not more than two. If bulb approval marked no requirement on wattage. Not marked then 1 lamp not to exceed 24 watts.

White visible light to rear. Rule of thumb any other than red to front= only a red light to rear except amber indicator, reversing light, work lamp, interior of vehicle, rear no plate light, taxi meter, route sign for PSV, amber beacons of breakdoiwn vehicles ets and certain lamps of ESV"s )police etc).

DVD

Lighting regulations & pre 1991 cars - richy
My mate's got a Tiger kit car with no reversing light, he says if it had one it would have to work but if none then it does'nt. Has'nt been a problem for MOT's since he built it in 1997.
Lighting regulations & pre 1991 cars - Adam {P}
I've noticed it's usually the bigger cars that have one reversing light and one fog. My Fiesta had 1 of each. The Focus has two reversing lights and 2 fog lights.

I saw a newish Toyota Camry the other day (51 reg - a rare sight) and whilst a big car, only had one of each.
--
Adam
Lighting regulations & pre 1991 cars - Adam {P}
* Usually the bigger cars that have 2 of each - the smaller has one of each!

Too early!!!
--
Adam
Lighting regulations & pre 1991 cars - Dynamic Dave
The Focus has two reversing lights and 2 fog lights.

You sure about that?
Lighting regulations & pre 1991 cars - henry k
>> The Focus has two reversing lights and 2 fog lights.
You sure about that?

>>
IIRC the Focus SALOON has two reversing lights and 2 fog lights.
Lighting regulations & pre 1991 cars - teabelly
Thanks. That makes a lot more sense :-)
teabelly