1.7 td izuzu engine - gingerwinger
i am thinking of buying a astra 1.7 td. the guy says it's got the better izuzu engine witch is better than the vauxhall td engine. is this true and in what way is it better. its on a n plate with 120k on the clock.
thanks in advance
1.7 td izuzu engine - Notty
Yes. It's a good engine but check two things.
Make sure rev counter works because if not faulty alternator which is £150 plus and when aws timing belt last changed?
1.7 td izuzu engine - gingerwinger
will check rev counter. the guy says the timing belt changed 12k ago. i may look thick now but what is aws.
1.7 td izuzu engine - Notty
My mistake. should have been WAS.
1.7 td izuzu engine - Number_Cruncher
While these engines do have expensive alternators, I ran a Nova 1.5TD for over 50,000 miles after the rev counter packed up - I just disconnected it. The alternator was charging the battery correctly, so I just left it.

These engines are excellent if looked after - the valve clearances are typically neglected.

number_cruncher
1.7 td izuzu engine - Railroad.
The Isuzu engine performs better, but the GM engine is cheaper and easier to maintain. I've got a 1994 M reg Astra with the 1.7DTL GM engine, and it's done 190,000 miles. I get a bit of diesel knock when it's cold but once it's warmed up it's fine.

I've changed the injectors and injector pipes, but I don't consider it worth having the fuel injection pump overhauled at a cost of about £400. As long as I can get it through the MOT smoke test I'll leave it.
1.7 td izuzu engine - Sprice
The rev counter not working usually means the alternator drive belt has slackened thats all, a very common problem. It is best to re-tighten it by removing the drivers side wheel, which gives easy access. Another common fault is the brake vacuum pipe attached to the alternator splits, resulting in un-servoed brakes. This part not available from dealer, get second hand, or repair with JB weld or equivalent. Air-bag warning light coming on means alternator over charging, either get fixed, or simply put on rear screen de-mist etc! The valve clearances mentioned earlier are often neglected, if they're correct, the car will start better and run smoother. Good engine otherwise.